Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 02:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Can you write on GMAT pad during the break? (ABCDE grids)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GMAT 2: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 3

Can you write on GMAT pad during the break? (ABCDE grids) [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 17:29
I have found that writing A,B,C,D,E answer options on scratch paper and crossing off the wrong ones is helping me in the verbal section.
however writing each line probably takes 2-3 seconds and will add up during the real GMAT.

Are you allowed to mark these answer grids on the yellow pads during the break?

My GMAT Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/third-time-s-a-charm-142800.html#p1145912
Quant Concept Videos : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/2012/07/gm ... ideos.html
My GMAT Blog : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 550 Q47 V20
GPA: 3.74
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 67 [2] , given: 50

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Can you write on GMAT pad during the break? (ABCDE grids) [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 09:43
This post received
KUDOS
aisha12,
In my case, the timing prompt went away and the test started as soon as I returned to my desk. I was a bit puzzled because I wanted to draw the grids for vebal, write timing for quant and verbal, etc., but did not find a way to do it. If I am allowed to write on the pad during the break as people are saying here, that would resolve the problem.

Kudos is the best way to say Thank you.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 66 [1] , given: 3

Re: Can you write on GMAT pad during the break? (ABCDE grids) [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2011, 15:22
This post received
KUDOS
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 2.9
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can you write on GMAT pad during the break? (ABCDE grids) [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2012, 01:54
This post received
KUDOS
Zynga wrote:
I have found that writing A,B,C,D,E answer options on scratch paper and crossing off the wrong ones is helping me in the verbal section.
however writing each line probably takes 2-3 seconds and will add up during the real GMAT.

Are you allowed to mark these answer grids on the yellow pads during the break?

If you are really into counting seconds here, try writing " a b c d e " in small, cursive hand rather than in uppercase. Saves you 2 seconds per question. Maybe, you could learn to write the five letters as a signature that you can scribble really fast? Saves you 1 more second, probably. LOL!

(People, please don't thrash me for giving out such gems of advice!)

If you like it, Kudo it!

"There is no alternative to hard work. If you don't do it now, you'll probably have to do it later. If you didn't need it now, you probably did it earlier. But there is no escaping it."

710 Debrief. Crash and Burn

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.22
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can you write on GMAT pad during the break? (ABCDE grids) [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 19:34
Yes. You can write anything you want.

I did that too and doing so saves you at least a minute or so.
Current Student

Re: Can you write on GMAT pad during the break? (ABCDE grids) [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 19:49
cvsmech wrote:
Yes. You can write anything you want.

I did that too and doing so saves you at least a minute or so.

Thanks..good to know

did you by any chance also take notes/snippets for RC ? If yes, then how did you draw the grids ?
I mean all grids on page 1 of the pad and all RC scribbling on other pages ?..how did you approach this ?

My GMAT Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/third-time-s-a-charm-142800.html#p1145912

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2279

Kudos [?]: 8819 [0], given: 3667

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Can you write on GMAT pad during the break? (ABCDE grids) [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 20:27
Expert's post
I have drawn the grid during the break as well before the time starts ticking.
Also, before the AWA section (during the beginning and instructions/etc) I used that time to write down an AWA template (if you need that of course) how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Can you write on GMAT pad during the break? (ABCDE grids) [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 20:45
I wasn't allowed to go in the breakroom during my break until I wanted to take the exam.

HOWEVER, before the AWA section, I could write as much as I wanted
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can you write on GMAT pad during the break? (ABCDE grids) [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2011, 13:07
On the real GMAT, can you get more than one noteboard? If so, do you have to fill up the entire previous one?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Can you write on GMAT pad during the break? (ABCDE grids) [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2011, 16:26
yes, you can get more than one noteboard. You can raise your hand to request another, or you can get one during the break. but they have to take the one you have.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

Re: Can you write on GMAT pad during the break? (ABCDE grids) [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2011, 14:45
How many pages is the notebook? Is it thick enough to write on both sides? If you write the ABCDE grids on a piece of paper, are you allowed to keep that piece and get a new book when you run out of space?

Aim for the sky! (800 in this case)
If you like my post, please give me Kudos :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can you write on GMAT pad during the break? (ABCDE grids) [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 19:02
Hey guys I took the gmat today. I was low on time on my last math question and had to guess between two answers. Once the break screen came up I continued to solve the problem because I wanted to see if I guessed correctly. The proctor approached me and said I wasn't allowed to write on the pads during the break. Nothing else happened she just asked me to stop, but just be aware of that.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student

Re: Can you write on GMAT pad during the break? (ABCDE grids) [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 21:13
Took my GMAT today and wanted to tell you folks that I WAS NOT ALLOWED to write anything on my yellow pad during the break.
This was at the Gardena Test centre in Los Angeles
I started writing down the templates for essays before the AWA section when the proctor came in and warned me not to write anything until my alloted time started.

I took both the breaks and in both cases the proctor made sure to take away my old pad and gave me a new one only after she signed me back into the test. In both cases when I returned, I had a couple of minutes remaining.but as soon as the proctor signed me back in, the clock started ticking.
Is this the normal procedure?

Current Student

Re: Can you write on GMAT pad during the break? (ABCDE grids) [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 14:03
Dbalks wrote:
also found I have to take my breaks outside the breakroom..

probably just have the minute where the directions are explained to you do fill out a bunch of abcde grids if you want

Agreed if you are given 2 yellow scratch pads to start with. If you are given only one at first then you dont have any time before the Verbal section to draw the grids

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 550 Q47 V20
GPA: 3.74
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 50

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Can you write on GMAT pad during the break? (ABCDE grids) [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 16:30
I didn't know it is possible to write on the scratch booklet during the break!!! Surprise! Surprise!!

Kudos is the best way to say Thank you.

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.08

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 104

Re: Can you write on GMAT pad during the break? (ABCDE grids) [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 22:45
It seems like it really depends on the test location. What is the abcde writing strategy being mentioned in this thread?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V47
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can you write on GMAT pad during the break? (ABCDE grids) [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 06:06
What I do on my practice tests is to jot five dots instead of writing ABCDE.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 11-15-2011
GPA: 3.33

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 38

Re: Can you write on GMAT pad during the break? (ABCDE grids) [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 01:15
what if you return from the break and realize you still have 2 mins or so remaining. Can't you just write on the pad then?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 26

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Can you write on GMAT pad during the break? (ABCDE grids) [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 14:05
Has anyone found an updated answer to this question? Does it really depend on test center/proctor on whether you can write on the scratch pads during the break? Also, can you start out with two pads instead of just one?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 85

Re: Can you write on GMAT pad during the break? (ABCDE grids) [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 11:36
onsamline wrote:
Has anyone found an updated answer to this question? Does it really depend on test center/proctor on whether you can write on the scratch pads during the break? Also, can you start out with two pads instead of just one?

At my test center (Rome) they allowed me to write in between sections (I prepared tables for verbal) and they gave me a new pad after quant, when I asked.
I am pretty sure they would have given me two pads to begin with if I had asked, but I also have to say that I was the only one taking the test and the proctor didn't even bother to stay in the room.

I guess it really depends on where you are.

Maybe the rules pamphlet GMAC sends you via mail has something to say about this?

"The Burnout" - My Debrief

Kudos if I helped you ;)

Andy

Re: Can you write on GMAT pad during the break? (ABCDE grids)   [#permalink] 29 Aug 2012, 11:36