Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 04:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Canadian MBA choices

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2005, 14:17
CONGRATS!!!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2005, 07:23
I know I'm a bit late for this discussion but I just wanted to share my experience at Ivey. (I was an undergrad there and graduated in 2002). For me, it was an excellent program for my undergrad since I was not sure what field I wanted to go into after so the general management focus appealed to me. I also think that teaching style is a very important factor to take into consideration. The case study method made learning easier for me and I plan to go into an MBA program where there's a heavier emphasis on case studies but not necessarily as high as 90% focus.

I decided to return home after graduation so I cannot comment about the job hunt but most of my friends got quite impressive jobs in banking or consulting.

I plan to do my MBA in the US or Europe because I want to change of scenery (London, ON was a little too quiet for me). The only Canadian school I will apply to is UofT because of its higher repuation and the "big city" factor.

Last edited by kimmyg on 24 Oct 2005, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2005, 08:21
tareks - can you update us with your admissions for Rotman & York? I am considering applying to both for Fall 06 along with US schools..also let me know your application experiences with them(interviews,etc..)

Also, guys, how strong is the Canadian school brand name in US? Are jobs post graduation as strong as it is for US schools,or is the job market limited to Canada only?
CEO
CEO

[#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2005, 15:09
There is some interest in the major Canadian schools by American recruiters but it is important not to overstate the level. Indeed, given the admission price of the major Canadian MBA programs, one could probably obtain significantly greater exposure to the US selective recruiters by attending a Trans Elite school in the US. Of course, the Canadian programs have a number of other redeeming factors. Further, many MNCs, especially the Canadian subsidiaries of the MNCs, recruit at the major schools in Canada.

About 4% of graduates from the Class of 2004 Toronto/Rotman are employed in the US vs. some 81% in GTA, 11% Canada ex GTA, and 3% in Asia. About 5% of Summer internships for 2005 were in the US.

Western Ontario/Ivey is a bit more diversified (as one might expect considering it is not located within GTA). About 8% of its Class of 2004 was in the US, compared to 65% in GTA, 15% Canada ex GTA, and 6% in mainland China.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2006, 17:28
Hjort, from the FT rankings released today, York is now the 'best' Canadian MBA..do you think this is slightly skewed with what everyone talking about Ivey vs Rotman all the time?
Also, York has one of the best ROI's (one of the factors for FT Rankings) which can explain for its rise in rankings..at the same time its placements are as good if not better than Rotman in the last year..
so is the just brand name pulling Rotman and Ivey ahead?
CEO
CEO

[#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2006, 10:40
I still view these three programs as basically comparable in terms of reputation. York has the advantage of momentum, Toronto is the strongest overall university of the group, and Western has its reputation from the past.
Intern
Intern
Schools: UNC Kenan Flagler, Tepper, McCombs, Rotman
WE 1: IT Consulting

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Canadian MBA choices [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2011, 03:46
I am targetting a couple of MBA colleges at Canada for full time MBA to be starting on 2012 -- My initial choices are Rotman and Queens. I am currently in IT consulting and wish to work in Toronto after my MBA in management consulting/product-management. Can anyone please guide me which one will be better to pursue my career-choice?

I think Queens is one-year course. Is it good for career-changers ? Can anyone please put any updates on the same ?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Canadian MBA choices [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 11:00
Rotman has a very prestigious reputation, and Toronto is an amazing market.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 21

Re: Canadian MBA choices [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 19:59
mba22 wrote:
I am targetting a couple of MBA colleges at Canada for full time MBA to be starting on 2012 -- My initial choices are Rotman and Queens. I am currently in IT consulting and wish to work in Toronto after my MBA in management consulting/product-management. Can anyone please guide me which one will be better to pursue my career-choice?

I think Queens is one-year course. Is it good for career-changers ? Can anyone please put any updates on the same ?

Typically, one year programs are not recommended for career switchers as there is no internship to allow you to test out the new career. Both are good, reputed programs.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Canadian MBA choices [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2014, 01:32
Hi guys
Where can i find universities with lower expectation for Gmat and Toefl score , specially in Canada ?
Canadian MBA choices   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2014, 01:32