Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 18:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Canadian MBA's & my strange situation, advice appreciated!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Other, International Business
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Canadian MBA's & my strange situation, advice appreciated! [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 14:55
Hi All

I have a rather strange situation and I'm trying to figure out what to do. Quick background:

Female, aboriginal, 3.3 CGPA from undergrad (excluding some pass/fail courses from my international exchange). Graduated in 2006, worked almost 2 yrs Big4 accounting (no designation), worked at a large Crown Corporation then joined the military. I have a B.Comm.

I am being medically released from the military and can tap into funding for further education. This is where it gets strange.

- total program cost (tuition, fees, books) has to be under $25,000 for a problem free sign off for funding
- I have 24 months effective September 18 2013 to tap into the funding... the program has to end within those 24 months (this is a problem for something like Rotman)
- if the program I am considering is over $25,000 I need to have a majority of it to be funded by scholarships, etc. in order to build some sort of business case to tap into the $25,000

During those 24 months I will be paid a salary of approximately $40,000 gross.

My goal was Ivey or Queen's, but with the funding issues it could be problematic. I'm not sure about Schulich but it looks as though I can do the accelerated MBA and finish up with a tuition cost of about $30,000, but I wonder whether that is better than programs elsewhere. I also want to apply to some decent sub-$25,000 programs but I also want to walk out of the program not thinking I wasted my time/money.

I live in Ottawa but I'm willing to move almost anywhere. I was looking at programs like Ryerson or Concordia (JMSB) as well for "cheaper" options but I really want to set myself on a career with a strong upward trajectory and feel as though I will end up settling in Toronto post-MBA so I wonder whether or not Concordia would be a good investment. I've been researching schools, programs, reputations, etc. and am feeling a bit overwhelmed so any advice would be appreciated!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: ISB '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 15

Re: Canadian MBA's & my strange situation, advice appreciated! [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 17:20
Hey!

I got an email from Rotman this afternoon, they have increased their intake from this batch onwards. So you can still apply if you wish to start this september and it will totally fall within your time limit. :)

Kudos are motivating! :)

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Other, International Business
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Canadian MBA's & my strange situation, advice appreciated! [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 17:46
The program also has to start AFTER September 18... so nope... I basically have one chance for Sept intake. I know. These are pretty ridiculous requirements.
Re: Canadian MBA's & my strange situation, advice appreciated!   [#permalink] 06 Jun 2013, 17:46