Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Apr 2014, 07:36

STARTING SHORTLY:

Dealing with a Ding - Webinar by GMATClub and Admissionado Consulting.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Canadians now increasingly engage in "out shopping" which is

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Canadians now increasingly engage in "out shopping" which is [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2006, 06:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Canadians now increasingly engage in "out shopping" which is shopping across the national border, where prices are lower. Prices are lower outside of Canada in large part because the goods and service tax that pays for the Canadian social services is not applied.

Which of the following is best supported on the basis of the information above?

A If the upward trend in out shopping continues at a significant level and the amounts paid bu the governmne tfor Canadian social services are mainatined, the Canadian goods and service tax will be assessed at a higher rate.

B If Canada imposes a substantial tarrif on the goods bought across the border, a reciprocal tarrif on the cross-border shopping in the other direction will be imposed, thereby harming the Canadian businesses.

C The amounts the Canadian government pays out to those who provide social services to Canadians are increasing.

D The same brands of goods are available to Canadian shoppers across the border as they are available in Canada.

E Out shopping purchases are subject to Canadian taxes when the purchaser crosses the border to bring them into Canada.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2006, 07:43
i'll go for E
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2006, 09:45
I think it is D
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2006, 09:55
I had chosen D as well as that is the most straight forward inference.
But OA is A
Why?
Option A seems assumes something that may be a reach.
Can anyone explain?
This is from a PP test.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2006, 17:15
I must be way off...
I initially thought it was B. Oh well, more practise needed.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2006, 19:42
It should be "A".

According to "A", if people continue shooping abroad (it means less shopping in Canada) & if the amount (collected through taxes) paid to Canadian social services by the government has to be kept same, then tax has to be increased.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2006, 19:59
vivek123:
Isn't A little bit of a reach. The assumption made when choosing A is that there is no other way to compensate for the lost revenue in taxes.
D is more direct.
Could you explain why choose A over D?
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2006, 20:05
cindyn wrote:
vivek123:
Isn't A little bit of a reach. The assumption made when choosing A is that there is no other way to compensate for the lost revenue in taxes.
D is more direct.
Could you explain why choose A over D?

cindyn,

"The same brands of goods are available to Canadian shoppers across the border as they are available in Canada"

is not supported by the argument, it doesn't say anything about the types of goods available in Canada & abroad. "D" may be correct, may not be correct. So little dangerous to select.

Whereas, in "A", the reasoning is perfect & according the what argument says. The tax collection is dropped since people are not shopping in Canada & if the amount collected through tax has to be same, tax itself has to be increased.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 01 May 2006, 03:13
agree with vivek123, "the same brands" is too specific, guess if you buy bread 50% cheaper abroad you don't care much about the brand
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 01 May 2006, 03:45
Good point vivek123. Thanks.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 02 May 2006, 22:00
A again

go,get it........

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 May 2006, 11:41
using POE, i choose A.

Don't you think that in order to answer that question one should know some economic principles, whereas GMAC claims that no specific knowledge is required in answering the verbal questions.

Anyway, I still think that this choice is out of scope.
  [#permalink] 05 May 2006, 11:41