Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 02:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Canadians now increasingly engage in out-shopping, which is

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 3

Canadians now increasingly engage in out-shopping, which is [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 08:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

89% (02:10) correct 11% (04:27) wrong based on 13 sessions
Canadians now increasingly engage in “out-shopping,” which is shopping across the national border, where prices are lower. Prices are lower outside of Canada in large part because the goods-and-services tax that pays for Canadian social services is not applied.

Which one of the following is best supported on the basis of the information above?
(A) If the upward trend in out-shopping continues at a significant level and the amounts paid by the government for Canadian social services are maintained, the Canadian goods-and-services tax will be assessed at a higher rate.
(B) If Canada imposes a substantial tariff on the goods bought across the border, a reciprocal tariff on cross-border shopping in the other direction will be imposed, thereby harming Canadian businesses.
(C) The amounts the Canadian government pays out to those who provide social services to Canadians are increasing.
(D) The same brands of goods are available to Canadian shoppers across the border as are available in Canada.
(E) Out-shopping purchases are subject to Canadian taxes when the purchaser crosses the border to bring them into Canada.

Kindly reason out your responses..
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA Level 2 Candidate
Schools: RD 2: Darden Class of 2012
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 60 [2] , given: 2

Re: Canadian Out-Shopping [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 14:21
This post received
KUDOS
I'm going with A

Social Services are paid through GST. GST = Sales *X%. If Social Services stay the same and the amount of Sales decreases the only way to pay for social services is to increase the % charged on the remaining sales.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Canadian Out-Shopping [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 15:43
on the basis of the information given i would go with d : canadian shoppers are getting the same brands outside the border.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Canadian Out-Shopping [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 09:32
IMO E..from the info given on people going outside Canada for shopping and govt. applying tax in the inside Canada...v cn legitimately conclude E.
IMO D talks about brands availble vich is out of scope.
A is also close but its conditional...so E is the best option in IMO.

OA pls
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 3

Re: Canadian Out-Shopping [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 12:38
Thanks all for the participation! The OA is A. I believe the reasoning given by hogann is logical.. The reasoning clearifies why we should choose option A over other options..
Manager
Manager

Re: Canadian Out-Shopping [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2009, 05:17
Hi,
The reasoning provided by hogann is correct but pls let me know wts wrng in E?..we cn conclude E logically ....
pls correct me if i m wrong!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 6

Re: Canadian Out-Shopping [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2009, 08:48
Answer (E) states that "Out-shopping purchases are subject to Canadian taxes when the purchaser crosses the border to bring them into Canada". If that statement is true then people would not engage in out-shopping purchases since when they go back to Canada they will have to pay taxes anyways, which completely kills the reason why they would engage in out-shopping in the first place. Therefore E is wrong.
Manager
Manager

Re: Canadian Out-Shopping [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2009, 09:25
I got it..thnks! 11MBA
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 643 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Canadians now increasingly engage in out-shopping, which is [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2012, 06:40
Expert's post
Indeed a tough question, considering its words, and must say indeed a great explanation by hogann.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 293

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Canadian Out-Shopping [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 05:24
hogann wrote:
I'm going with A

Social Services are paid through GST. GST = Sales *X%. If Social Services stay the same and the amount of Sales decreases the only way to pay for social services is to increase the % charged on the remaining sales.

Dude, that's a great explanation. Kudos for you!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 291

Re: Canadians now increasingly engage in out-shopping, which is [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2013, 00:39
i wouldn't have thought of A even if I had read the question a hundred times :wall
Re: Canadians now increasingly engage in out-shopping, which is   [#permalink] 16 Dec 2013, 00:39