Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 21:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cancel an appointment or endure the shame?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas, Anderson, IESE, INSEAD
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Cancel an appointment or endure the shame? [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 03:17
Hi guys,

I am having a nervous break-down because of the following retake situation:

Before the summer time I took the GMAT with the aim of reaching 650-700. After a couple of MGMAT practice exams and the GMATPrep material, and a crappy situation with my girlfriend, I was ranging around:
- MGMAT#1 580
- MGMAT#2 620
- GMATPrep #1 590
- GMATPrep #2 580

I went to the exam in early May, clearly far from ready, and scored a sorry 560! Left really depressed and unmotivated.

I took a complete pause during the summer and then retook my conquest of the exam in the beginning of Sept. I wanted to give myself 3 weeks since a friend of mine, who is also an engineer with similar grades--GPA--from grad school, did roughly the same thing and nailed a 700+. I have studied quite a bit during Sept but without no explicit game plan, just doing problems and more problems and reviewing the math concepts and grammar behind.

The material:
- OG 12.Ed
- Kaplan GMAT 800
- MGMAT SC
- Jeff Sackmann Math bible

My exam is due tomorrow, and the previous two practice exams I took during last week indicate that I should go to work instead. I have just not been able to hit a 600 this time.

CR, DS, and silly arithmetic mistakes have gotten the best of me.

My question here is, can adcoms see how many times you have actually booked the GMAT but decided not to take it? Can canceling an appointment at the last minute affect my chances of reaching a descent MBA program.

I need I high GMAT score to compensate for my poor GPA. I studied in Europe where having a high or low GPA does not impact as much as it does in America. To the point where having a low GPA is a good ground for being dinged.

Work wise, I think I am rounded up according to what adcoms look for. I have the proven track record and relevant people that will endorse me. That being said, I am 31 and I think that might be a little too old for this kind of thing.

Any advice at this point is GREATLY appreciated!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 31

Re: Cancel an appointment or endure the shame? [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 04:42
MrAlvarson wrote:
Hi guys,

I am having a nervous break-down because of the following retake situation:

Before the summer time I took the GMAT with the aim of reaching 650-700. After a couple of MGMAT practice exams and the GMATPrep material, and a crappy situation with my girlfriend, I was ranging around:
- MGMAT#1 580
- MGMAT#2 620
- GMATPrep #1 590
- GMATPrep #2 580

I went to the exam in early May, clearly far from ready, and scored a sorry 560! Left really depressed and unmotivated.

I took a complete pause during the summer and then retook my conquest of the exam in the beginning of Sept. I wanted to give myself 3 weeks since a friend of mine, who is also an engineer with similar grades--GPA--from grad school, did roughly the same thing and nailed a 700+. I have studied quite a bit during Sept but without no explicit game plan, just doing problems and more problems and reviewing the math concepts and grammar behind.

The material:
- OG 12.Ed
- Kaplan GMAT 800
- MGMAT SC
- Jeff Sackmann Math bible

My exam is due tomorrow, and the previous two practice exams I took during last week indicate that I should go to work instead. I have just not been able to hit a 600 this time.

CR, DS, and silly arithmetic mistakes have gotten the best of me.

My question here is, can adcoms see how many times you have actually booked the GMAT but decided not to take it? Can canceling an appointment at the last minute affect my chances of reaching a descent MBA program.

I need I high GMAT score to compensate for my poor GPA. I studied in Europe where having a high or low GPA does not impact as much as it does in America. To the point where having a low GPA is a good ground for being dinged.

Work wise, I think I am rounded up according to what adcoms look for. I have the proven track record and relevant people that will endorse me. That being said, I am 31 and I think that might be a little too old for this kind of thing.

Any advice at this point is GREATLY appreciated!!

Canceled appointments cannot be seen on the GMAT report. Canceled scores can be seen.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas-Columbia, Wharton, UCLA, Kellog, Booth
WE 1: 10 yrs in Healthcare IT
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 20

Re: Cancel an appointment or endure the shame? [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 10:37
Yes. canceled appointments cannot be seen in your official report.But you have to pay another $250 reschedule. Have you analyzed your mistakes? What is your weakness? Quants or verbal? Did you spend time to improve on them since your first GMAT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 26

Re: Cancel an appointment or endure the shame? [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 11:02
Isn't only $50 for rescheduling?
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 31

Re: Cancel an appointment or endure the shame? [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 11:21
PadawanOfTheGMAT wrote:
Isn't only $50 for rescheduling?

If it's more that one week from the exam it's $50. Within one week of the exam it is $250
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Cancel an appointment or endure the shame? [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 11:25
Guys at GMAC know of to make money!
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 529

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Cancel an appointment or endure the shame? [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 11:28
MrAlvarson,

Dude, I think you are still nervous and think about your girl-friend, really forget about her if you want to see 7 in hudreds digit.
Read the thred how to navigate the site and go ahead.
You may take the test if you feel yourself confident.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
Followers: 347

Kudos [?]: 1414 [0], given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Cancel an appointment or endure the shame? [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 15:44
I think it's only $50 to reschedule, but given your time constraint I am not sure. Personally, if you have the means to afford it, I'd say postpone the exam until you're ready to take it, since a canceled score will appear on your GMAT report and it's not worth the hassle.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas, Anderson, IESE, INSEAD
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Cancel an appointment or endure the shame? [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 15:12
Hi guys,

I think the nerves got the best of me before the exam, and a clear don't-do for future examinees; walk in there with your chin up, and a go-get-them attitude. On Monday this week when I walked out of the testing center I could not help but smile and feel like all the work I put into the exam prep was not in vain, after I saw a 640 on the result card!

I am definitively going to retake the exam for the 3rd time, since I am still a good 50 points away from most of the schools I would like to apply for. Do you guys have any suggestions to tackle down CR as well as Math word problems. Silly as it sounds, I am having problems assimilating words into math formulas within the 2 mins. timeframe.

Thanks for the replies!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Cancel an appointment or endure the shame? [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 02:12
Good job! GMAT definitely tests ones mind and nerves, and that time you had the edge!

Get the PowerScore CR and for Math, you have no other solution than to train.
Re: Cancel an appointment or endure the shame?   [#permalink] 06 Oct 2010, 02:12