Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 03:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

cancer researcher, nanotechnologist, GMAT 690

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V31
GPA: 3.25
WE: Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
cancer researcher, nanotechnologist, GMAT 690 [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2013, 14:58
Hi.

I would like to have some input about my profile. I have a couple of concerns listed below. Is my target schools realistic? Is there something I can leverage? What areas can I improve on?

PERSONAL
Age 30
Male
Cambodian-American

EDUCATION/EXAMS
GMAT 690 (Q51,V31, AWA 5.5, IR 6).
GPA 3.25 at a top public IVY (i.e. Berkeley, Michigan, Virginia), BS Chemical biology
MS in Chemistry at a a top chemistry grad program.
Advanced Studies in Technology Transfer

WORK EXPERIENCE
- 5 years as a research scientist at NCI. I am a federal contractor who works for the NCI (if it makes a difference.).
- My laboratory does preclinical analysis of advanced cancer-fighting nanotechnologies. My laboratory works with academic laboratories, federal government laboratories, small biotechnology companies, and pharmaceutical companies. For that reason, my laboratory is unique.
- Attending scientific conferences to solicit new partnerships for my laboratory.
- won awards (one individual, two part of a team).
- some hands-on experience with business development
- mentored college students / high schools, helped them get into graduate school/undergraduate college

EXTRACURRICULAR
- consistent amount of extracurricular activities in college and during my career, but no strong leadership positions in those activities.

GOALS
Short-term goal: join a biotechnology startup or join a business development office of a biotechnology /pharmaceutical company that is looking to partner with startups.
Long-term goal: start a consulting firm advising scientist who want to start a company.

TARGET SCHOOL
Berkeley Haas, UCLA Anderson, USC Marshall, Georgetown McDonough, Maryland Smith.
I would like to either remain in Maryland, where I am working currently, or come back to California, where I am from. My interest is in a entrepreneur focused study.

Concerns:
- My last 2 years of my undergraduate GPA is lower than my first 2 years of my undergraduate GPA. I have no Ds or Fs.
- I have a quant-verbal split on my GMAT score. Recently, I have taken writing courses at a community college to improve my communication abilities. In addition I have 3 publications in scientific journals.
- I have no promotions at my current employment, but I had increasing responsibilities. The lack of promotions can be blamed on stagnant federal and NIH budget. Plus, I feel my company does have clear promotion structure. A PhD helps in regards to getting a better job position in my company.

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 0

Re: cancer researcher, nanotechnologist, GMAT 690 [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2013, 14:58
Expert's post
Hi there,

Thanks for your post and background info. Overall it looks like you are in good shape; the schools you've listed seem reasonable. Having a very scientific background as a researcher on one hand can be a plus because there are not as many applicants with the same profile; BUT on the flip side you'll want to makes sure that a) you make a compelling case for WHY you do need the MBA (which it sounds like you will be able to do), and b) that you are able to describe and demonstrate some leadership skills, teamwork, people management, communication skills etc... as all of those are also important in b-school and in the business world and are not always assumed among scientists/researchers. ;)

As for the GMAT split, I am not too terribly concerned, but certainly yes anything that strengthen and/or demonstrates communication skills is a plus. The GPA could be stronger but at this point you want to focus on what you can still change-- at this point those application essays are a blank canvas waiting for you to create something that shows who you are and what you'll bring to the school.

Keep us posted on how else we can help. If you'd like to speak in more depth with a consultant, we also offer free 30 min consults, at http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php, if interested, or feel free to post back here. Good luck!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php