Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

candid evaluation of young app profile, please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

candid evaluation of young app profile, please [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2006, 10:55
Hello, I hope it's okay to duplicate a post that I have already posted this on Paul's Accepted.com forum. I figure multiple perspectives on the same profile will only help the cause!

Does the rest of my story bolster a GMAT score that's at the lower end of the spectrum for target schools? Will only 3 years of FT work experience - not in top IBanking firm or McKinsey, Bain, etc - diminish my chances?

I believe that an MBA will accelarate my career growth in a traditional strategy consulting environment, and tie my mgmt/IT consulting experience and entrepreneurial bent with a long-term interest in effecting lasting economic and social changes in developing communities.

Short Term Goal: Strategy Consulting
Long Term Goal: Establishing a nonprofit that helps enterprising people in developing countries build businesses that create economic growth for themselves and their communities

Profile:
GMAT: 680 (V 43, Q 41, 5-AWA)
Undergrad GPA: 3.5 from Georgetown Business (Marketing & IB, minor in Spanish)
24, Female, American of Indian descent

Work Experience:
Just over 3 years at time of application. 1 yr doing Marketing/Sales for a Professional Services firm and 2+ yrs as Management & IT Consulting for BearingPoint. Primarily Bus Strategy/Analysis, Process Development, and Proj Mgmt roles for F500 clients w/in Communications space (Telecom, Media). 2 promotions in just over 2 years, largely due to balancing high-visibility client work with managing internal engagement financial activities. Received annual award given to 5% of firm for performance & impact on firm culture. Recommenders will vouch that I've risen to the top of my peer group, particular in terms of analytics, writing, teamwork, ability to lead small teams and work ethic.

Entrepreneurship:
-co-founded a company that provides Indian dance instruction and performance throughout the diverse metro DC community. expanded from 2 class centers in early 2005 to 6 by late 2006, growing enrollment and revenue four-fold. manage team of 4 part-time employees. featured in local & national media including Washington Post, Washingtonian Magazine, MTV Desi, and local Fox TV programming.

Community Service/Nonprofit:
- Pratham USA: an int'l non-profit dedicated to universal early-childhood education in India. Local fundraising events, volunteer coordination, board presentation for UN Foundation, & lobbying efforts. Designed model for a self-sustaining women's craft collective (training, production, marketing, and distribution) for mothers of children enrolled in Pratham programs.
- conducted group ESL classes to improve employability among immigrants to DC
- one-on-one tutoring for at-risk youth

Other/Leadership:
- choreographer/captain/principal of several dance companies, including Georgetown's first Hip Hop dance troupe, which went on to win national competitions and perform with popular recording artists - unique in an environment with little to no emphasis on the performance arts
- business editor of campus literary publication
- programming & events coordinator for South Asian Society in the year it went on to win award for top student organization on campus
- lead instructor for independent SAT prep company

Target Schools: Wharton, Columbia, Kellogg, Michigan

Thanks, looking forward to your response. Apologies for the long post!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2006, 09:10
Nice post. I like your lineup, but am surprised that you haven't considered Yale or Tuck vs. Columbia. I think you'll be competitive, but make sure to focus on your long-term goals and make sure that they are clearly defined enough that you can engage in intelligent conversation around them. I wouldn't spend to much time talking about your desire to move into consulting, given that you've been there and done that -- unless you can speak persuasively about the interesting impact you envision yourself havin in that space.

http://www.mbagameplan.com