Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 09:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Capuchin monkeys in Venezuela often rub a certain type of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

Capuchin monkeys in Venezuela often rub a certain type of [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 16:22
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

65% (02:15) correct 35% (01:40) wrong based on 42 sessions
Capuchin monkeys in Venezuela often rub a certain type of millepede into their fur. Secretions of these millipedes have been shown to contain two chemicals that are potent mosquito repellents, and mosquitoes carry parasites that debilitate the capuchins. The rubbing behavior is rare except during the rainy season, when mosquito populations are at their peak. Therefore monkeys probably rub millipedes into their fur only because doing so helps protect them against mosquitoes.
Which of the following would be most useful to determine in order to evaluate the argument.

A) Whether the two chemicals provide any protection for millipedes against their own repellents.
B) Whether the type of millipede used by the capuchin monkeys in Venezuela is found in other parts of the world.
C) Whether animals other than capuchins rub insects of any kind into their fur
D) Whether the only time millipedes are readily available to capuchins is during rainy season
E) Whether secretions of any other insects accessible to capuchins contain chemicals that repel the mosquitoes"
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Capuchin monkeys [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 16:39
i think it's d.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Capuchin monkeys [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 17:33
D is correct. But don't understand why. Can you please provide the analysis.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 256 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: CR - Capuchin monkeys [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 17:47
quiet888 wrote:
D is correct. But don't understand why. Can you please provide the analysis.

quiet888 wrote:
The rubbing behavior is rare except during the rainy season

quiet888 wrote:
only because doing so helps protect them against mosquitoes

Quiet888, the color is the clue you should pay attention to when evaluate the argument.

Chase of cause:

Mosquitoes...delibitated --> rub

To evaluate this argument, you should consider whether or not Mosquitos is the only cause make Capuchin rub his fur?

I hope you can understand D under this brieftly explaination!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Capuchin monkeys [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 06:37
I am thinking A - will talk more if correct.
3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 95 [3] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Capuchin monkeys [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 07:38
This post received
KUDOS
Premise:
Capuchin monkeys in Venezuela often rub a certain type of millepede into their fur. Secretions of these millipedes have been shown to contain two chemicals that are potent mosquito repellents, and mosquitoes carry parasites that debilitate the capuchins.

Premise:
The rubbing behavior is rare except during the rainy season, when mosquito populations are at their peak.

Conclusion:
Therefore monkeys probably rub millipedes into their fur only because doing so helps protect them against mosquitoes.

We are looking for information to help us evaluate the conclusion. So we need information that can help up determine WHY the monkey rub millipedes into their fur.

A. Whether the chemicals provide protection for the millipedes is irrelevant. We are only concerned with why the monkey rub the millipedes into their fur.

B. Again out of scope, we are only concerned with these monkeys in Venezuela.

C. Also out of scope, only concerened with monkeys

D. Correct. One of the premises is that the monkeys only rub them into their skin during the rainy season when the mosquito population is highest. They use this premise to arrive at the conclusion that this is only done to protect against mosquites. But adding this additional information that millipedes are only available during the rainy season cast doubt on this logic. It could now be that the only reason they rub them into their skin during the rainy season is because this is the only season they're available. It may just be a coincidence that the millipedes are availabe only during the rainy season when their needed and the monkeys might do the same if millipedes were available in non rainy season.

E. Out of scope, we are only concerned with monkeys and millipedes.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Capuchin monkeys [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 15:35
Wow - what an explanation gixxer - +1. Now I am convinced that its D.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Capuchin monkeys [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 16:48
Sorry, but according to my source, OA is E.

If capuchin monkey uses other insect to repel mosquito, it may rub the miliepede into its fur for other reason (for example, because doing so excites the monkey :-)

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: CR - Capuchin monkeys [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 00:46
E indeed
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology

Kudos [?]: 276 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: CR - Capuchin monkeys [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 06:50
Noboru, I think the answer is D. E seems to be making a lot of assumptions. Could you please let us know what is your source ?

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Capuchin monkeys [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 07:51
actually, reading it again, I dont see the point in E, and I support D.
Let me check my sources and will come back again.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology

Kudos [?]: 276 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: CR - Capuchin monkeys [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 16:55
Yup, please let us know that; I always felt E is a bit tangential. The variance test suggested by powerscore CR Bible brings out D as answer.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Capuchin monkeys [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2011, 06:00
I think the OA is D.. Though I got it wrong, but when i checked other threads they say it as D..
Check this link for the same..
http://gmatclub.com/forum/cr-capuchin-monkeys-30098.html

Cheers,
Varun

If you like my post, give me KUDOS!!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Capuchin monkeys [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2011, 10:43
i thought D too but after knowing the answer i agree with E...
the conclusion is that this stuff is used majorly in rainy season and its ONLY function is to repel mosquitos.

While we know that mosquitos population is at is peak in rainy season, but it is very much possible that the monkey can contact the desease from a mosquito in a non-rainy season.

As E suggests, what if the monkeys used other chemicals during the non-rainy months to protect itself from mosquitos and uses millepede in rainy season because it can do 2 things
1. repel mosquitos
2. protect the monkey from getting wet in the rain or from catching a cold

then the conculsion that the millepede is used ONLY as a mosquito repellent is incorrect!!

D is a close contender, but as suggested by E, if there were other chemicals that could repel mosquitos, although the millepede is available only during rainy season, the monkeys MAY use millepede or MAY use a different chemical they have been using all year long!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

Re: CR - Capuchin monkeys [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2011, 13:47
Capuchin monkeys in Venezuela often rub a certain type of millepede into their fur. Secretions of these millipedes have been shown to contain two chemicals that are potent mosquito repellents, and mosquitoes carry parasites that debilitate the capuchins. The rubbing behavior is rare except during the rainy season, when mosquito populations are at their peak. Therefore monkeys probably rub millipedes into their fur only because doing so helps protect them against mosquitoes.
Which of the following would be most useful to determine in order to evaluate the argument.

A) Whether the two chemicals provide any protection for millipedes against their own repellents.
The argument talks about monekys protection against mosquitoes not millipedes.
B) Whether the type of millipede used by the capuchin monkeys in Venezuela is found in other parts of the world.
irrelevant, as the argument is about monkeys in Venezuela
irrelevant to know about rubbing other insects other than the ones carrying potent mosquito repellents
D) Whether the only time millipedes are readily available to capuchins is during rainy season
It is stated in the argument
E) Whether secretions of any other insects accessible to capuchins contain chemicals that repel the mosquitoes"

Statement: Monkeys rub millipedes into their fur only because it protects them against mosquitoes or they are rubbing it for any other reason.
In order to evaluate the argument, we would need to determibe if monekys are rubbing milipedes only becuase the latter's chemicals are potent mosquito repellents. If yes, are there ary insects that secrete the same chemicals that repel mosquitoes. Knowing this will help evaluate the argument's validity.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.49
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: Capuchin monkeys in Venezuela often rub a certain type of [#permalink] New post 15 May 2013, 22:33
quiet888 wrote:

this again draws my interest in answering:

premise, C monkeys use millipeede's to rub their fur.

they may do so to protect themselves from mosquitoes, dat to durin raining season.

we find out from options :

A. OOS
B. OOS
C. Even if they rub, we dont have to do anything with it :)
D: hold it, not because i understand it but its due to i dint understand it.
E: out of box

so we are left with D.

analyse this, if millipedes are available in all seasons and if they use only in rainy season.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.74
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 19

Re: Capuchin monkeys in Venezuela often rub a certain type of [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 03:09
I think the key here is to focus on the logical structure of the argument (and this is true for almost ALL CR questions). Think of it as a puzzle/riddle that a friend is telling you. The writer of CR problems includes pieces of information (like in a puzzle) and we should ensure we understand the role of each piece of information. I've found it helpful to practice this exercise for CR questions (i.e. make sure you totally understand the argument). Note that you can practice this virtually with the argument without looking at answer choices (i.e. even on repeat questions) - it's good practice

The process I follow is (largely in line with Manhattan GMAT with some edits - I think pre-thinking (which e-gmat advocates) is a very useful step but MGMAT doesn't stress it too much - i.e. it's good to have not a must have)
1. ID what type of CR question this is
2. read each statement, paraphrase to myself / visualize the sentence. Do the same for sentence 2 and see link to statement 1. Repeat for following statements. THEN synthesize the argument so you have a grasp on the CONCLUSION (if relevant) and the premises (and how they relate to the conclusion)
3. Then attack the question stem - make sure you know exactly what you need to do
4. Prethink an answer - 5-10 seconds tops. If you can't think of an answer. Just say to yourself, "ok i'm looking for answers that does XX (be specific)"
5. Eliminate definite NOs (if you arent sure, let it sit); On the second round you should ideally have 2 choices remaining. Again, eliminate the MORE wrong answer until you are left with one. Pick it and move on!

This might seem like a lot of work but if you practice this process meticulously I'm sure your accuracy will go up and (in time) so will your speed.

For ex. this question
STEP 1 - Ok, so this is an evaluate question - there will be a conclusion here and I need to figure out what question I need to ask to evaluate this argument. (i.e. binary y/n answers will either weaken or strengthen the argument)

STEP 2
Logical Structure
1. Cap monkeys in Ven often rub milipedes into their fur. "hmm ok this is a fact/context. probably setting me up for the meat of the argument"
2. Secretions..debilitate the capuchins. "hmm interesting set of facts - the milis have 2 chemicals that repel mosquitoes and these mosquitoes have parasites that can cause serious harm. Ok i see that he's building a case to explain why monkeys are doing this"
3. The rubbing behavior is rare except during the rainy season, when mosquitoes are at their peak - "hmm, ok this is a peculiar observation and i kinda see what he's suggesting. he's trying to attribute this behavior during rainy season to something"
4. CONCLUSION - monkeys rub milis to protect themselves against milis -"aha i see what he's getting at - the behavior during monsoons is the nail in the coffin and that's why he's concluding this'
5. Synthesize - "ok concluding X because of Y and Z"

STEP 3
GOAL: what's most useful to evaluate the argument

STEP 4: PRETHINK
Hmm ok what questions would i ask the author - some thoughts that popped to me 1. ok, what if the rain makes the monkeys itchy and that's what makes them use milis to scratch? 2. what if there is anything else about the rain / the milis that make monkey use them to scratch? (i.e. it has nothing to do with mosquitoes)

STEP 5: Process of elimination

A. Ok we dont care about the milipedes here. We need to figure out why the monkeys are using them to rub
B. Irrelevant - so what if it's found in other parts of the world. We are focused on Venezuela
C. Again - we care about Venezuelan capuchins
D. HMM..ok this is a good one. If mosquitoes are only available during the rainy season then maybe it has nothing to do with the fact that rainy season has peak mosquito population. Monkeys just rub milis when they can find them and they only find them in the rainy season. This isnt a perfect question but let's keep it.
E. uh ok, we dont care about other insects. The author says monkeys use milis and he's making a conclusion as to why they use milis to rub themselves. I dont care if they CAN use other insects. Let's try variance here - YES other insects are available - ok, great but they could also use milis too. Right? NO other insects are not available - ok, great but then WHY are they using milis? (there could be a thousand other ways the monkeys can repel mosquitoes - the crux of the argument is discussing the validity of one possible cause - i.e. rubbing milis) - eliminate this

Therefore D. I took 1:45 seconds to answer this (even though the explanation makes it look like it took me 5 minutes).

This process works well for me. Let me know your thoughts.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 291

Re: Capuchin monkeys in Venezuela often rub a certain type of [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2013, 23:16
The OA is D. Period. Kindly double check the source before posting ambiguous OAs.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Capuchin monkeys in Venezuela often rub a certain type of [#permalink] New post 21 May 2014, 08:20
Hi,

I took this argument in a causative fashion, where conclusion says , Rubbing of Milipeds leads to Protection against Mosquitoes, So X leads to Y . Cant a alternate cause could be possible answer to this question,which is mention in option E.

Please correct me where I'm wrong?

Thanks
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1194

Kudos [?]: 3200 [0], given: 179

Re: Capuchin monkeys in Venezuela often rub a certain type of [#permalink] New post 22 May 2014, 21:14
Expert's post
Nitinaka19 wrote:
Hi,

I took this argument in a causative fashion, where conclusion says , Rubbing of Milipeds leads to Protection against Mosquitoes, So X leads to Y . Cant a alternate cause could be possible answer to this question,which is mention in option E.

Please correct me where I'm wrong?

Thanks

Hi Nitin,

If you thought that the argument here is "X leads to Y", then you shouldn't have marked an alternate cause as a weakener.

Please visit this article to understand where an alternate cause is a weakener and where it is not :)

alternate-cause-a-weakener-or-not-155034.html#p1240789

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Free Webinar: August 03, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Re: Capuchin monkeys in Venezuela often rub a certain type of   [#permalink] 22 May 2014, 21:14