Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 07:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Capuchin monkeys often rub their bodies with a certain type

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Capuchin monkeys often rub their bodies with a certain type [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2009, 11:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:16) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 6 sessions
Capuchin monkeys often rub their bodies with a certain type of millipede. Laboratory tests show that secretions from the bodies of these millipedes are rich in two chemicals that are potent mosquito repellents, and mosquitoes carry parasites that debilitate capuchins. Some scientists hypothesize that the monkeys rub their bodies with the millipedes because doing so helps protect them from mosquitoes.
Which of the following, if true, provides the most support for the scientists’ hypothesis?
A. A single millipede often gets passed around among several capuchins, all of whom rub their bodies with it.
B. The two chemicals that repel mosquitoes also repel several other varieties of insects.
C. The capuchins rarely rub their bodies with the millipedes except during the rainy season, when mosquito populations are at their peak.
D. Although the capuchins eat several species of insects, they do not eat the type of millipede they use to rub their bodies.
E. The two insect-repelling chemicals in the secretions of the millipedes are carcinogenic for humans but do not appear to be carcinogenic for capuchins.
Manager
Manager
Schools: NUS, NTU, SMU, AGSM, Melbourne School of Business
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Monkeys [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2009, 12:22
ramiy wrote:
Capuchin monkeys often rub their bodies with a certain type of millipede. Laboratory tests show that secretions from the bodies of these millipedes are rich in two chemicals that are potent mosquito repellents, and mosquitoes carry parasites that debilitate capuchins. Some scientists hypothesize that the monkeys rub their bodies with the millipedes because doing so helps protect them from mosquitoes.
Which of the following, if true, provides the most support for the scientists’ hypothesis?
A. A single millipede often gets passed around among several capuchins, all of whom rub their bodies with it.
B. The two chemicals that repel mosquitoes also repel several other varieties of insects.
C. The capuchins rarely rub their bodies with the millipedes except during the rainy season, when mosquito populations are at their peak.
D. Although the capuchins eat several species of insects, they do not eat the type of millipede they use to rub their bodies.
E. The two insect-repelling chemicals in the secretions of the millipedes are carcinogenic for humans but do not appear to be carcinogenic for capuchins.

I think the best answer is C. It supports the hypothesis more than any other choices. Am I right?

GMAT offended me. Now, its my turn!
Will do anything for Kudos! Please feel free to give one. :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Monkeys [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2009, 14:54
c no mosquito no rubing ....mosuito there is rubing
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: Monkeys [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2009, 02:09
Boils down to C and D.. will go with C

when mosquito populations are at their peak---> monkeys rub their bodies with the millipedes because doing so helps protect them from mosquitoes ,else they don't.

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: Monkeys [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2009, 03:21
C it is.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE: General Management (Retail)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 350 [0], given: 13

Re: Monkeys [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2009, 08:31
C for sure!

i love kudos :moped consider giving them if you like my post!!

:arrow: CRITICAL REASONING FOR BEGINNERS: notes & links to help you learn CR better. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/critical-reasoning-for-beginners-82111.html
:arrow: QUANT NOTES FOR PS & DS: notes to help you do better in Quant. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/quant-notes-for-ps-ds-82447.html
:arrow: GMAT Timing Planner: This little tool could help you plan timing strategy. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-cat-timing-planner-82513.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: Monkeys [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2009, 18:31
Question -

How would one negate D as an answer

Although the capuchins eat several species of insects, they do not eat the type of millipede they use to rub their bodies.

Is it ok to assume that the monkeys do not eat it due to other reasons ?

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Monkeys [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2009, 04:46
This post received
KUDOS
D seems to be ambiguous to an extent while C is clear.

Monkeys might not eat lots of other species that doesnt mean they rub all of them for protection right? So it can be for any other reason.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Monkeys [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2009, 08:24
1 more for C.

-STL
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Monkeys [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2009, 16:41

C makes the connection of mosquito and millipedes, supports that millipedes are used to repel mosquitos
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.65
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Re: Monkeys [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2009, 22:07
IMO C
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Monkeys [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 00:05
The conclusion is, Monkeys rub their bodies with millipedes to protect themselves from mosquitoes. This is strengthened by the option C, which says that monkeys rub their bodies with millipedes mostly in rainy season.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Monkeys [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2009, 14:14
C.

What is the OA?
Intern
Intern
Schools: NY Stern; Columbia; Cornell; Waterloo; U of T

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Re: Monkeys [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2009, 14:29
Hi Ramiy,

I also support 'C'. Could you please post the OA?

Thx in appreciation.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Monkeys [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 05:42
Forall those who agree C as the answer...i l say that the hypothesis of scientist is only supported for rainy season...wt abt other seasons..??its a bit confusing...
also for D i l say that monkeys do not eat mosquitoes becoz they know tht it will protect them...so IMO D...
any comments ..OA pls
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 10-22-2012

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Capuchin monkeys often rub their bodies with a certain type [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 23:06
I would go for C again since it supports the scientists hypotheses where he says that capuchin monkeys will rub themselves only to shoo off the mosquitoes.
OA Pls.
Re: Capuchin monkeys often rub their bodies with a certain type   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2014, 23:06