Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 20:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Career gap..

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Career gap.. [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2004, 07:15
Hi,

let me give you a brief profile..

Female 25yrs , married and Indian.

I have a lousy GMAT score of 640 and a good work experience of 3.5 years+ (brief stints in US and Hungary with Fortune 500 clients).

I was working with a leading Software Company in India. Graduated from a top school (not an IIT but an REC) in India with good grades.

A couple of good awards from my company excellent recos and pretty good community and non-profit experience.

I had applied to Temple Univ last year for full time and CMU part time. Got through in both of them (Temple even offered me a good scholl).. Didn't join Temple cause I decided later to go to only a top school..and cudn't join CMU cause of lack of finacial resources..

I plan to reapply to CMU this year as a full time student.. and I plan to reappear for GMAT as well.

The problem is that I have recently got married and I am currently in US without any work authorisation.

I am looking very hard to find a job .. but was wondering will my not beeing able to work currently hamper my prospects of getting through a good school? I plan to cover it up with some Volunteer and Community experience though but it may not make up for proffesional exp.

Apart from the fact that I am a female , I fall into the group of Indian IT Consultant with a low GMAT score:(

Any advice how to approach Michigan-Ann Arbor, Univ of Chicago and CMU for a full time MBA ?

Thanks...
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2004, 09:12
Expert's post
It's definitely a liability, but you may be able to overcome it. My two main pieces of advice to you are:

1) Make clear in your applications that you REALLY want to go to b-school, and convincingly explain why now is the right time for you to do it. I say this because you really need to be careful to make sure that it doesn't just look like you're applying to b-school because you can't find a job and have no other options. BTW, when trying to make your case, I'd be careful about bring up the fact that you got into Temple and then decided not to go. No school is crazy about applicants who appear to just be gunning for the highest-ranked school that they can get into.

2) Use this time to truly make a difference through community involvement, in a way that demonstrates your passion about something (what that "something" is depends on you). Don't think of it as "covering up" your lack of work experience. You're facing a steep obstacle -- you can't get a job right now -- but use it as an opportunity to get involved. Don't just volunteer at the YMCA two days a week or something like that to keep busy. Make a real difference somewhere. Hopefully, you're doing it because it's important to you, not because you're trying to cover up a lack of a job. Adcomms can usually tell the difference.

Good luck,
Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2004, 12:50
Hi,

If I understand correctly, you were working for a few years but you are currently not allowed to work in the US. While this is not the strongest position to apply from, admissions officers have certainly encountered students in similar circumstances in the past. Students have employment gaps for a number of reasons including restructuring, corporate/ start up failure, and family commitments.

I agree that it is important to show how you are using your time productively. However, misguided attempts to "cover up" the fact that you cannot work seem unnecessary and doomed to fail.

Hjort
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2004, 13:04
Thanks for such quick responses!

Yes, I had been working full time till April this year and relocated to US in May end. So its not been a long time since I quit working.

I am looking for a job and if all goes well I would start with a job in Oct. but considering the job scenario and my lack of sufficient US experience I forsee some difficulties in managing to procure one .. before the H1's run out for this year.

I intend to start a new chapter of a well established non-profit here so I guess it shud stand me in good stead and also I plan to improve my tech skills by writting some certifications which might help me later in my post MBA job search as well..

so maybe I just might could offset the drawbacks in my applications..