Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 18:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Career Goal and Admission Advice.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Career Goal and Admission Advice. [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 11:50
Hi Stacy,

I gave my GMAT recently and scored 690 (48 Q and 37 V). I need some advice about the direction I need to take from here on. I am confused with this score.

Quick brief -

I am an IT consultant from India ( I know:(). I had 3.6 GPA in undergrad and did my MS from Wayne State University with GPA of 3.3.

I have been working for over 5 years now and I enjoy my job. I like to lead from the front and I am ready to solve any problem thrown at me. I have strong recos from my current and previous bosses who themselves went to MIT and Univ of Wisconsin @ Madison respectively, if that helps at all.

But in last 3-4 years I have developed a new passion and I want to make it my profession. I have almost been working 14-16 hours a day (actual job and parallely pursuing my passion) since last few years. I am very passionate about investment management/equity research.

I want to make a career switch to investment/asset management. For this reason going to university below top 15 is not an option for me. I read books after books on investments and I enjoy going through company reports. I have my own little software to calculate the fair value of a company and I worked on programs to generate buy and sell signals based on some 70 odd technical and fundamental rules . Last year I came across some IB interview questions from UT Austin and was able to answer more than 60% of questions by the bank. I have never ever felt such clarity of goal and direction in life as in last few years. I have started envisioning myself as a portfolio manager in 10 years time.

I single handedly launched a website for mutual funds that is and will be shortly doing so for stocks. This is non profit website for people who cant afford professional service.
http://www.mutualfundsforfuture.com/

I have been maintaining few portfolios since three years. In fact I plan on opening a company down the line that will provide a similar service but will be far more detailed.
http://socialize.morningstar.com/NewSocialize/PortfolioSharing/SharedPortfolioSnapshot.aspx?q=BC40CC613C939B0C

Sometimes I feel that I am born to this.

On personal front I enjoying running marathons (I have couple of half marathons under my belt and am planning on a full next year) and I play a bit of guitar.

But the bottom line - Is 690 enough for career switch? Should I take my GMAT again?

I really need you advice.

Thanks
Sumeet

Thanks
Sumeet
www.midasreturns.wordpress.com

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Career Goal and Admission Advice. [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 15:57
Expert's post
Hi Sumeet,

If you feel you can improve your GMAT score by 30+ points, I recommend you take the GMAT again. Your GMAT score is self-reported on your application, so admissions teams will only focus on your highest score. There isn't a downside to taking the test again, other than the time and money spent. Particularly if you aiming for top economic/finance programs such as Chicago Booth, etc., many of these schools have average GMAT scores of 720+.

I also recommend you read this case study of an Indian applicant who was accepted into Columbia, Tuck, and MIT:

http://www.stacyblackman.com/comprehens ... ies/case2/

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Career Goal and Admission Advice. [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2011, 00:11
Thanks for reply. I definitiely plan on a GMAT retake.

But I have one last question - What are the chances or getting in schools such as Duke, Carnegie and UT AUstin with this profile and score?

Apart from this mutual fund website I mentioned above, I am also going to open stock based investing site soon. The ultimate goal is to make them a full fledged equity portfolio management service. But honestly will this initaitive make any impact on my application? I am asking this questuion because I am at crossroads -I dont know if I should restart my GMAT prep or work on the website/company?

Once again I appreciate your reply.

Thanks
Sumeet

Thanks
Sumeet
www.midasreturns.wordpress.com

Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Career Goal and Admission Advice. [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2011, 20:16
Expert's post
Hi vatsas,

Unfortunately I cannot predict two large factors, your personal essays and your recommendations, so it is difficult to discern your chances of acceptance. From the information I have about you, your GMAT score is ~20 points below the average GMAT scores of the schools you are looking at. Top MBA programs do like to see candidates have a score of at least a 700.

Best,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap