Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 05:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Career in Tech Post MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Best schools for Tech recruitment

• 8% [6]
  • 2% [2]
  • 1% [1]
  • 26% [18]
  • 5% [4]
  • 1% [1]
  • 4% [3]
  • 17% [12]
  • 23% [16]
  • 0% [0]
  • 5% [4]
  • 1% [1]
TAGS:
CBS Thread Master
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 9

Premium Member
Career in Tech Post MBA [#permalink] New post 17 May 2013, 00:32
After long months of serious personal reflection regarding the future of my career I have decided that I want to make a career switch to tech management.

I have been searching the site in and out and can't seem to find any up to date posts about post MBA's careers in Tech.
So I am starting a post where I hope to post (and have others post) relevant and up to date information regarding post MBA careers in Tech firms/odds/chances/best schools/ and and grasping reality.

The catch is I have no work experience in a tech firm (and am not an engineer). I currently work for a corporate valuations firm where I have done a few projects for companies in the IT industry. Still, it seems that I fit into the GMAT Club Legend kryzak 4th category - Having no tech background and no work experience in tech of which kryzak writes: "By far the toughest route" (technology-careers-for-mbas-93266.html#p764663).
'
First line of business: Which schools are the best schools for people in my predicament?
The problem: It seems hard to tell which schools are actually good at getting their non engineer alumni recruited to tech firms.
For example: One would think that MIT Sloan would be a great place for some one looking to get into a tech company. Is this really true?
It seems that only 20% of the class of 2011 when in to tech and about 17% of the class of 2012. Not large numbers at all.
A further glance into Sloan's 2012 employment report tells that about 40% percent of the class came in with backgrounds in engineering.

So I ask, can going to Sloan or any other schools help someone with no tech exp. get into a tech firm if you are not an engineer?
Should I base my school decision on Employment statistics or word of mouth and reputation?
Attachments

File comment: The MIT employment report
2012 Sloan Employ report.pdf [156.51 KiB]
Downloaded 29 times

To download please login or register as a user

Try to make my way to San Jose.

??? class of 2016

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CBS Thread Master

Premium Member
Career in Tech Post MBA 1 [#permalink] New post 17 May 2013, 03:48
It seems I am not the only one looking in to a tech job. :-D

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... t-improves

??? class of 2016

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 627

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Career in Tech Post MBA 1 [#permalink] New post 17 May 2013, 04:31
Based on employment reports, I'd say the top three are Stanford, MIT, and Haas (not sure how this didn't make the list). I'd also look at Ross, Anderson, and Tepper as schools that place well in tech, but are ranked a little lower.

To your other point, from my conversations with students at Sloan/Haas, it's definitely possible to switch into tech without a tech/engineering background. That said, you need to get in first :)! If you're a fourth-quadrant applicant, make sure you get some help to realistically evaluate where you stand before you drop hundreds or thousands of dollars applying to schools.

Edit: I added Haas/Ross/Tepper to the poll and changed it to allow up to four responses. Otherwise, every single person would have voted for Stanford (and how much would that have really helped you?).
CBS Thread Master

Premium Member
Re: Career in Tech Post MBA [#permalink] New post 17 May 2013, 05:00
Thanks Kingfalcon so much for changing the polling system. The logic is much appreciated.

Regarding the application. I won't be applying until this coming fall I just want to get a head start (since app deadlines are already coming out).
I just want to narrow the list of schools I apply too and a realistic understanding of the possibilities is important.

What do you mean by fourth-quadrant applicant? does this have to do with lacking experience in said industry? I would be going as a career switcher which I understand is hard but not impossible.

Besides that it time to get cracking on the schools you mentioned. I hope to keep posting stats.

??? class of 2016

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 627

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Career in Tech Post MBA [#permalink] New post 17 May 2013, 06:50
TechWithNoExp wrote:
Thanks Kingfalcon so much for changing the polling system. The logic is much appreciated.

Regarding the application. I won't be applying until this coming fall I just want to get a head start (since app deadlines are already coming out).
I just want to narrow the list of schools I apply too and a realistic understanding of the possibilities is important.

What do you mean by fourth-quadrant applicant? does this have to do with lacking experience in said industry? I would be going as a career switcher which I understand is hard but not impossible.

Besides that it time to get cracking on the schools you mentioned. I hope to keep posting stats.

Whoops. Reading comprehension fail on my part! I misread and misinterpreted what you said. I blame not having had my coffee yet!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48
GPA: 3.16
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 6

Re: Career in Tech Post MBA [#permalink] New post 18 May 2013, 01:29
TechWithNoExp wrote:
For example: One would think that MIT Sloan would be a great place for some one looking to get into a tech company. Is this really true?
It seems that only 20% of the class of 2011 when in to tech and about 17% of the class of 2012. Not large numbers at all.
A further glance into Sloan's 2012 employment report tells that about 40% percent of the class came in with backgrounds in engineering.

If you take a closer look at Sloan's 2012 employment report, they have an additional 34% of the class go into the "energy" sector. I don't know how they define "energy", but I'm sure it includes tech-related positions since every other school I've looked at, including Stanford and Haas, report less than 10% going into energy. Once you add everything up, Sloan probably comes out on top in terms of class percentage going into tech. It doesn't really answer your question about whether Sloan would be best to switch careers, but it might help. FYI, I'm looking to switch into tech too, and Sloan's high on my list.

I compiled some stats a few weeks back on employment stats across several schools, I've attached the comparison.
Attachments

dukealum7's comparison.xlsx [12.8 KiB]
Downloaded 29 times

To download please login or register as a user

CBS Thread Master

Premium Member
Re: Career in Tech Post MBA [#permalink] New post 18 May 2013, 10:42
thanks dukealum7 the file looks very informative.

I get what you are saying about "energy" being a possible "tech".
Its really is hard to tell the details behind the reports.

??? class of 2016

Re: Career in Tech Post MBA   [#permalink] 18 May 2013, 10:42