Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 20:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Career & Industry change -- 2-year program required?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: McGill Desautels Class of 2013
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Career & Industry change -- 2-year program required? [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 19:18
I was speaking to a friend of mine about my MBA application process and he indicated that he was also considering making the same move and was wondering what type of program would be best suited to him since he'd be looking to switch careers from advertising (account manager) to management consulting. Since my personal evaluation prior to applications didn't involve such drastic changes, I didn't factor that into my school selection and was wondering if you guys could help me provide him with some sage advice.

He's currently got two years work experience with a marketing firm where he's the account manager for several clients (as far as I understand his work anyhow) and would like to change career paths/industries. He's a very smart guy with a strong GMAT (780) and a strong GPA (don't know exact numbers) so the number side of things shouldn't be a problem, but he's worried his limited work experience (just under 3 years by matriculation) and his desire to drastically change his career may hold him back. To be honest he's not even sure how one goes about making such a significant change.

Basically he's wondering if a 2-year program is a necessity. Would he be able to facilitate that career change in an intensive 1-year program like INSEAD's or would he need to take the more traditional 2-year route. He's most interested in remaining here in Canada where two of our top programs are intensive 1-year programs while two others are of more traditional length. But, he's also not ruling out the possibility of study in Europe or the US.

Anyway, I plan on directing him here the next time we speak but figure I'd open the floor to you folks first for some advice. Thanks in advance.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 years - Telecom
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 11

Re: Career & Industry change -- 2-year program required? [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 20:57
This post received
KUDOS
I think the reason why people always suggest 2-year program is because there's an internship in the middle. If this is the case, then INSEAD's January intake with a chance for a summer internship would work as well.

If you won't invest in yourself, why would anybody wants to invest in you?

Manager
Manager

Re: Career & Industry change -- 2-year program required? [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2010, 04:07
Yeah that makes a lot of sense that the internship would be the main draw for career/industry switchers. But even with an internship (especially in the middle) does that give enough time to successfully position oneself for a career change through networking/classwork etc.?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Career & Industry change -- 2-year program required? [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2010, 06:57
There is a chance of landing in one.
but MC is very difficult to land. If he want MC in corporate finance, his chances would be more if he completes CFA-1.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Career & Industry change -- 2-year program required? [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2010, 07:02
and if he want to go IB then internship and CFA-1 would be more better and could land u in 1.
Manager
Manager

Re: Career & Industry change -- 2-year program required? [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2010, 19:31
Thanks for the responses, anyone else have any insight?
Re: Career & Industry change -- 2-year program required?   [#permalink] 23 Dec 2010, 19:31