Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 01:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Career & MBA Admission Advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Career & MBA Admission Advice [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 22:41
Hi;

I have recently completed my undergraduate degree and was hoping to get some pointers on how to get into a top business school;

Completed B. Eng (Civil) & B Comm (Finance) in June 2013 from one of the top Australian universities, 2nd Class Honors, mediocre marks (GPA 2.8)

Ideally I would like to work for a top consulting firm, however after not getting an interview for MC grad roles beginning 2014 I've started working professionally as an engineer.

I was planning on reapplying for consulting roles over the next few years however if am continuously unsuccessful, I was planning on applying for the business schools after several years engineering experience and using an MBA as a gateway to MC.

If I'm unable to break into MC with my current qualifications, how am I situated to get into a decent business school with several years of engineering experience, the marks that I have, and a hopefully decent GMAT score? Would it be worthwhile studying a Master's while working full time as an engineer, attempting to move to a strategy role in another company, or even heading back to university full time to rectify my sub-par grades? Will I have difficulty transferring into MC from engineering/is it a legitimate concern to get 'stuck' in the field if I work in it for several years?

Any advice is very much appreciated.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: Career & MBA Admission Advice [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 13:41
Expert's post
Hey there!
So thanks for dropping by dude. You ask some tough questions - not only because they are tough, but because they are so long-term. which is of course great, because by thinking about them now you can best prepare the future.

So first things first... keep on trying to get into MC if that is truly what you want. But be careful too. You don't want to get into a situation where you become obsessed with MC to the point that you become disappointed/ frustrated with what you are actually doing. Whatever it is you do do, you want to make sure that you are doing the BEST you possibly can. Ultimately people go to Bschool from ALL fields, but high performance and quick promotions at your job are maybe the most important things in your profile.

Second is the GMAT. MC firms will also look at your GMAT. So if it's under 700, you will have a very hard time getting in the big firms, and it will be equally hard to get into top Bschools. But make sure you take the GMAT with plenty of leeway (a year and a half before applying is nice) so that if things don't go well, you can retake.

Next - make sure you have at least one good solid serious community service post. Leadership is a bonus.

With this three things (plus hopefully some extras) top schools from which MC firms recruit will be open to you. The Top 10 will likely be out of range due to your UG grades (of course you can rectify this by doing totally amazing at work). As for getting an MS - only if you need/want the MS. It won't cover up your UG grades at any rate, so if you want the knowledge go for it... otherwise you should think about seeking another path.

Hopefully this will get you started.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!