Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 01:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Career path prior to an MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Career path prior to an MBA [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2013, 08:39
Hi there,

I am stuck at the cross roads after a first promotion at a consumer goods company working in the operations department.

I believe have two likely options that I can take. The first is to continue in my logistics role and move onto a supervisor/managerial position.
Another is to work within the operations department but in a more technical role such as manufacturing program manager (NPI).

While one would have direct reports, the other would not yet it does have leadership requirements since you will be working with many different groups and directing a program. What would be the best path to take if I am looking to do an MBA in the future. In all honesty, I would like to do a career change after the MBA such as management consulting rather than what I am currently doing and was wondering if there was a "better" path of the two for 1) getting into a good B school and 2) getting into management consulting.

Thanks!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Career path prior to an MBA [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2013, 10:06
yialanliu,
It sounds like either option will be a clear step forward for you in responsibility and leadership. My instinct would be to choose the supervisory position since it gives you direct reports (B schools love leadership) and it continues your current career path. A switch into the more technical NPI role would require more explaining. Likewise, you could argue that the supervisory role in logistics would prepare you better for the interpersonal challenges of consulting more than would a non-supervisory role in a highly technical NPI role. But neither option would really impede your ability to get into business school or management consulting.

Hope this helps,
--Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, www.paulsbodine.com/testimonials

yialanliu wrote:
Hi there,

I am stuck at the cross roads after a first promotion at a consumer goods company working in the operations department.

I believe have two likely options that I can take. The first is to continue in my logistics role and move onto a supervisor/managerial position.
Another is to work within the operations department but in a more technical role such as manufacturing program manager (NPI).

While one would have direct reports, the other would not yet it does have leadership requirements since you will be working with many different groups and directing a program. What would be the best path to take if I am looking to do an MBA in the future. In all honesty, I would like to do a career change after the MBA such as management consulting rather than what I am currently doing and was wondering if there was a "better" path of the two for 1) getting into a good B school and 2) getting into management consulting.

Thanks!

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 1

Re: Career path prior to an MBA [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2013, 05:38
Expert's post
Hi there,

I would agree with Paul. Not to rehash what he said but to expand upon it - taking a more technical role may be seen as you specializing and then any story you put forward regarding a career change will have that hurdle. Therefore, if you continue in your current trajectory but take on additional responsibility, that is easier to explain. So while it was mentioned both may be good options, I would not view the NPI position as a good idea personally. I would go for the supervisor position.

Congratulations on the promotion(s)!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Career path prior to an MBA [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2013, 06:52
The having direct reports is a clear indicator of progression. While the operations job could be seen as working with many groups, you will probably still work with other groups in the first job so the delineation is not as clear. Also, gaining greater technical expertise would not make you more attractive to the MBA admissions committees or in your future management consulting role.

Good luck,

Michael Cohan
President
MBAPrepAdvantage
305-604-8178
http://www.mbaprepadvantage.com
http://www.mbaprepadvantage.com/blog
Give KUDOS! if a post helps you
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on GMAT Club & https://twitter.com/mbaprepadv and Michael Cohan on https://plus.google.com/u/0/112394163312774253233
Like MBAPrepAdvantage on https://www.facebook.com/MBAPrepAdvantage

MBAPrepAdvantage offers a free initial assessment to gauge your MBA admissions chances and the strength of your candidacy. Email us a brief description of your goals along with your target schools, resume, GPA, and GMAT score at info@mbaprepadvantage.com.

Re: Career path prior to an MBA   [#permalink] 27 Jun 2013, 06:52