Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Oct 2014, 15:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Career prospects after Ph.D in Corporate Finance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Career prospects after Ph.D in Corporate Finance [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 13:36
Hello All,

Iam new to this group and must say this forum is very informative. Currently I am doing a MBA ( not from a very high profile school). However I have no much choice since I work full time and this school is close to my work place. However I have developed interest in Corporate Finance and was contemplating if to pursue a Ph.D in corporate finance.In that case I will have to quit my job and go to school full time. I have no problems with 4 years of school and hard work if I can see silver lining behind the dark clouds. My goal is to be a top Financial analyst/executive. I dont think my current MBA can help me get there. Please advise if a Ph .D in corporate finance can be a well paying ,high profile job in the industry.

Thanks for your time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 15:49
I'm not familiar with the field of finance, but from what I have heard, a PhD in finance is well-sought by the industry. And the industry pays well too - especially if you are from a top school.

However:
1. You will never get into a top program if your objective is to work in the industry.

See MIT's FAQ (which is a good represention for the rest of the top schools)
Q: Should I plan to do a doctorate if I want to work in industry when I graduate?
A: Our program prepares people for careers in research and teaching.

2. Taking a 4 to 5 years phd program has high opportunity costs if your intention is to go into the industry. I think there should be good Master programs to help you achieve your career goal. You might find more help at http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=86.

Cheers,

http://phdmilestone.blogspot.com/

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2006, 08:32
tkkoh wrote:
I'm not familiar with the field of finance, but from what I have heard, a PhD in finance is well-sought by the industry. And the industry pays well too - especially if you are from a top school.

However:
1. You will never get into a top program if your objective is to work in the industry.

See MIT's FAQ (which is a good represention for the rest of the top schools)
Q: Should I plan to do a doctorate if I want to work in industry when I graduate?
A: Our program prepares people for careers in research and teaching.

2. Taking a 4 to 5 years phd program has high opportunity costs if your intention is to go into the industry. I think there should be good Master programs to help you achieve your career goal. You might find more help at http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=86.

Cheers,

Thanks for your reply.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2006, 06:03
I must say that I know of people who joined top IB post PhD. Usually, those people join within a very quant group though (derivatives structurer, algorithmic trading programmer). Overall, I tend to agree that top PhD programs do not favor candidates planning to get into the industry. However, there are other degrees which can help you break in. For instance, you should consider the Masters in Finance from LBS. Many candidates within the program do previously have an MBA and it does help leverage your chances of getting in the industry.

Best Regards,

Paul

[#permalink] 11 Nov 2006, 06:03