Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 08:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Career Switcher - Profile Evaluation Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia Business School '13
WE 1: Investment Banking
WE 2: Higher Education
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 7

Career Switcher - Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 12 May 2010, 07:14
I am currently working as an admissions counselor at a top-75 undergraduate institution in the Southeast. Previously, I worked for a regional boutique investment bank and would like to go to b-school as a means to get back into i-banking or private equity, preferably in New York. My vitals are listed below - what do you think my chances of getting into some of the elites may be? I am targeting HBS, Wharton, Booth, Columbia, NYU and Sloan. For safety, I am considering Kenan-Flagler and Darden. Am I too optimistic?

- 26 year old male
- 720 GMAT (Q44; V45)
- 3.6 GPA at top-75 undergrad institution. Graduated Magna Cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa
- Was captain of nationally ranked D-III basketball team, President of Fellowship of Christian Athletes, President of Student-Athlete Advisory Council, President of Omicron Delta Kappa (national honorary leadership fraternity) and was also a member of the Student Honor Court.
- Worked for three years as an analyst at a boutique investment bank that did M&A, capital raises, fairness opinions and strategic advisory assignments.
- Currently working as an admissions counselor for my alma mater.
- Besides the traditional admissions role, I have also taken on a consulting role. I have worked with various departments to build the college's budget and have presented a handful of financial recommendations to the Board of Trustees.
- On a personal note, I am an avid rec league basketball player, a fan of pageants and was a judge at a state-level Miss America pageant last year and I enjoy mentoring students on campus who are trying to get into investment banking or are preparing for the GMAT.

Thanks for your insight!

My GMAT Debrief: my-gmat-experience-540-to-92850.html
Every man I meet is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him. - Emerson

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

Re: Career Switcher - Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 14:50
Expert's post
Hello,

I do think your list is a slight stretch, but not terribly so. I would probably apply to 3-4 of the reach schools on your list, and then apply to 1-2 more in the Kenan-Flagler range (in terms of rankings).

One question that comes to mind is why you left banking to go into admissions (and, on a related note, why you now want to try to get back into banking). That's a pretty big change.

In terms of strengths, even though it's a little far back in the past now, serving as the captain of your basketball team is terrific -- definitely shows leadership and dedication. In terms of current extracurriculars and community involvement, you're a little light. The pageant thing isn't that great in admissions officers' eyes unless you can point to specific ways in which you have positively impacted the pageant organization.

Good luck!
Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Re: Career Switcher - Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 04:41
Thanks for your read on my qualifications, Scott. I am curious about one more thing - how are admissions counselors viewing the junior investment bankers who were either victims of the credit crunch, or decided to leave the industry before they were forced out? I was one of the latter. I had solid performance reviews, got raises every year, and I even had my managing directors ask me to stay on for a third year, which is something that my firm had never done before. Towards the end of that year, our deal pipeline had slowed significantly and I figured if the company were to make cuts, my position would probably be on the chopping block first. With that in mind, I left the industry and entered higher ed. Since I left the banking industry voluntarily before, have I lost all credibility for re-entering banking?

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

Re: Career Switcher - Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 15:16
Expert's post
No, you definitely won't have lost credibility. Even if you had been laid off (which no one wants to have happen to them), admissions officers understand that the last two years have been a "100-year flood" kind of event that has left many very good young professionals jobless. Don't worry about this too much.

In fact, this is such an old story by now that admissions officers completely understand it, but are also (in some cases) getting a little tired of reading about it. So, focus on the future, and don't dwell on the past!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Re: Career Switcher - Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 23 May 2010, 18:03
Thanks for the insight and the encouragement - it's good to hear that my story can hold water.

Posted from my mobile device Image