Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Career Switchers - Is Part-Time MBA good enough? [#permalink]
I am living in the Bay area so I'm considering applying for Haas. I was in their information session last week and it sounds like they do give great career services to PT as well. But it seems everybody from top MC firm is from FT program so I am really hesitating.

Has anybody heard/knew someone in top MC firm is actually from a PT program?

Thanks for everyone's reply! really helpful!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
hi everyone,
i have a similar situation. i am currently working at the WSS division in a big bank. but i would like to join the asset management field after my MBA. should i go for PT MBA or FT MBA? any advice will be appreciated!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: General
Schools:Florida Gulf Coast University, Florida Atlantic University
GPA: 3.12
WE 1: Escrow accountant - title insurance industry
WE 2: Accounting assistant - CPA sole proprietorship
WE 3: Management technician - higher education
Send PM
I think that the new economy as well as the changing trends of professional working life are starting to shake up the old rules in regards to full-time vs. part-time MBAs.

In regards to the new economy, the opportunity cost of pursuing an MBA has risen. Many people do not have the resources to pursue an MBA on a full-time basis (especially if their spouses are struggling or wish to hold on to their positions). Because of this, you have some really stellar MBA students who find themselves in part-time programs. If employers do not see this now, then they would be smart to do so within the next 5 years. Life happens...even to brilliant, career-driven individuals. Resumes are becoming more and more diverse. A part-time MBA is just one of those features....which will be popping up a lot more frequently and prominently in the resumes of excellent job candidates.

In regards to changing work trends, the average working professional will change jobs, even careers, several times. This will happen with or without and MBA (full-time or part-time). If you are younger (under age 30)...the part-time MBA will even be more irrelevant in regards to your ability to switch careers.

How the part-time and full-time MBA programs differ the most are in the learning environment and networking opportunities allotted. Understand however, that even this exists on a spectrum. For example, a part-time MBA at NYU-Stern may have access to a greater network and career resources than a full-time MBA at Shippensburg University (in PA). Going off of the little information you provided, I would be surprised if at your career level and position, that you had absolutely no contacts already that could help you break into Management Consulting. You may find that by 'working' your current network and expanding it a bit, you could already have a big leg up on many other B-School students. And you would not have to forgo a very decent salary. I would go for the part-time option. Unless you really wanted to dive into the 'B-School experience' and take your chances with getting picked up by a Fortune 500 company....if that is the case, I would go with full-time.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Consulting, Strategy
Schools:Booth
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Kudos
From my understanding, you pretty much have NO shot at something like M/B/B coming out of even the top schools like Chicago, NYU, Kellogg.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi
I am an Eng looking for career change . FT is not an option . Does anyone know any good schools for PT MBA for career switchers on the east coast .
thx
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Stern has one of the best PTMBA programs on the east coast, if your close to NY that may be one you can consider
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GMAT 3: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.72
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
jb88 wrote:
From my understanding, you pretty much have NO shot at something like M/B/B coming out of even the top schools like Chicago, NYU, Kellogg.

Not true. Kellogg PT student here, had a few friends that went into the top 3 in the past year or so. It's also easier to switch than most people on here seem to think. Kellogg also offers access to all of the same recruiting opportunities.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
bjb5228 wrote:
jb88 wrote:

Not true. Kellogg PT student here, had a few friends that went into the top 3 in the past year or so. It's also easier to switch than most people on here seem to think. Kellogg also offers access to all of the same recruiting opportunities.

Thanks for this. I am one of those career switchers. How many in the part time program at Kellogg have successfully switched to MBB?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
fleo wrote:
I am currently working for a market research firm, 4 years of experience as a Senior Project Manager. I would like to switch to Managment Consulting firms post MBA. Not sure whether a part-time MBA is good enough or I really need to go for a FT? Currently making 95K plus bonus, so it'll be a kill for me to quit.

Any advice would be appreicated!

Part-time MBA is most useful to grow in the current career & grab more opportunities. For career switchers, it is worth if they have a network to get into the career. Because MBA is all about the professional networking, one who has relevant work experience can get placed easily with the help of the professional network. Internship other part adds value to the CV. You might not get internship opportunities with part-time MBA, so check all the possibilities before enrolling it. Be sure to research what career services are available and be realistic in your expectations. Since you will not be able to do an internship or have that clean break on your resume, nor the time to devote to a job search while in school and working full-time, you might have to wait and start your job search once your degree is finished
GMAT Club Bot