Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:06 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 578 [12]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4614 [2]
Given Kudos: 99
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 578 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Career switchers often schedule interviews with high-level [#permalink]
Kudos
Source is manhattan review, sentence correction guide. There is no official answer for this question.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 406 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 2: 760  Q50  V42
Send PM
Between A & B, I would prefer B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
source is Manhattan review I believe
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3944 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
B too.

It seems a misplaced modifier.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 607 [1]
Given Kudos: 141
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
Send PM
Kudos
Aleehsgonji wrote:
Career switchers often schedule interviews with high-level managers, believing that the insight of professionals will help narrow down the many choices of careers available to graduating MBAs.
a) Same as above
B) Career Switchers, beliveing that the insight of professionals will help narrow down the many choices of careers avialable to graduating MBAs, often schedule interviews with high level managers
c) career switchers believind that scheduling interviews with the insight of high level prossional managers will help narrow down the many choices of careers availbale to graduating MBAS.
d)career switchers, believing that interviews with high level managers whose insight will help narrow down the many choices of careers available to hraduating MBAs, often schedule them
e) Career switchers often schedule intervies to narrow down the many choices of careers availableto graducating MBAs, believing that the insight of professionals with high level managers will help them

This is from Manhattan Review and the OA is B.

I believe both A and B are correct. And there is no reason to choose B over A! As far as the GMAT is concerned no two options can be correct. So, Those who have not chosen A- Please share your reasoning.

Below is why i feel A is correct:

Career switchers often schedule interviews with high-level managers, believing that the insight of professionals will help narrow down the many choices of careers available to graduating MBAs.

The only difference between A and B is the placement of modifier 'believing ...'. I'm convinced that this placement in A is as good as the one in B.

A verb-ing modifier when placed after a comma, modifies the subject of the preceding clause. Hence, in the case of 'A', 'believing' clearly modifies Career switchers and not managers.

If above is correct, what is wrong with A? If not, please correct me...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
Kudos
believing is ver-ing modifier ,which modifies the preceding clause and not the noun when placed after comma.
b-incorrect modifies noun
a -correct modifies clause
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Verb-ing Modifiers; Career switchers often schedule interviews.... [#permalink]
Hi, Calling the E-gmat experts to help me out with this one. :)

This is an example from Manhattan Review SC Guide pg65 (Test Prep & Admissions Consulting-Joern Meissner 4th edition 2012) for which there is no OA.

Career switchers often schedule interviews with high-level managers, believing that the insight of professionals will help narrow down the many choices of careers available to
graduating MBAs.
(A) Career switchers often schedule interviews with high-level managers, believing that the insight of professionals will help narrow down the many choices of careers
available to graduating MBAs
(B) Career switchers, believing that the insight of professionals will help narrow down the many choices of careers available to graduating MBAs, often schedule interviews with high-level managers
(C) Career switchers believing that scheduling interviews with the insight of high-level professional managers will help narrow down the many choices of careers
available to graduating MBAs
(D) Career switchers, believing that interviews with high-level managers whose insight will help narrow down the many choices of careers available to graduating MBAs,
often schedule them
(E) Career switchers often schedule interviews to narrow down the many choices of careers available to graduating MBAs, believing that the insight of professionals
with high-level managers will help them

I wanted to confirm with the experts whether the answer to this question is A? or B? or are both of them correct?
It appears to that A is a close contender, with B as the given answer (as discussed on a couple of other forums, but with no OA provided).

Now i have read that the rules for [clause] + [comma] + [-ing ] is that verb-ing modifiers modify the preceding clause and the subject. Here " career switchers often schedule ...with X, believing that Y" the subject career switchers are the ones who believe whatever whatever and that that whole 'believing ...' is modifying the preceding clause perfectly.

so why is A wrong?

Experts, your divine intervention would be most welcome...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
Why is option A wrong? I chose option B between A and B but I had no concrete reason to eliminate A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 206
Send PM
Could an expert support on this pls.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Career switchers often schedule interviews with high-level [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
pra1785 wrote:
Why is option A wrong? I chose option B between A and B but I had no concrete reason to eliminate A.

There is no problem with A - this question seems to be faulty. This explanation states correctly why A is also correct:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/career-switc ... l#p1754963
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
IMHO “B” changes the meaning of the original sentence...it reverses the casual relationship between scheduling interviews with high level managers and insight of those professionals...Hence, “A”...Thoughts?? Thanks in advance..!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
ugimba wrote:
Aleehsgonji wrote:
a) Same as above
B) Career Switchers, beliveing that the insight of professionals will help narrow down the many choices of careers avialable to graduating MBAs, often schedule interviews with high level managers
c) career switchers believind that scheduling interviews with the insight of high level prossional managers will help narrow down the many choices of careers availbale to graduating MBAS.
d)career switchers, believing that interviews with high level managers whose insight will help narrow down the many choices of careers available to hraduating MBAs, often schedule them
e) Career switchers often schedule intervies to narrow down the many choices of careers availableto graducating MBAs, believing that the insight of professionals with high level managers will help them

I believe both A and B are correct ... modifier is present participle and can be placed anywhere since it modifes the main clause ( not just the subject).

and I dont see any other correction/change in B other than the place of the modifier..

in the exam I may pick B ..

source?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE:Brand Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
My choice is A.
1. As for A ",+Verbing" correctly modifies the preceding clause - proivding additional information why Career switchers often schedule interviews with high-level managers.
2. As ",+Verbing" does not modifiy noun preceding it , so i think it is inccorect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
A is incorrect.
Because A does not present either the result of the preceding clause or the how effect of the clause..
And it does not make sense to say believing makes sense with the Noun subject without including the verb along with subject

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yash312 wrote:
A is incorrect.
Because A does not present either the result of the preceding clause or the how effect of the clause..
And it does not make sense to say believing makes sense with the Noun subject without including the verb along with subject

Hy Yash,
Can you kindly guide which is the correct answer and why?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
nikhilbhat wrote:
Yash312 wrote:
A is incorrect.

Hy Yash,

Thanks

Hi

Please note that the Intended meaning of the sentence: Career switchers often schedule interviews with high-level managers, Because career switchers believe that the insight of professionals will help narrow down the many choices of careers available to graduating MBAs.

A) Career switchers often schedule interviews with high-level managers, believing that the insight of professionals will help narrow down the many choices of careers available to graduating MBAs.----Error: here usage of ,Believing intends to modify the previous clause presenting either the result or the How effect of the clause. But if you see the , believing is wrong because NO RESULT is present and Neither it show HOW the Carrer switcher believed ......

B) Career Switchers, beliveing that the insight of professionals will help narrow down the many choices of careers available to graduating MBAs, often schedule interviews with high level managers ....Correct, because here ,believing intends to modify the preceding noun making complete sense.

C) career switchers believind that scheduling interviews with the insight of high level prossional managers will help narrow down the many choices of careers availbale to graduating MBAS. ---ERROR---In this sentence there is no VERB for the main clause

D) career switchers, believing that interviews with high level managers whose insight will help narrow down the many choices of careers available to hraduating MBAs, often schedule them ----ERROR---usage of THEM is wrong, because it is not clear what THEM refers to

E) Career switchers often schedule intervies to narrow down the many choices of careers availableto graducating MBAs, believing that the insight of professionals with high level managers will help them----Same error as A
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yash312 wrote:
nikhilbhat wrote:
Yash312 wrote:
A is incorrect.

Hy Yash,

Thanks

Hi

Please note that the Intended meaning of the sentence: Career switchers often schedule interviews with high-level managers, Because career switchers believe that the insight of professionals will help narrow down the many choices of careers available to graduating MBAs.

A) Career switchers often schedule interviews with high-level managers, believing that the insight of professionals will help narrow down the many choices of careers available to graduating MBAs.----Error: here usage of ,Believing intends to modify the previous clause presenting either the result or the How effect of the clause. But if you see the , believing is wrong because NO RESULT is present and Neither it show HOW the Carrer switcher believed ......

B) Career Switchers, beliveing that the insight of professionals will help narrow down the many choices of careers available to graduating MBAs, often schedule interviews with high level managers ....Correct, because here ,believing intends to modify the preceding noun making complete sense.

C) career switchers believind that scheduling interviews with the insight of high level prossional managers will help narrow down the many choices of careers availbale to graduating MBAS. ---ERROR---In this sentence there is no VERB for the main clause

D) career switchers, believing that interviews with high level managers whose insight will help narrow down the many choices of careers available to hraduating MBAs, often schedule them ----ERROR---usage of THEM is wrong, because it is not clear what THEM refers to

E) Career switchers often schedule intervies to narrow down the many choices of careers availableto graducating MBAs, believing that the insight of professionals with high level managers will help them----Same error as A

Hy Yash,

This is where the confusion still exists, because ",+Verbing" modifier cannot modify a preceding noun, it only modifies a preceding verb or a complete clause.

Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts