Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 14:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Career transition options?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

What is the next step I should take?

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Career transition options? [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 08:28
I am a fairly recent graduate with a degree in Biology. I am interested into transitioning into business, but it is extremely difficult to find an entry level business related job. This is why I am considering an online MBA or MS program. I have a year's worth of work experience and 500 GMAT score. Are there any fairly reputable online programs that I have a chance to get into? Also, anyone know any MBA or Master's programs that admit you after successfully completing a few graduate courses? Lastly, do online business certificate programs increase an individual's chances of finding a business related job?

I appreciate any help.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [1] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Career transition options? [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 13:26
This post received
KUDOS
same7 wrote:
I am a fairly recent graduate with a degree in Biology. I am interested into transitioning into business, but it is extremely difficult to find an entry level business related job. This is why I am considering an online MBA or MS program. I have a year's worth of work experience and 500 GMAT score. Are there any fairly reputable online programs that I have a chance to get into? Also, anyone know any MBA or Master's programs that admit you after successfully completing a few graduate courses? Lastly, do online business certificate programs increase an individual's chances of finding a business related job?

I appreciate any help.

I will be careful in my answer as the answer may be trekking on thin ice.

An MBA without any work experience is basically useless. A student goes to get his/her MBA usually after working for 3-7 years. What happens afterwards is that business school trains students in business acumen and while attending school, recruiters come and recruit the mid-level managers. Without any work experience, the recruiters will treat you essentially as someone who just graduated from college. And in that sense, the MBA becomes nothing but a degree you can put on your business card. In terms of online programs, it's not for everyone. The online programs target those who cannot make it on a full-time basis (perhaps because he/she makes minimum wage and has to take care of 3 kids, or military folks who don't want to be away from family). The online programs, as far as I can tell, do not guarantee you a job at all. In fact, most big corporate will most likely treat online programs as a joke. My strongest opinion would be this - please do not entertain the idea of getting an online MBA degree simply because you don't have a job right now or because you think this online MBA can get you a job afterwards. That's a fairly naive thought and I wouldn't want anyone to do it. There's really no such thing as "reputable" online MBAs, but if you still want to pursue it, University of Phoenix, Devry, and Kaplan University pop into my mind. Again, think twice before you commit yourself to doing this.

If I were you, find a job and do it for a few years. Science-degree graduates tend to think that in order to make it into business school, one has to be doing something "business-like", such as accounting or banking. That's simply not true. It's not about the type of job (or the title) that you do, but it's about the quality of the job. What impacts do you bring to the company as a whole. What leadership roles have you taken on both in and outside of your career. Those are way more important in an applicant's profile.

Just an fyi - I graduated with a biology degree as well. I found a job managing a laboratory space (plus an array of other actionable items); however, none of it has to do with "business". I was able to get into one of the best business schools in the nation to pursue my career goal. In retrospect, had I gone through the online MBA route (which I've thought about...), my opportunities would have diminished dramatically, if not disappeared.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Career transition options? [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 14:48
bakfed,

Thank you for the long reply. Your writing is superb and you actually do sound like a leader with a soothing demeanor. I guess I was freaking out, because I am in a way jealous of undergrads whose abilities and lucks enable them to work at Goldman Sachs. Hopefully I spelled that correctly. Anyway, I am going to go ahead and find a staffing firm and get a job as a lab tech, a position which I held before. Lastly, good luck on your future endeavors. Darden is an excellent school.
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 204 [1] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Career transition options? [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 15:33
This post received
KUDOS
same7 wrote:
bakfed,

Thank you for the long reply. Your writing is superb and you actually do sound like a leader with a soothing demeanor. I guess I was freaking out, because I am in a way jealous of undergrads whose abilities and lucks enable them to work at Goldman Sachs. Hopefully I spelled that correctly. Anyway, I am going to go ahead and find a staffing firm and get a job as a lab tech, a position which I held before. Lastly, good luck on your future endeavors. Darden is an excellent school.

I just re-read what I wrote right now and boy, I sounded pretty cruel. I really don't want to come across as a prick but I truly am wishing everyone the best of success in life. I think you're making a good decision in looking for a job. Trust me; when I graduated in 2007 with a human biology degree, I was frustrated and discouraged at job search. I've always thought that med school was the way to go (or phd in science). However, in realizing that it's just not my cup of tea, I just had to buckle down and find a job (at that point, I've only thought about an MBA but know that I didn't know jack sh*t about it). While I worked at a couple of part-time jobs, I was finally able to secure a full-time position at a biotech/pharma. It was at this full-time position that helped me get to where I'll be going in August (along with some very extensive research on what an MBA is, what it means, and how it may help my career). Good luck, buddy! Feel free to come back to this site and ask questions regarding MBA (or even PM-ing me). There's also very helpful stuff on how to tackle the GMAT.

P.S. you did spell Goldman Sachs correctly :-D

Intern
Intern

Re: Career transition options? [#permalink] New post 14 May 2011, 08:41
bakfed,

Another question if you don't mind:

If I am struggling to find a permanent position, should I go ahead with a staffing agency? Aerotek seems to be a good one. However, I can find many people complaining about this company. Just the lazy ones? If I do go with Aerotek, I'll probably do contract-to-hire, if I am lucky. Staffing agencies are great for finding entry level to semi-professional positions, but my only issue with them is the fact that after a contract, a permanent position is not guaranteed and having gaps in resumes is a big issue. Contracts are usually 6 months to a year.
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Career transition options? [#permalink] New post 14 May 2011, 11:10
There's nothing wrong with contract agency, as long as you get a job. It's hard to say whether you'll land a job, but at least it's a job. I'd say use the agency if you like and continue to look for a permanent job.

Re: Career transition options?   [#permalink] 14 May 2011, 11:10