Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Nov 2014, 17:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Carlson Vs Rotman - Which to choose ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q42 V20
GMAT 2: 540 Q43 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
WE: Business Development (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 18

Carlson Vs Rotman - Which to choose ? [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 23:29
I have been accepted at Carlson and Rotman and quite confused on which to choose. I am looking for specialization in entrepreneurship as I am coming from a family business background and have a solid 5 years of experience in IT and Food/Hospitality industry. Post MBA I would like to work for a couple of years and then come back here to join the business. While both are not the top bschools with entrepreneurship specialization, I have also been waitlisted in Babson and Babcock. In case I get Babson, should I drop these two and switch over to that. On the whole I checked out the course work as well and it seems there doesn't seem to be too much of a difference between all these schools and the teaching method remains the same. I have also been in touch with few people from all these schools and everything seems similar. So which would be more suitable for my profile ? Any suggestions would be of great help.

KUDOS - if my post has helped you.

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 583 [0], given: 30

Re: Carlson Vs Rotman - Which to choose ? [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2013, 22:20
Expert's post
Well, the first two things I would ask are:
1. Where do you want to work after graduation? (what region)
2. Where do you want to work after graduation? (what industry, what employer)

Carlson, Rotman Babson are all excellent programs, and arguments could be made for each. But ultimately I think it comes down to: okay, which school will get me what I need/want?

So get back to me, and I'll do my best to advise you further.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q42 V20
GMAT 2: 540 Q43 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
WE: Business Development (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 18

Re: Carlson Vs Rotman - Which to choose ? [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2013, 04:03
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Well, the first two things I would ask are:
1. Where do you want to work after graduation? (what region)
2. Where do you want to work after graduation? (what industry, what employer)

Carlson, Rotman Babson are all excellent programs, and arguments could be made for each. But ultimately I think it comes down to: okay, which school will get me what I need/want?

So get back to me, and I'll do my best to advise you further.

1.Since I am international applicant, I am more leaned towards where I can get more opportunities related to my target industry. I have plans to join my family business few years down the line and expand it on a large scale, so a program that focuses on entrepreneurship and a work experience which broadens my knowledge in general management, strategy and operations would be of great help.
2.My current job is to improve the performance of our organization by improving the services, analyzing the sales data, reports etc and provide new ideas, which include opportunity identification, planning, projections, and implementation. I want to expand my overall knowledge in these aspects, so I am looking for Consulting roles in strategy and operations.

KUDOS - if my post has helped you.

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 583 [0], given: 30

Re: Carlson Vs Rotman - Which to choose ? [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2013, 04:47
Expert's post
Well, first question: do you want to live in the US or Canada??
:) If that doesn't matter, my tendency would lean to Carlson. It's s lightly more selective program, with better hiring statistics and higher salaries (which is a bit normal, given that it is in the US). Both can help you reach your goals (every school has folks going into consulting), but like I wrote, I think thought about location preferences and where you want to work for the next few years should probably play a big role in your decision.

Hope this helps,

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!