Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 16:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Carnegie Mellon vs Indiana vs Vanderbilt

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Carnegie Mellon vs Indiana vs Vanderbilt [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2010, 07:55
Hi Everyone ~

I received admission to the MBA programs at Carnegie Mellon, Indiana and Vanderbilt; and I was hoping to get advice on which school to choose.

My background is in finance and my intention is to stay in the industry, perhaps either investment banking or investment management.

I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 25

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Carnegie Mellon vs Indiana vs Vanderbilt [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2010, 18:37
This post received
KUDOS
MadHatter10 wrote:
Hi Everyone ~

I received admission to the MBA programs at Carnegie Mellon, Indiana and Vanderbilt; and I was hoping to get advice on which school to choose.

My background is in finance and my intention is to stay in the industry, perhaps either investment banking or investment management.

I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks!

Carnegie Mellon is a great school (I'm an alum of their undergrad program), but I don't think it's a feeder into Investment Banking.

I would look at the employment reports for each school to see which ones have the highest percentages / numbers of graduates going into IB or IM.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Tepper Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 3

Re: Carnegie Mellon vs Indiana vs Vanderbilt [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2010, 17:25
This post received
KUDOS
I have an undergraduate business degree and work experience in finance as well. I'm not too worried about the quant/engineering emphasis. Tepper is also grade non-disclosure.
Current Student
Schools: Tepper Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 3

Re: Carnegie Mellon vs Indiana vs Vanderbilt [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2010, 10:24
I am in a very similar situation between Carnegie Mellon, Vanderbilt, WashU and Rochester. I have all but decided on Tepper since I believe it will provide the best opportunity of getting an associate banking position. Investment banking is definitely an uphill battle at any of these programs - I spoke to Tepper's career center and they said that about 30 students per class initially intend on pursuing ibanking and that the number ends up being around 10 when all is said and done.

Vanderbilt on the other hand is supposed to have strong finance contacts on Wall Street, but I seriously doubt that they will be any better than that of Tepper's.

Which program are you leaning towards right now? And are you waiting on others?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Carnegie Mellon vs Indiana vs Vanderbilt [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2010, 15:57
I've rank ordered the programs as 1) Tepper, 2) Vanderbilt, and 3) Indiana, but I'm still in the process of deciding. I also heard back from Rice last week but will likely not be going.

If you don't mind me asking, do you come from a quantitative background? I'm an undergraduate business major with experience in finance, but I'm apprehensive about keeping up with classmates who come from engineering and computer science backgrounds. If you have any insight about this issue, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden, Duke, Booth, Texas, Georgetown

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Carnegie Mellon vs Indiana vs Vanderbilt [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2010, 21:53
MadHatter10 wrote:
I've rank ordered the programs as 1) Tepper, 2) Vanderbilt, and 3) Indiana, but I'm still in the process of deciding. I also heard back from Rice last week but will likely not be going.

If you don't mind me asking, do you come from a quantitative background? I'm an undergraduate business major with experience in finance, but I'm apprehensive about keeping up with classmates who come from engineering and computer science backgrounds. If you have any insight about this issue, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Did you make up your mind where you want to go? I am in a similar position as you and deciding between Rice, Georgetown and Tepper. I might sound foolish but I think I am leaning towards Rice at this point because they gave me 40% scholarship. Also, being in Houston will give access to a lot of energy IBs. Tepper is a great program, but last year only 2.33% went into IB, where as 9 kids from Rice (class of 125) went to IB. Also, Tepper is absolutely in the middle of nowhere which makes networking difficult, opposed to Rice being in Houston. Also, Pitt's weather is a major turn off for me. Georgetown is great but the cost of living is very expensive, so I am not sure it is worth spending 60k more there than going to Rice.

All said and done, I have still not decided and honestly I am getting frustrated. I do not want to kick myself in the foot for not going to a top 15 school like Tepper or a top 20 like Georgetown.

PS: From my visit to Tepper, a lot of kids did have science background so make sure your math fundamentals are strong if you decide to attend there.

Any other suggestions are welcome to help me with my dilema
Re: Carnegie Mellon vs Indiana vs Vanderbilt   [#permalink] 10 Mar 2010, 21:53