Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Case Study schools vs Traditional schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Case Study schools vs Traditional schools [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2011, 13:18
Just wanted to ask before I thought about which schools to focus on. Some people say schools with the case study method are better, while others like the more traditional mix. For people who are in or have been through either/both, some quick questions.

What do you find good about the method your school employs -- case study or non-case study?

What do you find lacking about only using case studies? Or only having case studies as one approach?

Any and all comments welcome. Thanks in advance!

= = = = = = = = = =

If you liked my post, please consider a Kudos for me. Thanks!

Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS Class of 2013
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: Case Study schools vs Traditional schools [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2011, 18:13
I can only speak for myself on this, but coming from a non-finance background, I was turned off by the case method only approach. I have a hard time believing this would be sufficient for me to learn the more technical aspects of finance and accounting. Since this was one of my primary motivations for getting an MBA, I did not apply to any of these schools. However, I think that if you have the right background (i.e. finance), it might make a lot more sense.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: Case Study schools vs Traditional schools [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2011, 09:34
Agree with vince's post. I also applied to only non-case study schools for the same reason. And plus, I've been through many cases as part of training at work and could not imagine myself going through two years of just doing cases. Comes down to a combination of preference and what you want to get out of your MBA.

GMAT Guide: 10-critical-factors-to-beat-the-gmat-106790.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Case Study schools vs Traditional schools [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2011, 11:17
All good points. Very helpful to know. Thank you!

= = = = = = = = = =

If you liked my post, please consider a Kudos for me. Thanks!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: Case Study schools vs Traditional schools [#permalink] New post 04 May 2011, 22:50
is finance work just more "case study"-ish, so that it feels like you are at work, "at school"?

I had thought taking apart a real world example would have made more sense then just studying material like undergrad...
Kind of like how med students work on real cases on paper...
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Case Study schools vs Traditional schools [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 07:19
I can see the point about cases being bad for Statistics and Accounting, but I will say that in my experience case-heavy classes were always the best. It actually gets you thinking of the problem in as close to a real world context as you can in a classroom. I even found this useful in Finance classes.

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Case Study schools vs Traditional schools   [#permalink] 18 May 2011, 07:19