Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 06:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cass Business School vs. EDHEC

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
Joined: 25 Dec 2012
Posts: 3
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Cass Business School vs. EDHEC [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 07:52
Hello everyone!

I need your help! I just got accepted to two Master programmes: The 2-year double-degree Master in Management programme at EDHEC in Nice, France (specializing in financial markets) and the MSc. in Investment Management at Cass Business School. I was wondering what you guys think about both schools in terms of quality of education, reputation and career prospects?

I hope to become active in the fixed-income market at a major international financial institution, although this might be just a temporal interest due to the media coverage of this market. Besides that, I am not necessarily aiming at a job in Europe, even though a job in Europe would be perfectly acceptable. I am pretty interested in pursuing a career in Asia.

Ohyeah, I have also applied to the MSc. in Economics at SSE (applied economics analysis), which I hope to complement with finance courses. That way, I hope to give my academic background a quantitative spin.

Any thoughts on the above!? Please help me out guys, the first deposit deadline is due on March 15!

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Joined: 06 Apr 2012
Posts: 38
Location: France
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Re: Cass Business School vs. EDHEC [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 08:45
ysouren wrote:
I am pretty interested in pursuing a career in Asia.


If you were to work in EU: SSE (assuming you get in) > Cass > EDHEC

Go with Cass otherwise. EDHEC is a decent school, especially for Finance but not well known outside France. You'd be much better off attending Cass unless you want to spend 2 years in France to improve your language skills and squeeze an offcyle internship between courses.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 25 Dec 2012
Posts: 3
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Cass Business School vs. EDHEC [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 10:44
Thanks for your response foars!

On what aspect do you think SSE outperforms Cass?

Based on previous posts I've read, I'm guessing that you think Cass has a better reputation and offers superior career prospects?

The reason I am considering EDHEC is that they offered me a nice scholarship, plus EDHEC offers the opportunity to gain a double degree from LSE or Cambridge, which sounds like an interesting deal too.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 06 Apr 2012
Posts: 38
Location: France
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Re: Cass Business School vs. EDHEC [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 11:20
ysouren wrote:
Thanks for your response foars!

On what aspect do you think SSE outperforms Cass?

Based on previous posts I've read, I'm guessing that you think Cass has a better reputation and offers superior career prospects?

The reason I am considering EDHEC is that they offered me a nice scholarship, plus EDHEC offers the opportunity to gain a double degree from LSE or Cambridge, which sounds like an interesting deal too.


SSE is very highly regarded in EU, especially by financial institutions. Cass has much better international recognition and will give you more career prospects. Unless you speak french I see no point going with EDHEC. Even in France it's ranked 5th and they prefer engineer graduates for sales/trading.
Regarding the double diploma, I don't know about cambridge but the thing you get from LSE is a diploma in accounting and finance and not a "masters" degree. I just assume even if they have anything substantial with cambridge it must be like 1 student / whole intake.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 25 Dec 2012
Posts: 3
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Cass Business School vs. EDHEC [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 03:39
foars wrote:
SSE is very highly regarded in EU, especially by financial institutions. Cass has much better international recognition and will give you more career prospects. Unless you speak french I see no point going with EDHEC. Even in France it's ranked 5th and they prefer engineer graduates for sales/trading.
Regarding the double diploma, I don't know about cambridge but the thing you get from LSE is a diploma in accounting and finance and not a "masters" degree. I just assume even if they have anything substantial with cambridge it must be like 1 student / whole intake.


Thanks again for your input, really appreciate it. No, I don't speak French, other than basic conversational French.

Based on the information of several fora, it seems like there's a general consensus on the limited career prospects of EDHEC. However, if that's the case, then what causes the discrepancy between this consensus and for example the Financial Times Master in Finance (Pre-experience) ranking? Surely, it can't solely be explained by reputation factors, can it?

The Financial Times rank EDHEC 6th, whereas Cass is listed 10 solid places below that: 16th. SSE is even further down the ladder: rank 18. Looking into the "Alumni career progress" section, it seems that EDHEC is outperforming Cass at all points..

I'm sorry about whining on about all this, it just appears that the above information really contrasts to the the information posted on student fora...
Intern
Intern
Joined: 06 Apr 2012
Posts: 38
Location: France
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Re: Cass Business School vs. EDHEC [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 04:30
FT rankings are very unreliable. Ranking MIM's as ESCP>HEC>ESSEC and Bocconi at 27th Place in MFin rankings says a lot. I think they rankings are more for average students looking for course satisfaction, faculty, value for money or employment stats. If a student attends EDHEC Msc Finance and then lands a job as financial analyst at some medium sized company of course he would be happy to rate the degree good because he wasn't aiming higher than that. The rankings would be completely different for people seeking a career in consulting/finance.

Not saying Cass is a good school as well because I hardly know much about it but I can surely make a comparison against EDHEC.

ysouren wrote:
foars wrote:
SSE is very highly regarded in EU, especially by financial institutions. Cass has much better international recognition and will give you more career prospects. Unless you speak french I see no point going with EDHEC. Even in France it's ranked 5th and they prefer engineer graduates for sales/trading.
Regarding the double diploma, I don't know about cambridge but the thing you get from LSE is a diploma in accounting and finance and not a "masters" degree. I just assume even if they have anything substantial with cambridge it must be like 1 student / whole intake.


Thanks again for your input, really appreciate it. No, I don't speak French, other than basic conversational French.

Based on the information of several fora, it seems like there's a general consensus on the limited career prospects of EDHEC. However, if that's the case, then what causes the discrepancy between this consensus and for example the Financial Times Master in Finance (Pre-experience) ranking? Surely, it can't solely be explained by reputation factors, can it?

The Financial Times rank EDHEC 6th, whereas Cass is listed 10 solid places below that: 16th. SSE is even further down the ladder: rank 18. Looking into the "Alumni career progress" section, it seems that EDHEC is outperforming Cass at all points..

I'm sorry about whining on about all this, it just appears that the above information really contrasts to the the information posted on student fora...
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Joined: 16 Jul 2013
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: Cass Business School vs. EDHEC [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 07:04
2
This post received
KUDOS
Hello everyone,

I am an Edhec MSc Finance international alumni and I decided to share some thoughts on the programme.
If you speak fluent French, have the legal right and want to live and work in France after graduation, then the clear choice is Edhec. Otherwise, pick Cass.

In France, they offer many internships and some of them (5-7%) do not require fluent French. However, most of these internships do not lead to full-time employment (about 90%). In France, no one is going to hire a non-fluent French speaker and no one is going to sponsor you for a work visa. The staff from Edhec’s career centre is very friendly but it is not going to find you a job/internship. They will just help you with your CV, Cover Letter, with mock interviews and give you other advices.

In general, I would not recommend any of these schools for international students (non-EU). I have heard that recently the UK government discontinued the 2 year work visa programme for international students that have obtained a university degree there. Cass is also very expensive and if you are not going to work in the UK after graduation (at least for a while), it is a waste of your money. The same is true with Edhec.

I would recommend for international students to go to Canada & the US (even in second/third-tier schools). Both countries offer opportunities for students to work there after graduation and to eventually obtain a permanent resident (Canada) and a citizenship later on. The people in North America are also more open minded (compared to Europe) and most of them will not discriminate based on nationality, race etc. (which is very common in France and most EU countries – indirectly).

I hope my comments would be helpful to those that want to do a MSc Finance degree.
Re: Cass Business School vs. EDHEC   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2013, 07:04
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
New posts Calling All Cass Business School applicants 2011 StPats0203 2 13 Jan 2011, 09:49
New posts MSc in Management: ESADE vs. EDHEC vs. CASS jbelli 6 25 Jan 2012, 03:28
New posts How is Masters in Finance at Cass Business School ????? mastersinfinance 4 31 Jan 2012, 23:13
New posts Cass mim or edhec msc global business johndoyen8 0 19 Jan 2013, 11:21
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Cass Business School vs. EDHEC

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.