Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 15:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 15:49
Hello HongHu,
Thanks very much for your kind explanations below. I now fully understand what the sentences are meaning and question asking. It was bit difficult for me to grasp the meaning of sentences of this question... Thank you.

HongHu wrote:
It basically says when catapillars grow up to a certain size, its body will generate certain enzyme that make it stop feeding itself before it makes the little house for itself (then it will become a butterfly). So if we can make the same enzyme and spread it to a young catapillar then it will stop feeding itself, but it's not ready to become a butterfly yet. Instead it will die.

Question asks why it is not good to use this method to kill the agriculture pest that go through the catapillar phases. Well I believe that is because other good insects may also be killed by this method, which is not good.

Best regards,

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 15:50
To All,
Good discussions! The OA is C.

Best regards,

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 153 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 18:04
HongHu wrote:
ywilfred wrote:
I think the key word here is 'advisable'. If i changed it to 'why it is not useful to use the enzyme to kill agricultural pests', then B would be the answer.

Is that right ? :-D

No. B is wrong because it is totally out of scope. The question asks about pests that go through the catapillar phase. B talks about pests that don't go through the catapillar phase.

An example:
If I pour the dirty water on this bucket out we'll have a cleaner bucket.
Correct objection: But you'll also pour out the baby in the bucket!
Incorrect objection: But you still have a nonclean bathtub!

I would say 'B' is wrong because of the word advisable. B's meaning would be it's not useful to spray enzymes, rather than it's ill-adivsed to do so. C is correct because it's a bad move to do so since the enzyme are killing other insects that might be beneficial to your crops.

All in all, I agree with your stand on why C is correct.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 19:52
ywilfred wrote:
I would say 'B' is wrong because of the word advisable. B's meaning would be it's not useful to spray enzymes, rather than it's ill-adivsed to do so.

Hmmm why would you say that it's not useful to spray enzymes? It will kill all agricuture pests that go through the catapillar will it not? I'd say that it IS very useful. (Although still not good.)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 153 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2005, 00:44
gmat2me2 wrote:
HongHu wrote:
ywilfred wrote:
I would say 'B' is wrong because of the word advisable. B's meaning would be it's not useful to spray enzymes, rather than it's ill-adivsed to do so.

Hmmm why would you say that it's not useful to spray enzymes? It will kill all agricuture pests that go through the catapillar will it not? I'd say that it IS very useful. (Although still not good.)

Yes it is C.....

I said it's not useful because in (B), it says most agricultural pests do not go through a caterpillar stage. If this is the case, then most agricultural pests will still be eating away at your crops. Thus spraying the enzymes is not useful.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2005, 10:02
Sounds like you still didn't get what I was trying to say. The question didn't ask whether the method is useful to kill all agriculture pests. It asks whether the method is useful to kill agriculture pests that go through the catapillor stages.

B is like if I ask whether it is a good method to fend away attacks of bombs and you answer a lot of times they would attack us using poisons and this method is not good because it can't fend away poisons.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 2

Caterpillars [#permalink] New post 30 May 2010, 05:00
Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone called “juvenile hormone” that maintains feeding behavior. Only when a caterpillar has grown to the right size for pupation to take place does a special enzyme halt the production of juvenile hormone. This enzyme can be synthesized and will, on being ingested by immature caterpillars, kill them by stopping them from feeding.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the view that it would not be advisable to try to eradicate agricultural pests that go through a caterpillar stage by spraying croplands with the enzyme mentioned above?

(A) Most species of caterpillar are subject to some natural predation.
(B) Many agricultural pests do not go through a caterpillar stage.
(C) Many agriculturally beneficial insects go through a caterpillar stage.
(D) Since caterpillars of different species emerge at different times, several sprayings would be necessary.
(E) Although the enzyme has been synthesized in the laboratory, no large-scale production facilities exist as yet.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Caterpillars [#permalink] New post 30 May 2010, 05:20
IMO C
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 2

Re: Caterpillars [#permalink] New post 30 May 2010, 06:29
mrik wrote:
IMO C

May I ask why?

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Caterpillars [#permalink] New post 30 May 2010, 08:06
noboru wrote:
mrik wrote:
IMO C

May I ask why?

The paragraph goes on explaining that the enzyme when produced, halts the production of “juvenile hormone”, which maintains feeding behavior in caterpillars. So if the enzyme is produced synthetically and used as insecticides then it will be useful in eradicating caterpillars.

Only C supports the fact that if there are other agriculturally beneficial insects that go through a caterpillar stage then they may also get eradicated when the enzyme is administered.

Please give kudos if i have helped you in understanding :)
Current Student
Affiliations: ?
Schools: Kellogg; Ross ($$); Tuck
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 6

Re: Caterpillars [#permalink] New post 30 May 2010, 08:08
I would also go with C

The argument says that the synthesized enzyme will kill young caterpillars to protect crops. but in the question, we are asked to choose the option saying that we should not protect crops by this mean.

(C) tells us that is we try to protect crops by this mean, we will also kill some insects that are beneficial to agriculture.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Caterpillars [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2010, 06:48
It's C.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 223 [0], given: 6

Re: Caterpillars [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 12:03
C for me.

Caterpillars of all species produce a hormone, “juvenile hormone”, that maintains feeding behavior. When caterpillar grows to right size a special enzyme stops the production of that hormone (which maintains feeding bhevior). However if this enzyme is ingested in immature caterpillars it would kill them by stopping them from feeding.

Why it would not be advisable to kill agricultural pests that go through a caterpillar stage by spraying crops with enzymes

surely, it would not be advisable to kill agricultural pests if those pests are of some benefit to the farmers or in their agriculture business. Then there could be no reason to kill them.

Option C says exactly that.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

700 plus level question [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2011, 10:59
Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone called "juvenile hormone" that maintains feeding
behavior. Only when a caterpillar has grown to the right size for pupation to take place does a special enzyme halt the production of juvenile hormone. This enzyme can be synthesized and will, on being ingested by immature caterpillars, kill them by stopping them from feeding.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the view that it would not be advisable to try to
eradicate agricultural pests that go through a caterpillar stage by spraying croplands with the enzyme
mentioned above?
(A) Most species of caterpillar are subject to some natural predation.
(B) Many agricultural pests do not go through a caterpillar stage.
(D) Since caterpillars of different species emerge at different times, several sprayings would be necessary.
(E) Although the enzyme has been synthesized in the laboratory, no large-scale production facilities exist as
yet.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 2.3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 115

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 09:41
The answer should be, in my opinion, C. What is the OA?

---------------------------------------------------------------
Consider to give me kudos if my post helped you.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Schulich '16

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 04:00
b is out ...pls read the question stem ..."it would not be advisable to try to
eradicate agricultural pests that go through a caterpillar stage by spraying croplands"

it is already mentioned tht the agric. pests will go thru the caterpillar stage.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 293

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 04:32
Taku wrote:
Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone called "juvenile hormone" that maintains feeding behavior. Only when a caterpillar has grown to the right size for pupation to take place does a special enzyme halt the production of juvenile hormone. This enzyme can be synthesized and will, on being ingested by immature caterpillars, kill them by stopping them from feeding.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the view that it would not be advisable to try to eradicate agricultural pests that go through a caterpillar stage by spraying croplands with the enzyme mentioned above?

A: Most species of caterpillar are subject to some natural predation.
B: Many agricultural pests do not go through a caterpillar stage.
C: Many agriculturally beneficial insects go through a caterpillar stage.
D: Since caterpillars of different species emerge at different times, several sprayings would be neccesary.
E: Although the enzyme has been synthsized in the laboratory, no large-scale production facilities exist as yet.

Has anyone found the OA for this one? I chose B by POE because it is the answer choice that to me makes more sense.
Let's quickly go through the answer choices
A: Out of scope
B: This may be right, still I'm not too sure because it uses the word many, what about the others? But i'll leave it in for the time being.
C: This actually says the opposite of what we want. This would say why it WOULD be advisable
D: So what? If different sprayings are necessary then let's do it. Not too big of a deal. Still I'll leave it in just in case
E: Out of scope. I don't really care as long as I can get it somehow. And this is not what we are asked

So between B and D. Not be advisable huh? I think B is just a little bit better as an answer choice but to me it is a really close call unless I am missing something.
Experts please? Any words of wisdom on the passage?

Thanks
Cheers
J :)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Human Resources, International Business
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 43

Re: Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 07:05
I think option C as it is the only option which strongly says 'No' to spraying of the enzyme.

B is close but not strong enough as it talks about those pests who do not go through the 'juvenile hormone' stage. It does not talk about the effect it can have on those pests who go through that stage.

A, D, E are simply irrelevant.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 293

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2013, 14:57
HongHu wrote:
ywilfred wrote:
I think the key word here is 'advisable'. If i changed it to 'why it is not useful to use the enzyme to kill agricultural pests', then B would be the answer.

Is that right ? :-D

No. B is wrong because it is totally out of scope. The question asks about pests that go through the catapillar phase. B talks about pests that don't go through the catapillar phase.

An example:
If I pour the dirty water on this bucket out we'll have a cleaner bucket.
Correct objection: But you'll also pour out the baby in the bucket!
Incorrect objection: But you still have a nonclean bathtub!

Hey guys, what's the OA for this one? I'm going with B. Definetely not advisable if they do not go through caterpillar stage. It wouldnt make no sense would it?

Cheers
J :)
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 2

Re: Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2013, 01:34
Let's break down the argument:
Juvenile Hormone - > Kills Caterpillars

Task: The answer should provide a reason that will show that spraying Juvenile hormone is NOT advisable.

The biggest assumption the author of the argument makes is that- Killing caterpillars is Good; or in other words - All caterpillars are bad.

This assumption if proven wrong. Will highlight a reason NOT to go ahead with the suggested plan.
We need an answer choice, therefore, that brings out some disadvantage that killing caterpillars through this method might bring.

Lets explore the answer choices:
A. We are not bothered about "natural predators" - this is out of scope : Eliminate
B. If this statement were true. Caterpillars will be killed -> some pests will be killed therefore. This doesn't bring out any negative consequence. Sure many pest will remain unharmed (because they don't go through a caterpillar stage - but the argument isn't bothered about this, and neither must you!) : Eliminate
C. Yes, this says that some beneficial insects go through caterpillar phase and will as a consequence be killed by the "Juvenile Hormone" -> this shows a clear negative consequence to following the proposed plan. This is the correct answer.
D. That several spraying will be necessary is irrelevant and is not really a negative Consequence : Eliminate
E. That large scale production facilities don't exist isn't a negative consequence either : Eliminate

Hope that Helped!

Ajeeth Peo
Verbal Instructor

If you find our response valuable, please encourage us with Kudos!

Live online classes by 99th percentile instructors!
http://gmat.crackverbal.com/gmat-courses/online/gmat-live-course/

Get a FREE profile evaluation from CrackVerbal experts!
http://applications.crackverbal.com/free-resources/profile-evaluation/

Re: Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone   [#permalink] 29 Oct 2013, 01:34