Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:27 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Strengthenx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1056 [84]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2329 [3]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [4]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [2]
Send PM
Re: Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone called "juven [#permalink]
Kudos
I would choose C too. Almost chosen B, but on a closer look at the question, it says why it is not advisable to use the enzyme to kill agricultural pests that go through a caterpillar stage.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Re: Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone called "juven [#permalink]
Taku wrote:
Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone called "juvenile hormone" that maintains feeding behavior. Only when a caterpillar has grown to the right size for pupation to take place does a special enzyme halt the production of juvenile hormone. This enzyme can be synthesized and will, on being ingested by immature caterpillars, kill them by stopping them from feeding.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the view that it would not be advisable to try to eradicate agricultural pests that go through a caterpillar stage by spraying croplands with the enzyme mentioned above?

A: Most species of caterpillar are subject to some natural predation.
B: Many agricultural pests do not go through a caterpillar stage.
C: Many agriculturally beneficial insects go through a caterpillar stage.
D: Since caterpillars of different species emerge at different times, several sprayings would be neccesary.
E: Although the enzyme has been synthsized in the laboratory, no large-scale production facilities exist as yet.

Has anyone found the OA for this one? I chose B by POE because it is the answer choice that to me makes more sense.
Let's quickly go through the answer choices
A: Out of scope
B: This may be right, still I'm not too sure because it uses the word many, what about the others? But i'll leave it in for the time being.
C: This actually says the opposite of what we want. This would say why it WOULD be advisable
D: So what? If different sprayings are necessary then let's do it. Not too big of a deal. Still I'll leave it in just in case
E: Out of scope. I don't really care as long as I can get it somehow. And this is not what we are asked

So between B and D. Not be advisable huh? I think B is just a little bit better as an answer choice but to me it is a really close call unless I am missing something.
Experts please? Any words of wisdom on the passage?

Thanks
Cheers
J :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 274 [2]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
Send PM
Kudos
jlgdr wrote:
Taku wrote:
Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone called "juvenile hormone" that maintains feeding behavior. Only when a caterpillar has grown to the right size for pupation to take place does a special enzyme halt the production of juvenile hormone. This enzyme can be synthesized and will, on being ingested by immature caterpillars, kill them by stopping them from feeding.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the view that it would not be advisable to try to eradicate agricultural pests that go through a caterpillar stage by spraying croplands with the enzyme mentioned above?

A: Most species of caterpillar are subject to some natural predation.
B: Many agricultural pests do not go through a caterpillar stage.
C: Many agriculturally beneficial insects go through a caterpillar stage.
D: Since caterpillars of different species emerge at different times, several sprayings would be neccesary.
E: Although the enzyme has been synthsized in the laboratory, no large-scale production facilities exist as yet.

Has anyone found the OA for this one? I chose B by POE because it is the answer choice that to me makes more sense.
Let's quickly go through the answer choices
A: Out of scope
B: This may be right, still I'm not too sure because it uses the word many, what about the others? But i'll leave it in for the time being.
C: This actually says the opposite of what we want. This would say why it WOULD be advisable
D: So what? If different sprayings are necessary then let's do it. Not too big of a deal. Still I'll leave it in just in case
E: Out of scope. I don't really care as long as I can get it somehow. And this is not what we are asked

So between B and D. Not be advisable huh? I think B is just a little bit better as an answer choice but to me it is a really close call unless I am missing something.
Experts please? Any words of wisdom on the passage?

Thanks
Cheers
J :)

The OA is C for this question. It is in OG 12th Edition.

A Spraying would eradicate all pests that go through a caterpillar stage and so is more eff ective than
natural predators are. This statement provides no reason not to spray.
B Spraying aff ects only those agricultural pests that do go through a caterpillar stage, so this
statement is irrelevant.
C Correct. Th is statement properly identifi es evidence that strengthens the argument against
spraying.
D The need to spray repeatedly does not provide any significant evidence that spraying is
inadvisable, but simply suggests that the process will be more complicated.
E The mere lack of current production facilities does not mean that it would be inadvisable to
develop and use the spray in the future.
Th e correct answer is C.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [4]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos