Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 03:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Jan 2005
Posts: 83
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2005, 23:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

91% (01:52) correct 9% (02:03) wrong based on 32 sessions
Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone called "juvenile hormone" that maintains feeding behavior. Only when a caterpillar has grown to the right size for pupation to take place does a special enzyme halt the production of juvenile hormone. This enzyme can be synthesized and will, on being ingested by immature caterpillars, kill them by stopping them from feeding.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the view that it would not be advisable to try to eradicate agricultural pests that go through a caterpillar stage by spraying croplands with the enzyme mentioned above?

A: Most species of caterpillar are subject to some natural predation.
B: Many agricultural pests do not go through a caterpillar stage.
C: Many agriculturally beneficial insects go through a caterpillar stage.
D: Since caterpillars of different species emerge at different times, several sprayings would be neccesary.
E: Although the enzyme has been synthsized in the laboratory, no large-scale production facilities exist as yet.
_________________

Best regards,

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1493
Location: Germany
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 07:48
B)

C) should be out because it would still be advisable because it would eliminate the pests as well as many beneficial insects but we can assume that there are other beneficial factors so the goal would be achieved.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2004
Posts: 193
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 09:58
not B, not C

not B---- because the question stem--

is asking--- "why the spraying of the enzyme is not advisable to kill the pests that go through caterpillar stage"

so in a way B is out of scope.

answere should be between A , D and E

D --seems best as spraying at diff time may result in the development of mature caterpillars-- hence not affected by the enzyme.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jun 2004
Posts: 1128
Location: London, UK
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 22:57
I would go for D

A: Most species of caterpillar are subject to some natural predation.
out of scope
B: Many agricultural pests do not go through a caterpillar stage.
The question is only related to agricultural pests that go through a caterpillar stage and not to the pests that don't go through a caterpillar stage
C: Many agriculturally beneficial insects go through a caterpillar stage.
we care about agricultural pests that go through a caterpillar stage and not about beneficial insects
D: Since caterpillars of different species emerge at different times, several sprayings would be neccesary.
good one - sprayings + caterpillars included
E: Although the enzyme has been synthsized in the laboratory, no large-scale production facilities exist as yet.
out of scope
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5097
Location: Singapore
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2005, 00:34
1) Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone called "juvenile hormone" that maintains feeding behavior.
2) Only when a caterpillar has grown to the right size for pupation to take place does a special enzyme halt the production of juvenile hormone.
3) This enzyme can be synthesized and will, on being ingested by immature caterpillars, kill them by stopping them from feeding.

We'red asked to find a statement that supports the view that it is not advisable to eradicate pests that go through a caterpillar stage by spraying croplands with the enzyme.

A: Most species of caterpillar are subject to some natural predation.
- Out of scope

B: Many agricultural pests do not go through a caterpillar stage.
- If many pests do not go through a caterpilar stage, then there is really no point in spraying the croplands with the enzyme.

C: Many agriculturally beneficial insects go through a caterpillar stage.
- We're more concerned removing the caterpillars (but not via enzyme spraying) than preserving benficial insects.

D: Since caterpillars of different species emerge at different times, several sprayings would be neccesary.
- We're not concerned how many sprays in a year are needed. All we want is an answer choice that tells us why spraying enzymes on the croplands are not advisable.

E: Although the enzyme has been synthsized in the laboratory, no large-scale production facilities exist as yet.
- Out of scope

I'll take B
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5097
Location: Singapore
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2005, 00:36
dipaksingh wrote:
not B, not C

not B---- because the question stem--

is asking--- "why the spraying of the enzyme is not advisable to kill the pests that go through caterpillar stage"

so in a way B is out of scope.

answere should be between A , D and E

D --seems best as spraying at diff time may result in the development of mature caterpillars-- hence not affected by the enzyme.


D can be interpreted as 'you need to spary the enzyme whole year round since caterpillars mature at different times'. Interpreted this way, D cannot be the answer since it still not does not answer why it is not recommended to spray the enzyme.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 1447
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2005, 07:42
"C"....we r concerned abt getting rid of few pests that go thro the caterpillar stages...."B" is not it, becose even if many of the paets don't go thro the stages, but we can still achieve our goal to eradicate the ones that do go thro those stages, as we r not out to eradicate all pests. Only C has a bad side effect of spraying.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2004
Posts: 193
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2005, 09:22
ywilfred

according to the question-- "why the spraying of the enzyme is not advisable to kill the pests THAT go through caterpillar stage"

now if we pay attention to the question we get that the question is asking only about the pests (WHICH/THAT) passes through caterpillar stage.

so any answere stem about the pests without caterpillar stage is out of scope.
[/b]
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 2255
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2005, 09:41
I would choose C too. Almost chosen B, but on a closer look at the question, it says why it is not advisable to use the enzyme to kill agricultural pests that go through a caterpillar stage.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1493
Location: Germany
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2005, 10:24
HongHu wrote:
I would choose C too. Almost chosen B, but on a closer look at the question, it says why it is not advisable to use the enzyme to kill agricultural pests that go through a caterpillar stage.


...there are some pests that DONT go through a caterpillar stage. so it WOULDNT eliminate them. so it WONT be advisable. isnt it B ?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 2255
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2005, 10:31
But it is not asking about those pest that do not go through a catapiller case.

For example, I say "We can't buy a red sweater because they are all too big for me." and you say "But this white sweater is not too big." Well but I'm not talking about white sweaters. :-D
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Jan 2005
Posts: 83
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

SOS!!! [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2005, 14:42
SOS!!!

Can you check whether my understanding of the sentences is correct? I may understand wrongly and that's the key reason I didn't come up with a best choice. Here we go.....

Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone called "juvenile hormone" that maintains feeding behavior.

--->This is not a problem.

Only when a caterpillar has grown to the right size for pupation to take place does a special enzyme halt the production of juvenile hormone.

---> How did you interpret this sentece? Is it saying "when a caterpillar becomes the pupation, people spread the enzyme which stops the production of juvenile hormone? I'm not clear the point here...

This enzyme can be synthesized and will, on being ingested by immature caterpillars, kill them by stopping them from feeding.

---> How did you interpret this sentence? Is it meaning the similar thing as to previous setence saying that "the enzyme kills the production of juvenile hormone.

Can you advise your ideas? Thank you.
_________________

Best regards,

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 2255
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2005, 20:07
It basically says when catapillars grow up to a certain size, its body will generate certain enzyme that make it stop feeding itself before it makes the little house for itself (then it will become a butterfly). So if we can make the same enzyme and spread it to a young catapillar then it will stop feeding itself, but it's not ready to become a butterfly yet. Instead it will die.

Question asks why it is not good to use this method to kill the agriculture pest that go through the catapillar phases. Well I believe that is because other good insects may also be killed by this method, which is not good.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5097
Location: Singapore
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2005, 22:02
HongHu wrote:
It basically says when catapillars grow up to a certain size, its body will generate certain enzyme that make it stop feeding itself before it makes the little house for itself (then it will become a butterfly). So if we can make the same enzyme and spread it to a young catapillar then it will stop feeding itself, but it's not ready to become a butterfly yet. Instead it will die.

Question asks why it is not good to use this method to kill the agriculture pest that go through the catapillar phases. Well I believe that is because other good insects may also be killed by this method, which is not good.


Honghu/Gmatclub members, just like to check something about choice B and C.

B: Many agricultural pests do not go through a caterpillar stage.
C: Many agriculturally beneficial insects go through a caterpillar stage.

The passage asked why it's not a good idea to "eradicate agricultural pests" (taken striaght off the passage).

Now, in B, since many agricultural pest do not go through a caterpillar stage, then surly it's not a good idea to spray the enzymes since it's not going to save your crops.

However, C is good too. If many agriculturally beneficial insects go through a caterpillar stage, then you would be killing them by spraying the enzymes.

So given two good answers, how do you pick C? (or B, as in my case)
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 2255
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2005, 22:42
GMAT will never give you two correct answers for CR questions.

Here's my reason why I chose C.

HongHu wrote:
Almost chosen B, but on a closer look at the question, it says why it is not advisable to use the enzyme to kill agricultural pests that go through a caterpillar stage.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5097
Location: Singapore
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2005, 23:17
HongHu wrote:
GMAT will never give you two correct answers for CR questions.

Here's my reason why I chose C.

HongHu wrote:
Almost chosen B, but on a closer look at the question, it says why it is not advisable to use the enzyme to kill agricultural pests that go through a caterpillar stage.


I think the key word here is 'advisable'. If i changed it to 'why it is not useful to use the enzyme to kill agricultural pests', then B would be the answer.

Is that right ? :-D
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 2255
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 10:42
ywilfred wrote:
I think the key word here is 'advisable'. If i changed it to 'why it is not useful to use the enzyme to kill agricultural pests', then B would be the answer.

Is that right ? :-D


No. B is wrong because it is totally out of scope. The question asks about pests that go through the catapillar phase. B talks about pests that don't go through the catapillar phase.

An example:
If I pour the dirty water on this bucket out we'll have a cleaner bucket.
Correct objection: But you'll also pour out the baby in the bucket!
Incorrect objection: But you still have a nonclean bathtub!
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 2255
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 10:48
Another example:

Why is it not a good method to get rid of terrorists in Iraq by dropping a nuclear bomb?
Correct answer: because you are going to kill all the innocent people in Iraq too.
Incorrect answer: because you are not going to be able to kill the terrorists in Korea.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 95
Location: Irvine, CA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 11:04
I was going for B, but after reading honghu's explanation 3 or 4 times, she got me convinced..
so I will also pick C.

does anyone know what is the OA?
_________________

discipline is what I need.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Jan 2005
Posts: 83
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 15:49
Hello HongHu,
Thanks very much for your kind explanations below. I now fully understand what the sentences are meaning and question asking. It was bit difficult for me to grasp the meaning of sentences of this question... Thank you.


HongHu wrote:
It basically says when catapillars grow up to a certain size, its body will generate certain enzyme that make it stop feeding itself before it makes the little house for itself (then it will become a butterfly). So if we can make the same enzyme and spread it to a young catapillar then it will stop feeding itself, but it's not ready to become a butterfly yet. Instead it will die.

Question asks why it is not good to use this method to kill the agriculture pest that go through the catapillar phases. Well I believe that is because other good insects may also be killed by this method, which is not good.

_________________

Best regards,

  [#permalink] 29 Mar 2005, 15:49
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Millions of identical copies of a plant can be produced marcodonzelli 3 16 Feb 2008, 06:06
Experts publish their posts in the topic Machines X and Y produced identical bottles at different sonibubu 8 28 Jan 2008, 12:38
1 Machines X and Y produced identical bottles at different GGUY 5 17 Jan 2008, 06:39
Machines X and Y produced identical bottles at different Hermione 8 23 Oct 2006, 00:21
Machines X and Y produced identical bottles at different joemama142000 4 24 Nov 2005, 21:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Caterpillars of all species produce an identical hormone

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 41 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.