Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 18:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CBS vs. Booth

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.76
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

CBS vs. Booth [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 19:00
Hi folks, I am waiting for the final decisions from CBS/Wharton and also just starting my R2 apps for Stanford. I'm seriously debating whether I should also apply to Booth given all the chatter I have heard about CBS vs. Booth MBA experience/value. This even came up during my CBS interview!

Has anyone tried to force rank CBS and Booth without caring too much about published rankings? USNews, FT, WSJ, etc are all over the map and the rankings are so opaque. I work in investment management and will remain in this field. To me, it made more sense to go to school in NY and take classes from CBS' Value Investing program. Talking to Booth alums, however, made me ponder if I should be more openminded about learning and go to a school like Booth where I can take wider range/number of electives. One Booth alum, who is also from NY, said that CBS feels like a commuter school. Obviously CBS alums would disagree with that view.

Anyone care to share their opinions on this? Should I post this question on another board? Thanks!
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: CBS vs. Booth [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 20:07
Moved to the appropriate forum..

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q41 V46
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 56

Re: CBS vs. Booth [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2011, 20:32
This post received
KUDOS
My opinion: Visit the school. Seriously. I can't understate how important that is. Booth has a good day-visit program. And you should do the same for Stanford (if you haven't already). I could write pages about my thoughts on this, but they wouldn't hold a candle to what the epiphany you get when you're on campus.

I know it's not easy to find the time to do it, and I'm well aware I'm talking about a plane ticket and a hotel stay. Having said that, I've lost count of how many people I've met that said that they were for school X over Y until they visited school Y. Don't just rely on alums. Talk to current students and breathe in the campus.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.76
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: CBS vs. Booth [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 17:59
Thank you for the response! I am still indecisive so I will submit my R2 application and visit both Stanford/Booth when I am in the US in February. Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia (accepted), Sloan (waitlisted), Yale (R2, interview), Booth (R2, interview), Kellogg (R2)
WE 1: 2 years public accounting/consulting
WE 2: 2 years nonprofit
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: CBS vs. Booth [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 12:32
CBS is NOT a commuter school. I'm a current student and we have a harder time of maintaining relationships with friends outside of the program because we spend so much time together. The community here is amazing. If you really want to stay in investment management, I don't think there's a better choice for you than CBS' value investing program.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.74
WE: Accounting (Investment Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 28

Re: CBS vs. Booth [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 19:25
TheBot wrote:
CBS is NOT a commuter school. I'm a current student and we have a harder time of maintaining relationships with friends outside of the program because we spend so much time together. The community here is amazing. If you really want to stay in investment management, I don't think there's a better choice for you than CBS' value investing program.

Also a current student at CBS, definitely not a commuter school. Not even close. While I did not visit Booth nor considered it during my applications, the classmates that I have talked to that have visited both schools have told me that the atmospheres at the schools are very different, enough that it will be tough to like both equally. I def suggest visiting all schools you are considering. If you get admitted and are still undecided, go to the admitted student events which will give you a better feel for what your potential classmates will be like.
Re: CBS vs. Booth   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2013, 19:25