Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 12:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CBS vs. Booth for consulting

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

CBS vs. Booth for consulting [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 02:39
I am an international student that need to decide soon between CBS and BOOTH. I would like to hear your opinion about several aspects.

1. Consulting - I am really interesting in consulting (Mckinsey/BCG/Bain...). Which of the two will give me the best education for consulting? Which is better to find internship / job in consulting? As much as I can tell the schools are the same in that aspect. Any thoughts about this?

2. Tech - I am coming from a tech background and considering career in Tech in case I will not like Consulting (during my internship). Which school is better for finding a job in a big Tech company?

3. Entrepreneurship - I don't want to be entrepreneur right after school but I do want to learn about it for later in my career. Which school is better for that?

4. Other career options - I am not sure what I want do after school and I want to learn while in school about different career options that may interest me. Which school is better for that?

5. Ranking - Booth seem to be go up in ranking and CBS seem to go down. Should it be a consideration for me? What should I learn from that?

6. Cost - I guess NY is more expensive. Can anyone estimate by how much the cost for 2 years will be higher at CBS in %?

7. Type of people and atmospher - I read in many places in the forum that the students in Chicago and CBS are very different and that the atmosphere is different. I know that the best way to see what is better for you is to visit the schools. Yet, Can anyone tell more about the type of people in each school and the differences in atmosphere?

8. Social life - I am single and want to have fun in theses 2 years. On one hand NY seem to have more options and better options to hang out. On the other hand Booth seem to have more social community. Any thoughts about that?

9. Campus and organization - Booth seem to have much better campus and from my experience the school seem to be much more organized. I am not sure how significant is that? Is it going to have significant effect on what I can get from MBA?

10. Year internship - I hear some people do internship during the semester to see more career options. I guess CBS has the edge year because its location. How common is this? Is this recommended? How significant is this?

11. Weather - How colder is the weather in Chicago compared to NY? Is it noticable?

Are there any other aspects I should consider?
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 627

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: CBS vs. Booth for consulting [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 15:22
I'll do my best to help since I applied to both schools and was invited to interview at both:

1. Consulting - Both schools are equal here.

2. Tech - I'm not sure, honestly, but I expect both are equally strong as well.

3. Entrepreneurship - I've heard fantastic things about entrepreneurship resources at Booth, but I haven't heard the same about CBS. Check out http://www.mbaover30.com if you're interested in the impressions of a student who got into Booth and is interested in entrepreneurship.

4. Other options - Both schools will open many doors for you. Personally, I didn't like how flexible the Booth curriculum was. In fact, you can look at it both ways: the flexible curriculum allows you to try different things, but, on the other hand, if you're unsure what you want, you could end up wanting to take a little of everything and ending up with no deep skillset.

5. Ranking - While Booth has been on a great run recently, I don't see it as an objectively better or well-renowned school than CBS - they are both in the fabled "M7" after all. Since you mentioned you're an international student, I'd also suggest you think about which school is more well-respected in your country (assuming you want to go back).

6. Cost - I have lived in neither NYC nor Chicago, so take this with a grain of salt, but Chicago would be much cheaper. Businessweek has the costs pegged at $120K (CBS) and $110K (Booth). For what it's worth, the Booth student budget for housing is $14K and the CBS budget is $21K.

7. Culture - I didn't get a chance to do full visits at either school, so I'll pass on this one.

8. Social life - Again, I haven't lived in Chicago or NYC, but I wouldn't want to live in NYC (that's just me). I'd say NYC has more going on, but Chicago is the 3rd most populous city in the country, so it's no slouch either.

9. Campus - The Booth campus is much nicer than the CBS campus, but that shouldn't be a determining factor for you.

10. Year internship - I don't know about this, but again, Chicago is a huge city, too. Many opportunities will also be available at Booth (that is, unless you want a niche finance job that only exists in NYC).

11. Weather - I believe the weather is milder in NYC, but probably not by much. For perspective, I live in the Boston area (it's generally colder here than NYC) and I've had several Chicago-born friends tell me Chicago weather is pretty similar to Boston weather, albeit slightly windier.

Sorry I couldn't answer all your questions. I hope that helps!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q V
GPA: 2.99
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 57 [1] , given: 42

Re: CBS vs. Booth for consulting [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 07:28
This post received
KUDOS
estel wrote:
I am an international student that need to decide soon between CBS and BOOTH. I would like to hear your opinion about several aspects.

1. Consulting - I am really interesting in consulting (Mckinsey/BCG/Bain...). Which of the two will give me the best education for consulting? Which is better to find internship / job in consulting? As much as I can tell the schools are the same in that aspect. Any thoughts about this?

2. Tech - I am coming from a tech background and considering career in Tech in case I will not like Consulting (during my internship). Which school is better for finding a job in a big Tech company?

3. Entrepreneurship - I don't want to be entrepreneur right after school but I do want to learn about it for later in my career. Which school is better for that?

4. Other career options - I am not sure what I want do after school and I want to learn while in school about different career options that may interest me. Which school is better for that?

5. Ranking - Booth seem to be go up in ranking and CBS seem to go down. Should it be a consideration for me? What should I learn from that?

6. Cost - I guess NY is more expensive. Can anyone estimate by how much the cost for 2 years will be higher at CBS in %?

7. Type of people and atmospher - I read in many places in the forum that the students in Chicago and CBS are very different and that the atmosphere is different. I know that the best way to see what is better for you is to visit the schools. Yet, Can anyone tell more about the type of people in each school and the differences in atmosphere?

8. Social life - I am single and want to have fun in theses 2 years. On one hand NY seem to have more options and better options to hang out. On the other hand Booth seem to have more social community. Any thoughts about that?

9. Campus and organization - Booth seem to have much better campus and from my experience the school seem to be much more organized. I am not sure how significant is that? Is it going to have significant effect on what I can get from MBA?

10. Year internship - I hear some people do internship during the semester to see more career options. I guess CBS has the edge year because its location. How common is this? Is this recommended? How significant is this?

11. Weather - How colder is the weather in Chicago compared to NY? Is it noticable?

Are there any other aspects I should consider?

I am not at all familiar with Booth, so can't comment there. I plan on attending CBS so thought I could provide some CBS input.

Entrepreneurship: I hadn't heard much about entrepreneurship at CBS until Columbia Connect a couple of wknds ago. They spent a significant chunk of time presenting "E-cademy" awards to current and past students who have started successful ventures. The whole thing was basically a way to show admitted students the entrepreneurship program at CBS and discuss some of the opportunities. I was actually pretty impressed and it seems like there are definitely some great resources for students. You can read more here: http://www8.gsb.columbia.edu/entrepreneurship/home.

Cost: I live in NYC now, yes, NYC is ridiculously expensive. You will spend a lot of money on everything from rent to going to the grocery store.

Type of People/Community: I actually was a bit nervous about this with CBS based on things I'd read online. I also visited the school for a 9am class and was out by 11 or so so I really didn't get a feel for the vibe of the students. Since getting into CBS in Feb I've spent a lot of time w CBS people through weekly happy hours and Columbia Connect. Everyone I've met has been really friendly and seems keen to build relationships and excited about school. People (who probs have no firsthand experience with the school) say CBS is a commuter school and a lot of students already have friends in the city, but most current students I've spoken to who are from NYC say that their old friends are so mad at them because they never hang out with them since they are always doing things with CBS people. I see it myself already when I skip happy hours with my friends on Thursdays to go to CBS happy hours. I also think Columbia is aware of some of the stereotypes about its culture and is making a real effort to bring in students who want to be an active and engaged in the community. If it is not possible for you to visit both schools/ attend admitted student events in your area, then I would reach out to some current students at the school. I honestly think that a lot of people just take what they read online as fact and reputations get reinforced by people writing things online about schools when they have no firsthand experience. The only people who truly know about the culture and environment are current students.

Social Life: I imagine since both Booth and CBS are larger programs, you'll have some students who are really into the social scene and some who aren't. Since most of the people I've met have been people I've met at CBS Happy Hours and events the impression I get is that the students are very social. Sounds like there are always various social events going on related to school especially from Thurs-Sat. Thursday is a big night for CBS since the school doesn't have class on Fridays.

Campus: Yes, Uris Hall is really bad. I've heard Booth has great facilities. Like King Falcon said, I probably wouldn't make this a determining factor, though I do think it would be nice to spend most of the next two years in a nice building vs a cramped one. Columbia's campus is really nice though, so at least it has that going for it. But it kills me that the new building won't come online until after I've graduated. I'm not sure what you mean about organization.

Internship: This was a big draw to CBS for me. Not just formal part time internships which I hear a fair amount of students do, but also the wealth of opportunities for small business consulting in the NY area. There are SO many non profits and small businesses in the area and it seems like there are a lot of ways for students to get involved in the community and fields they are interested in. For example, I am interested in working for a food company. I spoke w the Harlem Small Business Development Consulting Club and they said there is so much demand for help from CBS that next year they are starting a whole new program just for food companies. Awesome!

Weather: I wouldn't make this a factor either. It's not like you're choosing between southern california and chicago, NYC is not going to be that much different. You'll still be bundled up!

Hope that is somewhat helpful, sorry I can't help provide any comparisons between CBS and Booth!
Re: CBS vs. Booth for consulting   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2013, 07:28