Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 05:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CBS vs Fuqua ($)

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Fuqua ($) or CBS?

  • 28% [20]
  • 71% [50]
Author Message
TAGS:
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2013
Posts: 25
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: CBS vs Fuqua ($) [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 13:35
asimov wrote:
Given that your consideration set boils down to four factors.

If you prioritize 1) stronger classmate community, and 2) smaller debt (cost of living + tuition), then Fuqua is the better choice.

If you prioritize 1) closer to family and GF, and 2) post-MBA exit in Northeast, then CBS is the better choice.


stronger community at Duke? Says who? I don't know anything about Duke but CBS has an exceptionally passionate, helpful community compared to the 2 schools I have visited: MIT, Wharton.

Also my wife is currently studying at UNC Chapel Hill, it's not Duke but it's in the same area. We rotate weekends to fly to see each other, our conclusion is that you absolutely do NOT want to trade NYC for Durham/Raleigh for 2 years!!! You won't know what you'll miss!
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 01 Jul 2013
Posts: 197
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: CBS vs Fuqua ($) [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2014, 17:43
Expert's post
zurichs wrote:
asimov wrote:
Given that your consideration set boils down to four factors.

If you prioritize 1) stronger classmate community, and 2) smaller debt (cost of living + tuition), then Fuqua is the better choice.

If you prioritize 1) closer to family and GF, and 2) post-MBA exit in Northeast, then CBS is the better choice.


stronger community at Duke? Says who? I don't know anything about Duke but CBS has an exceptionally passionate, helpful community compared to the 2 schools I have visited: MIT, Wharton.

Also my wife is currently studying at UNC Chapel Hill, it's not Duke but it's in the same area. We rotate weekends to fly to see each other, our conclusion is that you absolutely do NOT want to trade NYC for Durham/Raleigh for 2 years!!! You won't know what you'll miss!


Zurichs -- I'd suggest you take a market research class while in b-school:-) Sweeping conclusions on limited sample sets will get you nowhere! Said the person who picked Duke and lives in Chapel Hill -- two things I wouldn't trade the world for.
_________________


Brian Lange | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | North Carolina


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile


Last edited by brianlange77 on 15 Mar 2014, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2013
Posts: 17
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 12-20-2012
WE: Marketing (Transportation)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: CBS vs Fuqua ($) [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2014, 17:52
Hey Brian, you are pretty biased. You went to Duke and live in Chapel Hill, so of course you are going to favor Duke. Have you actually went to Columbia? If not, how can you say that Duke offers a stronger community?? At least my wife and I have been commuting for 2 years. One thing we find out is that lots of people in Raleigh are very 'local', they'd stay there and not wanting to pursue a life in big cities. They settle in Raleigh. It's very difficult to get out of there when you graduated. On the other hand, Columbia has a much diversified student body and you will find alums all over the world.

To OP, I do agree that you'll have a small debt if you go Duke, CBS just posted their 2014 tuition and it's $96k including living expense. I'm having a tough time to collect this amount. But to say that CBS only matters in Northeast is completely false. Actually, it is UNC (again, I don't know anything about Duke) graduates tend to stay in the south.

Brian, I guess you failed your marketing research class pretty bad because you not only used yourself as one example, you also never experienced Columbia and New York, I guess your information is all from reading the internet, enjoy your life in Raleigh.

brianlange77 wrote:
zurichs wrote:
asimov wrote:
Given that your consideration set boils down to four factors.

If you prioritize 1) stronger classmate community, and 2) smaller debt (cost of living + tuition), then Fuqua is the better choice.

If you prioritize 1) closer to family and GF, and 2) post-MBA exit in Northeast, then CBS is the better choice.


stronger community at Duke? Says who? I don't know anything about Duke but CBS has an exceptionally passionate, helpful community compared to the 2 schools I have visited: MIT, Wharton.

Also my wife is currently studying at UNC Chapel Hill, it's not Duke but it's in the same area. We rotate weekends to fly to see each other, our conclusion is that you absolutely do NOT want to trade NYC for Durham/Raleigh for 2 years!!! You won't know what you'll miss!


Zurichs -- I'd suggest you take a market research class while in b-school. Sweeping conclusions on limited sample sets will get you nowhere! Said the person who picked Duke and lives in Chapel Hill -- two things I wouldn't trade the world for.
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 01 Jul 2013
Posts: 197
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: CBS vs Fuqua ($) [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2014, 18:09
Expert's post
qshdz wrote:
Hey Brian, you are pretty biased. You went to Duke and live in Chapel Hill, so of course you are going to favor Duke. Have you actually went to Columbia? If not, how can you say that Duke offers a stronger community?? At least my wife and I have been commuting for 2 years. One thing we find out is that lots of people in Raleigh are very 'local', they'd stay there and not wanting to pursue a life in big cities. They settle in Raleigh. It's very difficult to get out of there when you graduated. On the other hand, Columbia has a much diversified student body and you will find alums all over the world.

To OP, I do agree that you'll have a small debt if you go Duke, CBS just posted their 2014 tuition and it's $96k including living expense. I'm having a tough time to collect this amount. But to say that CBS only matters in Northeast is completely false. Actually, it is UNC (again, I don't know anything about Duke) graduates tend to stay in the south.

Brian, I guess you failed your marketing research class pretty bad because you not only used yourself as one example, you also never experienced Columbia and New York, I guess your information is all from reading the internet, enjoy your life in Raleigh.


Wow fella. Angry much?

A few points:

1. If you'll go back through this thread, you'll notice that NOT ONCE do I ever suggest to the OP that he/she should blindly pick Fuqua just because I went there or because I now have chosen to live in Chapel Hill.
2. When did I suggest that Fuqua has a better community?
3. When did I say anything about Raleigh? I would estimate I go to Raleigh perhaps 3-6 times per year.
4. You're guilty of a value judgment that there is no life outside of 'big cities.' Is this a proven fact?
5. You make sweeping statements about a school that you later admit ("I don't know anything about")
6. I never used myself as an example to influence/suggest any decisions for the OP.
7. I grew up 45 minutes outside of Manhattan and worked in Manhattan for 3+ years after undergrad.

I could go on -- but c'mon now. Let's not make it personal here -- and a at a minimum, let's actually read what other people have written and not make sweeping generalizations just because you are in the mood to do so.

-Brian
_________________


Brian Lange | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | North Carolina


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2013
Posts: 17
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 12-20-2012
WE: Marketing (Transportation)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: CBS vs Fuqua ($) [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2014, 18:18
brianlange77 wrote:

Wow fella. Angry much?

A few points:

1. If you'll go back through this thread, you'll notice that NOT ONCE do I ever suggest to the OP that he/she should blindly pick Fuqua just because I went there or because I now have chosen to live in Chapel Hill.
2. When did I suggest that Fuqua has a better community?
3. When did I say anything about Raleigh? I would estimate I go to Raleigh perhaps 3-6 times per year.
4. You're guilty of a value judgment that there is no life outside of 'big cities.' Is this a proven fact?
5. You make sweeping statements about a school that you later admit ("I don't know anything about")
6. I never used myself as an example to influence/suggest any decisions for the OP.
7. I grew up 45 minutes outside of Manhattan and worked in Manhattan for 3+ years after undergrad.

I could go on -- but c'mon now. Let's not make it personal here -- and a at a minimum, let's actually read what other people have written and not make sweeping generalizations just because you are in the mood to do so.

-Brian


Hey dude, never personally attack someone and act all surprised when they come back and challenge you.

You started with nothing constructive, nor with any details, but to suggest me to take a marketing research class, is this the way you make contribution to the thread? Did I insult you in anyway? Besides, aren't we all drawing from our experiences as anecdotes? So you start to attack people personally when they don't agree with you?

I shared my background and experience and draw recommendations, you didn't share anything. Well you actually did share your background in this post. So why didn't you start with this post instead of attacking me?

To OP, looks like you chose CBS, congrats man. One thing I can say for sure is long-distance is very difficult, glad you can stay close to your family.

Last edited by qshdz on 15 Mar 2014, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 01 Jul 2013
Posts: 197
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: CBS vs Fuqua ($) [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2014, 18:44
Expert's post
Apologies if my #Sarcasm didn't come through here. It's usually drippingly obvious.
_________________


Brian Lange | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | North Carolina


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Re: CBS vs Fuqua ($)   [#permalink] 15 Mar 2014, 18:44
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 CBS vs. Booth for consulting estel 2 22 Apr 2013, 02:39
CBS vs IESE straybird 0 30 Jan 2012, 10:16
1 CBS vs. Booth rmoulik 5 06 Dec 2011, 19:00
1 Fuqua vs. Darden clubgmat25 9 05 Aug 2008, 09:39
Stern vs Fuqua gidimba 12 20 Mar 2007, 09:46
Display posts from previous: Sort by

CBS vs Fuqua ($)

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.