Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Dec 2014, 07:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CEIBS 2011 Full-Time MBA Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: CEIBS
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 13

Re: CEIBS 2011 Full-Time MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 May 2011, 05:42
Dinged r3 after an r2 WL. Too bad in some ways and good in others. Kind of surprised me and my rec's. Have to see what they say in the feedback session.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: CEIBS 2011 Full-Time MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 02:48
Sorry to hear that.
Intern
Intern

Re: CEIBS 2011 Full-Time MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 08:52
ceibsMBA wrote:
apinyap wrote:
Dear Mbafin, congratuation on ur admission and thank you for sharing with us about the Linkedin CEIBS group. i will definitely take a look at that. As for Nayoowin, i stayed at Citadine Biyun when i visited the CEIBS campus for the interview (since i want to hv a closer look at the campus). I luv the hotel though i must say it is a bit too expensive, given it is a serviced apartment. Last time i checked, it is around 15000RMB per month for the one bedroom apartment, which is very high compare to on-campus 3000RMB/ mth for single room, dormitory 3. However, i am not sure if the studio room is available for monthly rental? I stayed in the studio room last time i visited the campus, and i just love the room! i think 7000-8000RMB per month would be fine. Maybe i should contact the sales manager directly to ask more about the studio monthly rental as the CEIBs information booklet only provide price list for the 1,2, and 3 bedroom apartment at Citadine Biyun. Thank you very much for your suggestion Nayoowin :) really appreciate it.[/q

Hi guys,

Just graduated from CEIBS and came across this page on google by chance while looking for something else. I did not want to get into the discussion about why ceibs and blah blah as it is personal decision and my views may be biased. It was interesting to see all the concerns and I like the brain-storming here.

Instead I thought of replying to the above post as I had similar situation before coming here and was surprised to see many more options. Do not go blidly about the list school might have sent to you about accommodation. There are better options available within 15 minutes "walk" and might cost RMB 3200 (for 1 bedroom apartment) to RMB 10,000 (3 bedroom apartment) for a month. So you do have a lot of choice. No, I am a foreigner so I am not writing to rent out any apartment (though I wish I had one of own in Shanghai).

My advise is to just make arrangement for initial few days (or at most for the pre-course time) and that will give you enough idea and time to look for alternate if you do not like. For those on budget you can even consider Motel 168 (about 10 minutes by bicycle or 5 minutes by cab) and I think they have option from RMB 150/day onwards. Make sure you ask for discount if you are looking for longer stay, say more than 7 days.

Not sure if I can visit this site often as I am working now but will try to reply if anyone has a questiont hat I can help with.

Congratulations to those already in and good luck to those interviewing.

Hi ceibsMBA,

Any apartment complexes near campus that you recommend? How do you go about finding one? do you visit the agents nearby?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Re: CEIBS 2011 Full-Time MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 09:01
mbafin wrote:
Hi Jdub,

Nope, I'm not from Southern Cali (not even from the states actually... but Finland) but I've been living in Shanghai for the past 8 months, trying to get to grips with Mandarin, and I have visited the campus a couple of times.

Yes, the campus is pretty far from the city center. It's actually pretty far from any metro stations as well which really doesn't help with the commute from/to the city center (closest metro station is 3km away and that station is not on one of the lines which go straight to the center). If you were to live in the center (i.e. west side of the river), you would probably want to be close to the green metro line on which you could travel directly to a metro station called "century avenue" (east side of river) and from there take a cab to the school which takes about 15 minutes and costs 25-30 RMB (that is without traffic). Depending how far west you are on that green line, the whole trip could take you between 30 to 45 minutes... and the morning rush hour can make it quite uncomfortable!

I think the best solution, if you want to be fairly close to the center, is to look at flats around metro stations such as "science and technology museum", "century park" or even "century avenue". These are all on the green metro line on the east side of the river (so you can easily go to the center) and about 15 minutes away from the school by cab... I've been looking at a few flats around those areas and you would be looking at about 5000-6000RMB/month for a 1 bedroom flat. And if you don't feel like taking a cab everyday, then you can always invest in either a bike (maybe 200-500RMB) or even an electric scooter, some of which go for less than 2000RMB.

Have a look at google maps. It'll show you all the metro lines and you'll get a better idea of the places I mentioned above.

Well explained! :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CEIBS 2011 Full-Time MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 14:18
Hi aspiringmbacandidate,

Finding an apartment near campus is a piece of cake as this whole area is full of them. There a are a lot of property agents around..almost one in each block:)
But then the best way is to talk to the MBA guys who are still in school as more often than not you might find one which one is being vacated by someone.
If you catch an agent also he/she will show you plenty of apartments in 1 day only to choose from. They typically charge 35% of one month's rent as their fee. But I would recommend that you spend at least a week before finalizing one to get the feel of the place so you are better prepared to choose one based on distance from school and your preferences.
Depending on your budget you can look in Jinqiao Mansion (around 3200 for 1 bedroom apt) or Orient Green (5000-6000 for 2 rooms apta or 7000-8000 for 3 rooms apt etc). But there are many more choices around here so you do not have to worry.
I was about to make this mistake by booking a hotel (Citadines) for a month but then luckily I didn't. If you have good budget (as couple in our batch had) they even negotiated with Citadines (which is about 3 minutes walk) to rent for long term and paid about 6000 a month for 1 bedroom studio service apartment.

Feel free to ask any more question that you may have.
Intern
Intern

Re: CEIBS 2011 Full-Time MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 00:34
Thank you so much for the info ceibsmba

Intern
Intern

Re: CEIBS 2011 Full-Time MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 21:17
Based on what I found from this forum here are the people who have been admitted: mbatogo, pacific2atlantic, cristinaaramayo, apinyap, nayoowin, jdub1981, mbafin. Did I miss anyone? Other than mbatogo, have any of you wired in the deposit and confirm your acceptance? and if I may ask what interest you the most about CEIBS?

Re: CEIBS 2011 Full-Time MBA Applicants   [#permalink] 23 May 2011, 21:17