Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:43 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Re: CEIBS vs. Tsinghua IMBA [#permalink]
@ayyada
Thanks for your response. We have probably read the same boards and sources from which you've gathered your info.
I think for one of China's flagship universities, the government won't let Tsinghua decline because of lack of funding. I am sure that the professors and staff are highly capable, and my confidence is reflected by the partnership of MIT, as well as the access to the Harvard and Stanford alumni networks. As for your concern about domestic vs. international recruitment, I have read the same problem on other forums, but the posts are dated to 5 years ago. That is a long time considering the business school's age, and it is continuing to improve very dramatically. There is an MBA program that caters to Chinese people, but I have seen the stats showing that international recruitment is fairly high, as mariner19 pointed out.

From my reading of several forums, I have pieced together a picture of the schools and where they stand in terms of branding and public perception (of course, it is merely my humble opinion):
Beida and Tsinghua are like Oxford and Cambridge, which are very old and prestigious universities with a long history of excellence in many areas, but young and above average b-schools.
CEIBS is a specialized business school like London Business School, which is an amazing b-school, but not as well known to the layman.

I don't think that Tsinghua SEM is going to get worse, and it can only continue to improve. I believe the brand will continue to grow until it matches its main Tsinghua reputation.

@mariner19
re: FT rankings - I have also considered this. I know Beida is ranked at 54, but I have also read that Tsinghua has a better IMBA program (heavily influenced by MIT), so I can't imagine it being ranked too poorly if it elected to join the ranking. I have seen that sino-manager ranking, but the one I saw was from 2008, which is 5 years ago. A lot of the easily accessible research on these schools seem to peak in that year. Is your sino-manager ranking more recent? Either way, Tsinghua is not going anywhere except up. As one of the top universities of China, I am sure it will have plenty of MNC opportunities as well. I watched the IMBA coordinator give an interview last year speaking of plans to support and cultivate more students for international businesses. This is where I think a smaller class is advantageous, as more resources can be concentrated on giving students the support they need to succeed. The alumni network won't suffer much either, because there will be access to other departments (law, politics, medicine, engineering, etc) as well as MIT, Harvard, and Stanford.

I am fairly sure that I will be attending Tsinghua as well, so I am looking forward to meeting you and becoming great friends. It's good to know a fellow American in a foreign country :D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
It really depends on what you look for post-MBA. Tsinghua and Guanghua are in Beijing, while CEIBS is in Shanghai. If you understand China, then you will understand the different industry/business environment in the two cities (similar to the East-West coast divide). The job opportunities available to the MBAs at these schools are largely a result of that difference.

Another point you need to consider is your language abilities in reading, writing, and speaking. Both Chinese and MNC prefer candidates who are fluent in both English and Chinese. In fact, not knowing Chinese will eliminate you from most jobs in China.

As far as school goes, I feel that CEIBS is better than Tsinghua. There are many reasons, but the most important one is that the professors have more academic freedom. I have listened to lectures where the professors outright criticize the government policy, and back it up with solid rationales. I do not believe that would happen in a state run institution.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi guys,
I had couple lengthy discussions with my friends who graduated from Ross(U of Michigan) and CEIBS last night, and I finally decided to accept the Tsinghua offer. You guys were right about diversity this year, the IMBA class size is reduced from 120 to 70, while retaining same number of spots for foreigners (~35).
From what I understand the main difference between CEIBS and Tsinghua is the goal of the students. CEIBS is more like traditional MBA schools, where they prepare you for a high paying job like consulting and finance. Tsinghua on the other hand is not as strong in terms of MNC company recruiting. The students went there are more local people who wants the brand of a prestige school.
I think you guys are going to love the life in Beijing. I just came back from US last year, and already consider to spent next couple years here. :)
Hope to meet you two in class!

Polarbear wrote:
@ayyada
Thanks for your response. We have probably read the same boards and sources from which you've gathered your info.
I think for one of China's flagship universities, the government won't let Tsinghua decline because of lack of funding. I am sure that the professors and staff are highly capable, and my confidence is reflected by the partnership of MIT, as well as the access to the Harvard and Stanford alumni networks. As for your concern about domestic vs. international recruitment, I have read the same problem on other forums, but the posts are dated to 5 years ago. That is a long time considering the business school's age, and it is continuing to improve very dramatically. There is an MBA program that caters to Chinese people, but I have seen the stats showing that international recruitment is fairly high, as mariner19 pointed out.

From my reading of several forums, I have pieced together a picture of the schools and where they stand in terms of branding and public perception (of course, it is merely my humble opinion):
Beida and Tsinghua are like Oxford and Cambridge, which are very old and prestigious universities with a long history of excellence in many areas, but young and above average b-schools.
CEIBS is a specialized business school like London Business School, which is an amazing b-school, but not as well known to the layman.

I don't think that Tsinghua SEM is going to get worse, and it can only continue to improve. I believe the brand will continue to grow until it matches its main Tsinghua reputation.

@mariner19
re: FT rankings - I have also considered this. I know Beida is ranked at 54, but I have also read that Tsinghua has a better IMBA program (heavily influenced by MIT), so I can't imagine it being ranked too poorly if it elected to join the ranking. I have seen that sino-manager ranking, but the one I saw was from 2008, which is 5 years ago. A lot of the easily accessible research on these schools seem to peak in that year. Is your sino-manager ranking more recent? Either way, Tsinghua is not going anywhere except up. As one of the top universities of China, I am sure it will have plenty of MNC opportunities as well. I watched the IMBA coordinator give an interview last year speaking of plans to support and cultivate more students for international businesses. This is where I think a smaller class is advantageous, as more resources can be concentrated on giving students the support they need to succeed. The alumni network won't suffer much either, because there will be access to other departments (law, politics, medicine, engineering, etc) as well as MIT, Harvard, and Stanford.

I am fairly sure that I will be attending Tsinghua as well, so I am looking forward to meeting you and becoming great friends. It's good to know a fellow American in a foreign country :D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Maybe a better way to gauge the program is by the calibre of students attending the program and the curriculum - both of which are available for audit by physically visiting the schools and by checking out the profile on the website?

I guess that's better than betting on a future trend - who can accurately predict the future? Any MBA programs can come up tops. Some even say Peking U. MIT has tie-ups with many schools, including Fudan and Nanyang Business School.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Tsinghua and Guanghua are in Beijing, while CEIBS is in Shanghai. If you understand China, then you will understand the different industry/business environment in the two cities.the main difference between CEIBS and Tsinghua is the goal of the students. CEIBS is more like traditional MBA schools, where they prepare you for a high paying job like consulting and finance. Tsinghua on the other hand is not as strong in terms of MNC company recruiting.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have ultimately decided to attend CEIBS.

From my research, I have concluded that it is not only the higher ranked school, but it is higher regarded by businesses, especially the MNCs.

For a school like CEIBS to come into being only 17 years ago and be where it's at today, competing with the likes of Oxford's SBS and Cornell, really impresses me. The trajectory for future success seems much higher.

Tsinghua is still great, but to have only come so far despite being able to rely on its old prestigious brand, is a bit worrisome to me.

The last thing that impressed me most about CEIBS is their ability to reach out and have a pulse on the world. Not only is their marketing ability very strong, but they have people handling public relations. One of their representatives contacted me after seeing my post from the forum and was very informative and helpful. Their proactive style and large budget give me confidence that the CEIBS brand will become far more famous in the next decade, and will one day definitely become a top ten world ranked b-school.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
Polarbear wrote:
One of their representatives contacted me after seeing my post from the forum and was very informative and helpful.
That's a bit scary, that they figured out who you are from only 2 posts and no stat posting. I'm sure you weren't the only ABC to be admitted to CEIBS. Or was it through PM?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
JeremyLin wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
One of their representatives contacted me after seeing my post from the forum and was very informative and helpful.
That's a bit scary, that they figured out who you are from only 2 posts and no stat posting. I'm sure you weren't the only ABC to be admitted to CEIBS. Or was it through PM?

Haha, it wasn't in person or anything. It was through PM :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
As someone who was part of the Tsinghua-MIT IMBA program I can tell you through first hand experience that the overall program leaves a lot to be desired.

Although it is often ranked as one of the best universities in China, and the relationship with MIT Sloan is highly publicized by the school, I was quite surprised at how badly run the IMBA program is.

There are definitely some quality local and international students that you will get to meet in the program, but the number of students that would typically be unqualified for a typical Western MBA is astonishing. A number of students are in their early 20's with little, to no work experience. Also, some students are admitted purely based off family background, despite the fact that they are clearly not capable MBA candidates.

As for the MBA program staff, they do genuinely try to help students, however it is so unorganized and under resourced that they are heavily reliant on students themselves to come up with ideas and put in the effort to run the program. The processes and policies are not consistent, and there is strong favoritism that goes on to particular individuals, depending on their background.

Which brings me to my final point regarding the teaching staff. From time to time you will get some visiting professors from MIT running one day lectures, and there may also be some foreign professors who teach certain courses, however the majority of your courses are taught by local Chinese lecturers. The local Chinese professors are usually quite bad in that they often times have poor English proficiency (at least not enough to be able to teach a core MBA course), have no practical experience or real-world experience whatsoever, and are stuck in the traditional Chinese way of teaching which is so narrow minded and unwilling to consider outside viewpoints.

I know that this may appear to be a bit of a rant about the Tsinghua IMBA program, and is quite negative. I just want to give you all a real representation of the program from the point-of-view of someone who has gone through it. I really do hope that the school and the program office can get their act together, to make it the great program that it could be, however I don't see this coming anytime soon.

Going to Tsinghua will give you a good chance to experience China and understand the challenges, however do not go there expecting to get a professional quality MBA experience and education.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Hey Polarbear,

Any updates on how your time at CEIBS was? Or anyone with any other, more current insights into CEIBS vs Tsinghua?

Any information would be very helpful. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
newbornmuse wrote:
Hey Polarbear,

Any updates on how your time at CEIBS was? Or anyone with any other, more current insights into CEIBS vs Tsinghua?

Any information would be very helpful. Thanks!

The current ranking of Tsinghua is much higher. In addition it is regarded higher by all the citizens, governemnt officials and also organisations.
Tsinghua is also supported by the government as gives the best oportunities, connections and provides activities with the most prosperous organisations.
GMAT Club Bot