Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 04:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Certain instruments used in veterinary surgery can be made

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Instruments [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 09:49
Certain instruments used in veterinary surgery can be made either of stainless steel or of nylon. In a study of such instruments, 10 complete sterilizations of a set of nylon instruments required 3.4 times the amount of energy used to manufacture that set of instruments, whereas 50 complete sterilizations of a set of stainless steel instruments required 2.1 times the amount of energy required to manufacture that set of instruments.

If the statements above are true, each of the following could be true EXCEPT:

(A) The 50 complete sterilizations of nylon instruments used more energy than did the 50 complete sterilizations of the stainless steel instruments.
(B) More energy was required for each complete sterilization of the nylon instruments than was required to manufacture the nylon instruments.
(C) More nylon instruments than stainless steel instruments were sterilized in the study.
(D) More energy was used to produce the stainless steel instruments than was used to produce the nylon instruments.
(E) The total cost of 50 complete sterilizations of the stainless steel instruments was greater than the cost of manufacturing the stainless steel instruments
>>>>>>>>>>>>
A - Could be true, since you don't know the absolute amount of energy required for either nylon or steel (i.e., 3.4 times the amount of energy to manufacture d/n tell you if the amount of energy was 1 unit or 1,000 unites (kwh or whatever)
B - This can not be true. It's likely the only one that makes an impossible statement (if you reduce the 10 to a single instrument, 3.4/10, for each unit of energy used to create the instrument, .34 units are used to sterilize. This is definitely less in any case (note that the problem does not comment on several sterilizations vs. manufacture). But I always to to test others to make sure
C - Could be true. The problem gives a rate/ratio for each type, but does not say if it tested 10, 37, or 400 nylon instruments, etc.
D - There is not comment on the absolute amount of energy used to produce one steel instrument, similar to A, so this could be true.
E - There is no comment on the cost to sterilize, only energy used, so there could be other costs involved (e.g. time, chemicals, etc.)

Answer is B.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Instruments [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 21:24
My answer is B.

My strategy was, since the question says could be true EXCEPT we have the right to eliminate all those choices that don't have enough information from the argument and hence they can either be true or not true.

A - definitely true
B - definitely wrong
C, D, E - could be true.

From the above, answer is B.

Consider kudos for good explanations.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Instruments [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 22:05
x97agarwal wrote:
Certain instruments used in veterinary surgery can be made either of stainless steel or of nylon. In a study of such instruments, 10 complete sterilizations of a set of nylon instruments required 3.4 times the amount of energy used to manufacture that set of instruments, whereas 50 complete sterilizations of a set of stainless steel instruments required 2.1 times the amount of energy required to manufacture that set of instruments.

(A) The 50 complete sterilizations of nylon instruments used more energy than did the 50 complete sterilizations of the stainless steel instruments. Passage doesn't compare about the energy used between Nylon and Stainless Steel sterilization, it talks about the energy used in Sterilization and energy used for manufacturing set of instrument either Nylon or Stainless
(B) More energy was required for each complete sterilization of the nylon instruments than was required to manufacture the nylon instruments. it is mentioned in passage
10 complete sterilizations of a set of nylon instruments = 3.4 times the amount of energy used to manufacture that set of instruments,
so, for each complete sterilizations of a set of nylon instruments = 0.34 times the amount of energy used to manufacture that set of instruments,

(C) More nylon instruments than stainless steel instruments were sterilized in the study. true
(D) More energy was used to produce the stainless steel instruments than was used to produce the nylon instruments. true
(E) The total cost of 50 complete sterilizations of the stainless steel instruments was greater than the cost of manufacturing the stainless steel instruments.passage doesn't talk about the cost

so, possible ans for me is a,b or E.

can some1 please explain if i am wrong.?

kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.

Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 906 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Instruments [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 02:01
321kumarsushant wrote:
x97agarwal wrote:

(A) The 50 complete sterilizations of nylon instruments used more energy than did the 50 complete sterilizations of the stainless steel instruments. Passage doesn't compare about the energy used between Nylon and Stainless Steel sterilization, it talks about the energy used in Sterilization and energy used for manufacturing set of instrument either Nylon or Stainless
(B) More energy was required for each complete sterilization of the nylon instruments than was required to manufacture the nylon instruments. it is mentioned in passage
10 complete sterilizations of a set of nylon instruments = 3.4 times the amount of energy used to manufacture that set of instruments,
so, for each complete sterilizations of a set of nylon instruments = 0.34 times the amount of energy used to manufacture that set of instruments,

(C) More nylon instruments than stainless steel instruments were sterilized in the study. true
(D) More energy was used to produce the stainless steel instruments than was used to produce the nylon instruments. true
(E) The total cost of 50 complete sterilizations of the stainless steel instruments was greater than the cost of manufacturing the stainless steel instruments.passage doesn't talk about the cost

Consider the best case scenario to rule out each option.

A) The 50 complete sterilizations of nylon instruments used more energy than did the 50 complete sterilizations of the stainless steel instruments.
Quantity of energy consumption is not mentioned in the passage, so we can assume any value for the energy to make the statement true.

Energy used 50 complete sterilizations of nylon instruments- 17 Terajoule
Energy used 50 complete sterilizations of SS instruments- 2.4 joule

So far we take a value that doesn't conflict with the information provided in the passage, we are free to choose any number.
Could be true.

E) The total cost of 50 complete sterilizations of the stainless steel instruments was greater than the cost of manufacturing the stainless steel instruments.

Say $x spent on energy used for manufacturing.
$2.1x spent on energy used for 50 sterilizations.

The difference=2.1x-x=1.1x

If the manufacturing cost of SS < 1.1x, this will also hold true.
Could be true.

(B) can't be true. To make it true, we'll have to contradict the information in the passage, something we must not do.

Ans: "B"

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Instruments [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 02:31
fluke wrote:
321kumarsushant wrote:
x97agarwal wrote:

Consider the best case scenario to rule out each option.

A) The 50 complete sterilizations of nylon instruments used more energy than did the 50 complete sterilizations of the stainless steel instruments.
Quantity of energy consumption is not mentioned in the passage, so we can assume any value for the energy to make the statement true.

Energy used 50 complete sterilizations of nylon instruments- 17 Terajoule
Energy used 50 complete sterilizations of SS instruments- 2.4 joule

So far we take a value that doesn't conflict with the information provided in the passage, we are free to choose any number.
Could be true.

E) The total cost of 50 complete sterilizations of the stainless steel instruments was greater than the cost of manufacturing the stainless steel instruments.

Say $x spent on energy used for manufacturing.
$2.1x spent on energy used for 50 sterilizations.

The difference=2.1x-x=1.1x

If the manufacturing cost of SS < 1.1x, this will also hold true.
Could be true.

(B) can't be true. To make it true, we'll have to contradict the information in the passage, something we must not do.

Ans: "B"

i agree with B, its contradicting.
but,
how do we can we answer about something that is unknown to us. the passage does not talk about the Cost at al.
you have given an excellent explanation, but still i am not satisfied.
Even considering A as acceptable in some cases,
still how to Decide between B (contradiction) & D (not stated in passage which can be assumed wrong,).

Math Forum Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Instruments [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 02:51
321kumarsushant wrote:
i agree with B, its contradicting.
but,
how do we can we answer about something that is unknown to us. the passage does not talk about the Cost at al.
you have given an excellent explanation, but still i am not satisfied.
Even considering A as acceptable in some cases,
still how to Decide between B (contradiction) & D (not stated in passage which can be assumed wrong,).

Well this is a retired official LSAT question, and the OA is indeed B. I've put the OE from Kaplan in the main post.

~fluke

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Instruments [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 03:23
700-cr-90220.html

same question was discussed in above mentioned link also but nothing is useful. :(

Intern
Intern

Re: CR: Instruments [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 09:48
the answer is B for sure!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Instruments [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 10:09
Tough one indeed. B makes sense after reading the explanation. ( Contradicts what is said in passage)
Rest of the options are not either mentioned or True.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MGMAT 6 650 (51,31) on 31/8/11
MGMAT 1 670 (48,33) on 04/9/11
MGMAT 2 670 (47,34) on 07/9/11
MGMAT 3 680 (47,35) on 18/9/11
GMAT Prep1 680 ( 50, 31) on 10/11/11

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CR notes
http://gmatclub.com/forum/massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142
http://gmatclub.com/forum/1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-critical-reasoning-collection-106783.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html?hilit=chineseburned

Manager
Manager

Re: CR: Instruments [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 17:27
yes it is B
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Instruments [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2011, 06:56
B finally, nice question, Pretty confusing
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 32

Re: CR: Instruments [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2011, 01:57
Stumped. Could not make anything out of this CR.

Wats the Source?
Math Forum Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Instruments [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2011, 02:05
GMATPASSION wrote:
Stumped. Could not make anything out of this CR.

Wats the Source?

It is mentioned in the tags/OE: "LSAT Prep tests"

~fluke

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE: Marketing (Internet and New Media)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 58

Re: Certain instruments used in veterinary surgery can be made [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2012, 04:26
I saw except but grossly engrossed in the options forgot expect and choose D ..

Good question

“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” – Chinese Proverb

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 13

Re: Certain instruments used in veterinary surgery can be made [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2012, 04:27
B is the answer, this scenario can never happen using the given info and hence, it must be FALSE.

Whatever one does in life is a repetition of what one has done several times in one's life!
If my post was worth it, then i deserve kudos :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 24

Re: Certain instruments used in veterinary surgery can be made [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2012, 04:42
Let's take an example .

Let's assume that energy required to manufacture a nylon instrument is 20 kwh.
10 sterilizations consumed 3.4 x 20 = 74
Each sterilization requires - 74/10 = 7.4 kwh

Let's assume that energy required to manufacture a stainless steel instrument is 0.5 kwh
Therefore the energy required for 50 complete sterilizations is 2.1 times x .5 = about 1 kwh
Energy required for each sterilization is 1/50 = 0.02 kwh

Clearly the cost to manufacture a stainless steel instrument is unrelated to the cost to manufacture a nylon based instrument.

This example indicates that only B can be false. The above example disproves (D)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IT TAKES QUITE A BIT OF TIME AND TO POST DETAILED RESPONSES.
YOUR KUDOS IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q41 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

Re: Certain instruments used in veterinary surgery can be made [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2012, 06:54
This doesn't seem like a question type you would find on the GMAT.. COULD BE TRUE EXCEPT? So it definitely threw me off- I originally started looking for an answer to a MUST BE TRUE EXCEPT question lol. But the answer would be B... D could be true b/c we don't know the amt of energy expended for nylon and stainless steel sets. It COULD be true. But B definitely CANNOT be true.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Certain instruments used in veterinary surgery can be made [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2012, 22:01
P1: Certain Set of Instruments were made from Nylon and Steel
P2: 10 * En = 3.4 * (Em)
50 * Es = 2.1 * (Em)

Where,
En = Energy Required Sterilization of Nylon
Es = Energy Required Sterilization of Steel
Em = Energy required for Manufacturing set of instruments

(A) The 50 complete sterilizations of nylon instruments used more energy than did the 50 complete sterilizations of the stainless steel instruments.

5* (10 * En) = 5*3.4* Em = 17 Em (since Em is always positive)

50 Es = 2.1 Em < 17 Em So We can conclude (A) from above Premises. ( So This is not the Answer)
====================================================================================================
(B) More energy was required for each complete sterilization of the nylon instruments than was required to manufacture the nylon instruments.

We do not know anyting about the values of En and Em So we cannot compare these two values. So this could be the answer
====================================================================================================
(C) More nylon instruments than stainless steel instruments were sterilized in the study.

This is a out scope choice. Nowhere in the Premises, the author talked about the number of nylon / steel instruments. So leave it.
(D) More energy was used to produce the stainless steel instruments than was used to produce the nylon instruments.
This is also an out of scope answer choice.
(E) The total cost of 50 complete sterilizations of the stainless steel instruments was greater than the cost of manufacturing the stainless steel instruments.
This is also an out of scope answer choice.
Author did not talk about the price at all.

So the answer is : Choice B.
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Certain instruments used in veterinary surgery can be made [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2012, 03:27
+1 B

Each sterilization requires 34% the amount of energy required to manufacture a set of nylon instruments.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Intern
Intern
Schools: Rotman, Ivey

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 9

Reviews Badge
Re: Certain instruments used in veterinary surgery can be made [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 04:41
This post was
BOOKMARKED
x97agarwal wrote:

(E) The total cost of 50 complete sterilizations of the stainless steel instruments was greater than the cost of manufacturing the stainless steel instruments.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Kaplan OE

Let me try explaining this ...
Equation 1 says:
10 Sterilizations = 3.4 (Manufacturing of Nylon group)
or 1 Sterilizations = .34 (Manufacturing of Nylon group)
or 1 Sterilizations = 34% (Manufacturing of Nylon group)

Equation 2 says:
50 Sterilizations = 2.1 (Manufacturing of Steel group)
or 1 Sterilizations = 2.1/50 (Manufacturing of Nylon group)
1 Sterilizations = 4% (Manufacturing of Nylon group)

That's all we know. No relationship between the cost of Nylon and Steel group defined. Neither their number is certain.

A) As stated above, we don't know this relation so no comments.
C) As stated above, we don't know this relation so no comments.
D) As stated above, we don't know this relation so no comments.
E) Yes, we know this is true from equation 2. If 50 Sterilizations equals 2.1 times Manu, then 50 S must be bigger than 1 times Manu for sure ..

Correct Answer: B) In case of Nylon, the option suggests 1 S > 100% Manu; however, we know that 1 S just equals 34% manu and cant be bigger than that.

If you like my post, kudos me .. this will be my 1st and I need 25 of them for GC tests access !
Re: Certain instruments used in veterinary surgery can be made   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2012, 04:41