Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 03:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Certain oil companies have been called poor corporate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Certain oil companies have been called poor corporate [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 21:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (01:48) correct 50% (00:58) wrong based on 5 sessions
Certain oil companies have been called poor corporate citizens because they have opposed government action to limit global warming by undermining scientific research that characterizes the issue as severe. However, these same oil companies have also invested millions of dollars in scientific research to address the long term effects of climate change.

Which of the following best explains the apparent discrepancy in the situation described above?

A.) The oil companies only recently began investing in scientific research to address climate change issues.
B.) The research dollars invested by the oil companies are specifically earmarked for developing practical technologies that might be used to combat global warming.
C.) The government action opposed by the oil companies would negatively impact their profits.
D.) The scientific research that characterizes global warming as a severe problem has not been definitively proven.
E.) The oil companies don't believe that any scientific research related to climate change will ultimately serve their interests.

I can't for the life of me figure out how the OA makes any sense - just want to see if anyone else will get it.
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 106

Re: Advanced Question - Global Warming [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 22:30
IMO D

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Re: Advanced Question - Global Warming [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2009, 06:15
A,C and E>>i think are irrelevant.

was stuck b/w B and D....

i go for B...OA plzzz.. :?:
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: Advanced Question - Global Warming [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2009, 06:24
understudy wrote:
Certain oil companies have been called poor corporate citizens because they have opposed government action to limit global warming by undermining scientific research that characterizes the issue as severe. However, these same oil companies have also invested millions of dollars in scientific research to address the long term effects of climate change.

Which of the following best explains the apparent discrepancy in the situation described above?

A.) The oil companies only recently began investing in scientific research to address climate change issues.
B.) The research dollars invested by the oil companies are specifically earmarked for developing practical technologies that might be used to combat global warming.
C.) The government action opposed by the oil companies would negatively impact their profits.
D.) The scientific research that characterizes global warming as a severe problem has not been definitively proven.
E.) The oil companies don't believe that any scientific research related to climate change will ultimately serve their interests.

I can't for the life of me figure out how the OA makes any sense - just want to see if anyone else will get it.

A) MAYBE. The companies might have started investing due to the criticism.
B) MAYBE. In a way if they are doing "just enough" to not make the problem as severe so they can show people that due to their "advancement" the problem is not that severe
C) irrelevant. does not explain the discrepancy
D) prob not. I dont think they are undermining the research of others if they are doing similar research?
E) no. what's the point of them doing research if they dont believe it?

I think B. If the oil companies are "countering" claims made by researches by researching solutions then the overall problem will be less severe. In a way it is like putting simple patches on a sinking boat - it will make it sink much slower and whenever there is another hole it will be patched up but eventually the patches will not hold for long.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Advanced Question - Global Warming [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2009, 06:27
IMO B, OA please??

While D might be tempting, it will not help answer both the contradictory premises. 1) Undermining Government by saying that the global warming is severe 2) spending millions of dollars in research in long term effect of climate change

B will answer both of these discripiencies, since companies still do not change their position from undermining govt, at the same time invest money on further research.
The research dollars invested by the oil companies are specifically earmarked for developing practical technologies that might be used to combat global warming.

D) The scientific research that characterizes global warming as a severe problem has not been definitively proven. - this will give us the reason for the "undermining of govt" but doesnt give a reason for companies to invest.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Advanced Question - Global Warming [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2009, 08:14
B

OA please?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Re: Advanced Question - Global Warming [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2009, 09:12
OA is B. Good job guys.

Still seems that B simply restates what is already said in the paragraph.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE: General Management (Retail)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 358 [1] , given: 13

Re: Advanced Question - Global Warming [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2009, 09:47
This post received
KUDOS
my choice too was B

To begin its easy to boil down to two options B & E. in case of E its says that companies believe that NO scientific research wold be beneficial. this is too extreme poison which does not correspond with argument that they invest in research for long term effects . . else why would they invest. so this option does not work.

now we are left with B and that's the answer. (though justifying B is a bit difficult, process of elimination worked for me)

i love kudos :moped consider giving them if you like my post!!

:arrow: CRITICAL REASONING FOR BEGINNERS: notes & links to help you learn CR better. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/critical-reasoning-for-beginners-82111.html
:arrow: QUANT NOTES FOR PS & DS: notes to help you do better in Quant. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/quant-notes-for-ps-ds-82447.html
:arrow: GMAT Timing Planner: This little tool could help you plan timing strategy. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-cat-timing-planner-82513.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: Advanced Question - Global Warming [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2009, 09:39
[EDIT - REMOVED BY THE USER]

Last edited by nplaneta on 17 Jun 2012, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 13

Re: Advanced Question - Global Warming [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2009, 11:14
+1 for B
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 43 [1] , given: 18

Re: Advanced Question - Global Warming [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2010, 04:24