Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 04:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CFA and the app process

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 4

Re: CFA and the app porcess [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2009, 10:12
MrPink78 wrote:
Ryguy or Potatoes - So would you then leave your CFA designation off you resume if you decided to interview for banking? Is it possible the CFA could hurt your chances of getting into banking?

IHateTheGMAT is a LIII Candidate that will be going to Tuck and recruiting for IB. We've discussed this and I think the approach that he's going to take (which I agree with) is to put his candidacy (or heaven forbid, he studies and passes LIII in June :)) on the resume and explain it if it comes up in the interview. II like keeping the LIII Candidate tagline on his resume because it would show that he knows something about finance and help him stand out about from the people with engineering, non-profit, non-finance. As far as explaining it (only if asked), I think he plans to say something along the lines of how his previous firm encouraged him to take it to be more successful, advance quickly within the company, and add credibility when working with clients, etc. He would add how he is truly interested in IB, though, etc, etc... I think that situation would certainly be understandable and I think that conversation piece would stop there and an interviewer would move on.

The True Value of YOUR MBA: 103-t64239
GMATClub's Unofficial Chartered Financial Analyst thread: 103-t63245
How Much Weight Does the CFA Carry with Admissions: 103-t68059

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: Yale SOM 2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: CFA and the app porcess [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2009, 10:39
I've worked way too hard to leave CFA of my resume (hopefully I'll pass level 3 in June and be a charter holder by the time school starts).
I really don't see how CFA on your resume could hurt you, even if its irrelevant career. I have no interest in coverage banking, but during an interview you could always talk to the fact you're a hard worker and able to focus as evidenced by passing xx levels of the CFA exam (as per CFA ethics can't claim superiority to anyone :wink: ). Hell even for a marketing job I would leave designations such as CPA & CFA on my resume b/c you can explain that your able to bring a unique insight blah blah blah..... Another point to think of is that with the knowledge you gained attaining the CFA the finance and accounting courses should be much easier, enabling you to focus on other areas: diff classes, clubs, job search, etc.

Usually AM/Hedge fund/PE jobs are obtained through your networks. Its hard but not impossible w/o banking experience (ok maybe this year).

MrPink78 wrote:
I'm not too sure where I see myself post MBA - but being only a 2 years out of college and not planing to go back to get an MBA for another 2 years, I figured getting a few levels of the CFA done would give me more opportunities.

Having broad financial knowledge that the CFA affords can't hurt. If I end up getting into banking post MBA and only use 10% of what I learned in the CFA, so be it. It's always there as a fallback. On the other hand, if I shoot for AM type of gigs out of b-school I'll just be that more prepared I guess.

Not really sure here. I'm just trying to rationalize as a level II candidate why I am continuing to go for the charter. Curious to hear what other people in the same position (pre MBA, doing the CFA) have to say.

What type of AM gigs are recruited for from top finance programs?

Ryguy or Potatoes - So would you then leave your CFA designation off you resume if you decided to interview for banking? Is it possible the CFA could hurt your chances of getting into banking?

Many thanks
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: CFA and the app process [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2009, 08:10
After busting my ass for 3 years, I would be crazy to not put CFA on my resume

But then again, I'm only a level 1 candidate, what do I know :wink:
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Re: CFA and the app process [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2009, 20:15
ryguy904 wrote:
or heaven forbid, he studies and passes LIII in June :)

I'm not sensing a whole lot of confidence in me right there :-D
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 2

Re: CFA and the app process [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2009, 12:37
This post received
KUDOS
After going through the application process, I would put a little more weight on the CFA if you're interviewing with alum. As ryguy has said many times, it doesn't carry much weight with adcom but, if you interview with an alum who is familiar with the designation, it can score big points.

Everyone's experience is different but I can tell you that the CFA played a much bigger role in my interviews than it did in my essays. For those discussing LI and LII, if you write and preach about your CFA endeavor, all you do is increase schools' stock in the individuals that actually have the charter. Just imagine the adcoms thoughts if a LIII candidate talks a lot about how cool the CFA is and then ryguy walks in and touches on it briefly....as though it's only a minor accomplishment in his overall candidacy.

IHTG....you've got to finish LIII. I can tell you that the charter will never hurt you...no matter what industry you enter. And, it provides a network of its own. If nothing else it proves dedication, self-study, and the ability to apply complex material under pressure.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 4

Re: CFA and the app process [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2009, 16:20
pguard wrote:
IHTG....you've got to finish LIII. I can tell you that the charter will never hurt you...no matter what industry you enter. And, it provides a network of its own. If nothing else it proves dedication, self-study, and the ability to apply complex material under pressure.

@IHTG - The man got into CBS. Listen to him! :wink:

SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: CFA and the app process [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2009, 16:32
ryguy904 wrote:

IHTG got into CBS?????

Can I have his Tuck admit???

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [1] , given: 0

Re: CFA and the app process [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2009, 19:41
This post received
KUDOS
nink wrote:
ryguy904 wrote:

IHTG got into CBS?????

Can I have his Tuck admit???

No, he was talking about the fact that pguard got into CBS (and is jokingly using it to push me to study more for CFA LIII). CBS accidentally lost my application. So... sorry but I'm keeping that Tuck admit!!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 188 [1] , given: 4

Re: CFA and the app process [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2009, 11:00
This post received
KUDOS
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
CBS accidentally lost my application.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: CFA and the app process [#permalink] New post 29 May 2009, 01:09
Hi.
I am 25 years old male from Indonesia. Engineer from national top school, GPA 3.21, several leadership experience during college (extracurricular activities). work experience: 1.5 yrs in oil&gas industry.

I'm planning to start my career in Finance (IB). I sat in CFA lv 1 exam and passed, but unfortunately that is not enough to get a position in a financial firm. So, I'm considering to take a MSF or MBA...

I haven't taken GMAT yet, now I'm preparing. Should I apply now for MSF, or wait for next 1-2 years and apply to MBA? For MSF application, what do you think bout my chance? how should I emphasize it in my application?

Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 6

Re: CFA and the app process [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2009, 11:05
luckyluke wrote:
Hi.
I am 25 years old male from Indonesia. Engineer from national top school, GPA 3.21, several leadership experience during college (extracurricular activities). work experience: 1.5 yrs in oil&gas industry.

I'm planning to start my career in Finance (IB). I sat in CFA lv 1 exam and passed, but unfortunately that is not enough to get a position in a financial firm. So, I'm considering to take a MSF or MBA...

I haven't taken GMAT yet, now I'm preparing. Should I apply now for MSF, or wait for next 1-2 years and apply to MBA? For MSF application, what do you think bout my chance? how should I emphasize it in my application?

Thanks.

If you want to go into IB, you need to go get an MBA and hope to be successfully recruited by a firm. This means you will need to go to at least top 20. Forget MSF for now. My 2.
Re: CFA and the app process   [#permalink] 06 Jul 2009, 11:05