Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 13:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CFA - finish it before doing MBA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: UWO, LBS, INSEAD, Columbia, Wharton
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CFA - finish it before doing MBA? [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 05:43
Hi all,

I am a CFA lvl III candidate and was wondering if I should wait the additional year to take the 3rd exam and then complete my MBA (assuming I pass the 3rd exam!).

1) Does being a CFA charterholder help with admissions into top tier programs or is the effect minimal (i.e. no real difference applying as a CFA lvl III candidate or a CFA charterholder)

2) Considering the current job market, has it been easier to obtain jobs as a CFA charterholder and an MBA post graduation? Have recruiters responded positively to candidates that are charterholders and MBA grads?

2a) On that note, can anyone comment on the current job market? Another reason I was thinking of waiting the additional year is to give the markets another year to normalize. We're in for a slow growth recovery and giving the market another year to stabilize may open up more job opportunities.

Thanks for the help.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 12

Re: CFA - finish it before doing MBA? [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 08:59
there is a post that was discussing this issue(how the admission look at the CFA), look it up and am sure it'll be helpful
on another note as far as I know the admission office doesn't have a clue of how much hard work and effort goes into becoming a CFA holder.

Nanquam Fractum

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 86

Reviews Badge
Re: CFA - finish it before doing MBA? [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 09:15
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 63

Premium Member
Re: CFA - finish it before doing MBA? [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 10:12
JUST PASSED LIII!!!!

Got the results today -- sorry but I feel like screaming it from the rooftops!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia Business School '13

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: CFA - finish it before doing MBA? [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 11:24
Avernusaur wrote:

Congrats on L3. Very nice accomplishment.

As someone who's passed L3 (charter pending on work exp. requirement), it's sometimes frustrating to hear people knock the program and thus, the temptation to weigh in here is too strong. While I understand that it's not necessarily a huge bump in the admin process, I definitely shows intellectual capacity and work ethic.

The only people that talk about the CFA as somesort of replacement of an MBA are those that don't have the charter. Sure the CFA charter ensures a high level of competence in finance, but at the core of the charter is a commitment to 1) ethical behavior and 2) lifelong learning through continuing education.

I went to Booth Live this year and was chatting with a 2nd year, who was about to sit for LII. He commented that while LII was hard, his finance courses at Booth went well "above and beyond" the curriculum. That is to be expected, and thus why someone wanting to concentrate in finance would go to business school. It's the difference between self-directed study of a certain curriculum for that year to learning from the guys who are shaping the form the curriculum with their work. It's a different ball game.

Yea, given the opportunity I'd like to tell Adcom, "I blew through the CFA 3/3 in 18 months while working 60 hrs a week" but pretty sure it would fall on deaf ears. Instead, my strategy will be - "the CFA program really opened my eyes to what I want to do - your school will help me get there. By the way, I'll be a fantastic resource to the students that have little to no finance experience."
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 86

Reviews Badge
Re: CFA - finish it before doing MBA? [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 20:49
Congrats to both of you on having passed L3 :) That's a big accomplishment!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 40

Re: CFA - finish it before doing MBA? [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 21:34
Yeh congrats, thats huge to have passed!

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion!

Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia Business School '13

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: CFA - finish it before doing MBA? [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 04:46
Sorry, I got a little carried away with the linked post.

To the original poster, go ahead and finish L3 if you can. I can't imagine that you wont get a bump in the recruiting process if you have the charter. Shops like PIMCO require it...

Given that you've got 1 & 2 under your belt, I'm guessing that you're going to be in investment management for the long haul. It's better to get all these tests out of the way as soon as possible, in my opinion. The longer you wait, the harder it will be because you'll have more commitments ( work, family, etc.).
Re: CFA - finish it before doing MBA?   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2010, 04:46