Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 04:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CFA Level 1 as a primer for MBA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 19

CFA Level 1 as a primer for MBA? [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 12:09
Ok ladies and gents,

So the two-year program I am likely to select to do my MBA at (offer is on the table, just waiting to hear from another school first) is setup such that all the “core” courses are completed during your first year. Then it’s all electives/specialization for the second year.

I have until next August to save money and get prepared. I am leaning towards consulting but realize it’s competitive so I have, broadly-speaking, finance/banking as my back-up.

I’m thinking I’ll enroll in the CFA level one program not only because it will help the finance path (should I choose to take it) but also it appears, from the curriculum, to have significant overlap in the what the “core” courses will cover in the first year of my MBA (stats, financial analysis, financial stmt analysis, economics, capital markets, etc). It’ll be a great primer and should help me shoulder the workload and excel in the in my classes – as I plan to, for the first time in my life, be on the honor-roll.

My question is, for the consulting route – how can I prepare myself in a way similar to the CFA/Finance route? Are there designations or courses I can pursue? Something I can do and get credit for (ie. Can put on my resume) would be awesome. I heard consultants are excel-fiends so I thought about taking an accredited course in excel and becoming a jedi in it. I know they also do lots of presenting, so should I take some courses on public speaking or join an improv class or something to get better at presenting infront of large groups?

Any other thoughts or ideas? Any ideas on pre-MBA warm-ups and/or primers in general?

Thanks.

-TheSituation

G.T.L. - GMAT, Tanning, Laundry

Round 1: 05/12/10 handling-a-grenade-thesituation-s-official-debrief-94181.html

Round 2: 07/10/10 - This time it's personal.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.37
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 15

Re: CFA Level 1 as a primer for MBA? [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 17:31
I sat the CFA Level 1 in December - I found it to be a GREAT intro to finance. It's almost like doing an entire Bachelor of Finance in a very short period of time. I would rate passing CFA Level 1 as MUCH MORE difficult than getting 700 in the GMAT - but then again, I had ZERO finance background (I'm an Engineer by qualification).

With the CFA though - unless you complete all 3 levels, and do the work experience required to get the charter - you won't really get recognized for anything.

AlexMBAApply said something that really hit home to me the other week (profile-evaluation-aussie-applicant-106856.html#p843282) - "There are like 2 billion Chinese and Indians taking the CFA these days..." - that makes it slightly harder to stand out in a crowd.

Kudos always appreciated if my post helped you :)

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CFA Level 1 as a primer for MBA? [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2011, 21:43
I am also giving CFA level one in Dec and GMAT in July. Additionally I am also giving AGRE Maths in November to strengthen my profile for Mathematical Finance.
I am to get CFA level 2, GMAT 700+, AGRE 80 percentile, one year degree in Finance. I think these will be good enough to get me in MS financial engineering at a good place.
Kindly guide me on the aspects of the application.
shivgan3@yahoo.com
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, Oxford
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: CFA Level 1 as a primer for MBA? [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2011, 22:32
@TheSituation

You should surely go ahead with CFA L1,...its a primer in almost all areas of Finance ( including Economics)...n will help you big time in MBA

Please feel free to ask any question on it

I am CFA L-3 pass and expecting charter next year (subject to meeting requisite work ex criterion)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: CFA Level 1 as a primer for MBA? [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 11:29
Alchemist1320 wrote:
@TheSituation

You should surely go ahead with CFA L1,...its a primer in almost all areas of Finance ( including Economics)...n will help you big time in MBA

Please feel free to ask any question on it

I am CFA L-3 pass and expecting charter next year (subject to meeting requisite work ex criterion)

Will it be ok to show failed attempt in CFA level 1 exam in MBA application?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CFA Level 1 as a primer for MBA? [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 07:00
I'd say if you're looking to go the finance route than taking the CFA L1 can't hurt.
Re: CFA Level 1 as a primer for MBA?   [#permalink] 10 Jan 2012, 07:00