Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 21:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cha-Ching! Add it up!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 08 Aug 2006
Posts: 346
Location: San Francisco
Schools: Berkeley Haas
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2007, 08:58
Code:
apps                  $800
GMAT                  $250
GMAT books            $50  (sold em after test)
TOEFL                 $150
transcript delivery   $200
essay editing         $200
----------------------------
TOTAL                 $1650


I'm a cheapo as well. However, the show is not over - suit expenses are still quite possible :)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 117
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2007, 14:30
Rhyme,
Pardon my lack of knowledge about tax filing.

But can we file deductions based on application fees for all the unversities?
Thanks,
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Posts: 1855
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 2

 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2007, 14:37
Hindustan -

Don't talk to Rhyme. I'm the tax goddess in these parts.

Unfortunately, application fees won't help you out on your tax returns.

Later - maybe tonight or tomorrow - I will start a new thread on finances and taxes (I am a financial counselor and run a tax clinic for low-income filers). Stay tuned for more exciting detail!
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5252
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2007, 04:42
fluffydot wrote:

New suite: $199



I'm in the market for one of those right now, but looking to spend upwards of $199,000. Add that to the total cost (GMAT+MBA) and I become the official GMATClub CHA-CHING debt KING. :(

New condo: $225,000
Forgone wages: $175,000
Tuition: $50,000
This month's visit to XYZ: $3000
Kaplan: $1200
Books, CDROMs, other online materials: ~$1000
GMAT (x4): $1000
Initial school visits in 2004 and 2005: $5000 (x2)
Lost wages during vists: $15,000
Insurance: $10,000
Wife's green card paperwork and embassy visits: $2000
Family visit to Asia: $5000
Anticipated birth of first child between B1 and B2: $6000
Living Expenses for 21 months: $31,000
----------------------------------------------------------------
Sub Total: $535,000 (and that's riding a bicycle to school everyday!)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1580 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2007, 08:29
GMATT73 wrote:
fluffydot wrote:

New suite: $199



I'm in the market for one of those right now, but looking to spend upwards of $199,000. Add that to the total cost (GMAT+MBA) and I become the official GMATClub CHA-CHING debt KING. :(

New condo: $225,000
Forgone wages: $175,000
Tuition: $50,000
This month's visit to XYZ: $3000
Kaplan: $1200
Books, CDROMs, other online materials: ~$1000
GMAT (x4): $1000
Initial school visits in 2004 and 2005: $5000 (x2)
Lost wages during vists: $15,000
Insurance: $10,000
Wife's green card paperwork and embassy visits: $2000
Family visit to Asia: $5000
Anticipated birth of first child between B1 and B2: $6000
Living Expenses for 21 months: $31,000
----------------------------------------------------------------
Sub Total: $535,000 (and that's riding a bicycle to school everyday!)


I don't know where XYZ is, but this:

Living Expenses for 21 months: $31,000

Seems way way low to me. Thats less than $1500 a month, and unless XYZ is in a really small town where things are cheap, thats low.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5252
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2007, 04:02
rhyme wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:
fluffydot wrote:

New suite: $199



I'm in the market for one of those right now, but looking to spend upwards of $199,000. Add that to the total cost (GMAT+MBA) and I become the official GMATClub CHA-CHING debt KING. :(

New condo: $225,000
Forgone wages: $175,000
Tuition: $50,000
This month's visit to XYZ: $3000
Kaplan: $1200
Books, CDROMs, other online materials: ~$1000
GMAT (x4): $1000
Initial school visits in 2004 and 2005: $5000 (x2)
Lost wages during vists: $15,000
Insurance: $10,000
Wife's green card paperwork and embassy visits: $2000
Family visit to Asia: $5000
Anticipated birth of first child between B1 and B2: $6000
Living Expenses for 21 months: $31,000
----------------------------------------------------------------
Sub Total: $535,000 (and that's riding a bicycle to school everyday!)


I don't know where XYZ is, but this:

Living Expenses for 21 months: $31,000

Seems way way low to me. Thats less than $1500 a month, and unless XYZ is in a really small town where things are cheap, thats low.


That figure does not include mortgage costs.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 3403
Location: New York City
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

 [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2007, 09:02
you should fit well in the i-banking world
...at least dress wise :)

rhyme wrote:
Xeo78 wrote:
rhyme wrote:
Don't feel bad about your costs. Here's my rough total.

Gmat prep, $1800
Gmat exams, $750
gmat score reports and transcript ordering, ~$150
Trip to Cornell: ~$950
Trip to Harvard: ~$1400
Unpaid time off work for trips, gmat exams, interviews, class visits, etc: ~$12,000
New Suit for interviews: $1200
Application Fees: ~$700
Dry Cleaning: At least $50

~ $19,000 true opportunity cost (which is the best measure)

or, if you prefer:

~ $7,000 actual out of pocket


$1200 for a suit? Geez, what did you get, Armani? :wink:


Embarassing as it is... It was actually $1400, not $1200, I was mistaken... and its one of my cheaper suits actually.... I tend to buy Loro Piana mostly. Armani tends not to fit well on my frame. I also have a tendency to buy some pretty ridiculously priced shirts. Shoes too, but at least there I can blame my insanely big but insanely narrow feet. There's only two manufacturers that fit me well. Reebok, and Ferragamo. Doesn't leave much in terms of options. Ties are probably my most ridiculous splurge - but I stopped buying them years ago. Hermes mostly.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1580 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2007, 19:40
I dont wear Armani! Loro Piana! Boss! Hermes! Ferragamo!

But, still, I love it... "weighed down by fees", LOL.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2006
Posts: 513
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2007, 19:45
Armani, Giovanni, Piscatelli, walletempti, hermes, boss - yada yada, whatever, it's just details. I haven't worn any of these so I couldn't care less ;)
_________________

http://onwardtomba.blogspot.com - MBA, GMAT, INSEAD - the journey.
My 7 GMAT Quant Strategies/Trap
My GMAT Debrief

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Posts: 1408
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2007, 20:50
Hilarious!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 16 Dec 2007
Posts: 198
Location: San Diego,CA
Schools: Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: Cha-Ching! Add it up! [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 11:07
Found while searching the cost of application process. Bumping it for folks planning to apply for 09.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

Re: Cha-Ching! Add it up! [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 14:38
that's a good one!
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

Re: Cha-Ching! Add it up! [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 16:52
yikes, that is expensive! You will get in, bsd, you will!
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 68
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Cha-Ching! Add it up! [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 18:18
GMAT class: $1000
GMAT test: $250
Visit to Michigan Ross: $450
Visits to Chicago GSB: $100 in cabs to go back and forth a few times
Kellogg App: $225
Chicago GSB App: $200
Dry cleaning the interview suit/shirt (twice): $30
New high heels for the interviews (that I subsequently RUINED the minute I stepped out of my apartment on my way to the Kellogg interview...GRRR...): $100

Blood, sweat, and tears: A LOT

Grand total: $2,355. Not that bad I guess!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

Re: Cha-Ching! Add it up! [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 18:51
GMAT Fee: $250
GMAT Books: $100 (estimate)
MBA Prep Books: $125 (estimate)
Application Fees (Stanford, Haas, UCLA, Kellogg): $825
Tickets to LA x 2 + Hotel: $500
Tickets to Chicago + hotel: $600 (estimate)
Gas to Haas and Stanford, numerous times: $100
New suit for interview: $150 (yeah, it was on sale at Banana)
Lost time and opportunity from July - December (minus November): Immesurable

Total Cost: $2650

Getting admitted to UCLA right before Xmas: PRICELESS :P
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

Re: [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 18:55
rhyme wrote:
Embarassing as it is... It was actually $1400, not $1200, I was mistaken... and its one of my cheaper suits actually.... I tend to buy Loro Piana mostly. Armani tends not to fit well on my frame. I also have a tendency to buy some pretty ridiculously priced shirts. Shoes too, but at least there I can blame my insanely big but insanely narrow feet. There's only two manufacturers that fit me well. Reebok, and Ferragamo. Doesn't leave much in terms of options. Ties are probably my most ridiculous splurge - but I stopped buying them years ago. Hermes mostly.


I *had* to quote this one... *$1400* for a suit?! You have very expensive tastes, rhyme! :P
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Posts: 65
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Cha-Ching! Add it up! [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 19:28
GMAT Fee: $250
GMAT Book: $35
Application Fees (Chicago, Wharton, Kellogg): $650
Tickets to Chicago x 2: $400 (estimate)
Gas+Tolls to Wharton: $40
New suit for interview: $200


Total Cost: $1575...looks like I need to spend nearly this much to fit in with Rhyme at GSB 8-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2007
Posts: 378
Location: Times Square
Schools: Baruch / Zicklin
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 148

Re: [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 19:33
rhyme wrote:
... I don't know where XYZ is...



It's on the 3-dimensional coordinate plane. You can plot it if you'd like. I believe Travel ranked it as the Xth Exotic place to visit for 2007.

:lol:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

Re: Cha-Ching! Add it up! [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 21:11
burger2001 wrote:
GMAT Fee: $250
GMAT Book: $35
Application Fees (Chicago, Wharton, Kellogg): $650
Tickets to Chicago x 2: $400 (estimate)
Gas+Tolls to Wharton: $40
New suit for interview: $200


Total Cost: $1575...looks like I need to spend nearly this much to fit in with Rhyme at GSB 8-)


Rhyme spent almost as much as you with his suit alone :P
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 983
Location: Hong Kong
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 10

Re: Cha-Ching! Add it up! [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 23:06
GMAT: $250
GMAT website study: $40
Application fees: $875
4 Cashmere Wool Suits and 7 silk shirts all tailored and 4 silk ties - for interviews: $300

= $1465 - yay!!! I am a cheapskate
Re: Cha-Ching! Add it up!   [#permalink] 16 Jan 2008, 23:06
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic The three digits of a number add up to 11. The number is div Asifpirlo 3 21 Aug 2013, 00:36
1 How do Q/V scores add up to 800 score? shoptiludrop 5 01 Mar 2012, 19:11
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic The lengths of the two shorter legs of a right triangle add up to 40 u Lstadt 7 28 Feb 2012, 12:48
1 Does work exp gained during bachelor add up overall work exp alex139rom 3 29 Dec 2011, 07:36
How many 5 digit numbers are there , whose digits add up to ArvGMAT 5 07 Aug 2006, 17:18
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Cha-Ching! Add it up!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7    Next  [ 137 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.