Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 00:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Challenges & Obstacles Essay, struggling with this one

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Challenges & Obstacles Essay, struggling with this one [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2004, 13:15
I've tried several times to write an essay for UNC regarding the following question:

What obstacles or major challenges have you overcome to achieve your goals? How do these life experiences distinguish you from other applicants? (800 word maximum)

I am really having a tough time thinking of anything major or relevant right now. I've never had problems in school so I can't use anything there. Can anyone give me any insights or examples?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Re: Challenges & Obstacles Essay, struggling with this o [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2004, 16:56
riteshb wrote:
I've tried several times to write an essay for UNC regarding the following question:

What obstacles or major challenges have you overcome to achieve your goals? How do these life experiences distinguish you from other applicants? (800 word maximum)

I am really having a tough time thinking of anything major or relevant right now. I've never had problems in school so I can't use anything there. Can anyone give me any insights or examples?

So this is what I would suggest....

In my case I have been brought up in three different countries...so that's what is unique about my background. Using that as my unique pt. I would work backwards to talk about a problem i faced that highlights the fact that I have a unique background.

So i would say..moved around a lot...cultural shocks...learned to adopt to each new culture. In my personal and professional life, I can adapt and hit the ground running faster than most people because I am soo use to changes. THIS IS WHAT MAKES ME UNIQUE...and my experience unique.

Of course, you have be more eloquent when you make pts. like the one i made above.

General Approach:

a) Pick something special about your background
b) A problem you faced and the result...
c) Tie the two together and talk about how your background and difficultly taught you something very unique...

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Yoda

Last edited by amitbalan on 13 Dec 2004, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2004, 16:58
A few possibilities:
- Poor manager
- Difficult team members
- Assigned to an impossible project
- Come from a poor or uneducated family
- Cultural challenges
- Disability
- Family tragedy
- Being laid-off
- Gender challenges

http://www.mbagameplan.com

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2004, 18:37
Thank you very much for your ideas. I love this site! Hopefully I can report positive news in a few months if I get into any of the schools I apply to (none of them are top-10/elite schools).