Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 11:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chance at Stern Part Time

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Chance at Stern Part Time [#permalink] New post 20 May 2005, 13:17
Hi Linda,

I wanted to get your opinion of my chances of being accepted in Sterns part time MBA program. Here are my vitals.

I graduated from Penn State in 1998 with a Degree in Environmental Resouce Management (GPA 2.5) and a Degree in Business (GPA 3.7.) The lousy GPA for the first major is due to the fact that I was not interested in what I was studying and by the time I figured out that I wanted a business degree I was far enough along that it made sense to get both degrees. I completed the business degree in a very short time by loading up on classes and taking summer school. I did it in 3 sememsters + a summer.

I graduated and went to work at a Large Pharma company in Jersey as a Logistics analyst. In three years I had three jobs within this company and was promoted twice. My area was operations. First job was a logistics anyalyst, and subsequent positions were as a planner and a senior capacity planner at the plant level.

I left to go High Tech and got rich on paper. Unfortunatly the company went from IPO to poo poo. I was also in operations at this company as a senior analyst.

Once that place went the way of the bubble burst I moved onto a job at another Pharma company in Jersey where I was brought on to manage an SAP implementation manager for a peice of the business. We went live and it was considered a very successful implementation. I was promoted after the project was done. I then moved on again because the company relocated my job. This was my choice and I was not layed off.

Finally i am the supply chain manager for another pharma in Jersey. This is an aggressive company that is always on the look out for new products partnerships etc. . . I want to move into the Business development area i.e. evaluations deals, aquistions, JVs, Etc, hence my interest in Stern since they have such strong financial program. I have had some pretty impressive accomplishments (I think) in the years since I started here that my boss will attest to in one of my reccos.

My GMAT was a 700 42 Q 42 V.

I don't have a lot of extracarriculars. I play softball with my friends. Take care of my house (I have a big yard and landscaping is a hobby.) I don't do any real charity work to speak of although I do do walks and runs to support cancer since I my life has been directly impacted.

I am fairly confident the I can write compelling essays as to why I am pursuing and MBA etc. . . However I am worried my credentials won't stand up. Especially my lack of extra curricular activites. Any advice that you can give will be very much appreciated.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 318 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chance at Stern Part Time [#permalink] New post 24 May 2005, 10:37
Expert's post
Eagles04 wrote:
Hi Linda,

I wanted to get your opinion of my chances of being accepted in Sterns part time MBA program. Here are my vitals.

I graduated from Penn State in 1998 with a Degree in Environmental Resouce Management (GPA 2.5) and a Degree in Business (GPA 3.7.) The lousy GPA for the first major is due to the fact that I was not interested in what I was studying and by the time I figured out that I wanted a business degree I was far enough along that it made sense to get both degrees. I completed the business degree in a very short time by loading up on classes and taking summer school. I did it in 3 sememsters + a summer.

I graduated and went to work at a Large Pharma company in Jersey as a Logistics analyst. In three years I had three jobs within this company and was promoted twice. My area was operations. First job was a logistics anyalyst, and subsequent positions were as a planner and a senior capacity planner at the plant level.

I left to go High Tech and got rich on paper. Unfortunatly the company went from IPO to poo poo. I was also in operations at this company as a senior analyst.

Once that place went the way of the bubble burst I moved onto a job at another Pharma company in Jersey where I was brought on to manage an SAP implementation manager for a peice of the business. We went live and it was considered a very successful implementation. I was promoted after the project was done. I then moved on again because the company relocated my job. This was my choice and I was not layed off.

Finally i am the supply chain manager for another pharma in Jersey. This is an aggressive company that is always on the look out for new products partnerships etc. . . I want to move into the Business development area i.e. evaluations deals, aquistions, JVs, Etc, hence my interest in Stern since they have such strong financial program. I have had some pretty impressive accomplishments (I think) in the years since I started here that my boss will attest to in one of my reccos.

My GMAT was a 700 42 Q 42 V.

I don't have a lot of extracarriculars. I play softball with my friends. Take care of my house (I have a big yard and landscaping is a hobby.) I don't do any real charity work to speak of although I do do walks and runs to support cancer since I my life has been directly impacted.

I am fairly confident the I can write compelling essays as to why I am pursuing and MBA etc. . . However I am worried my credentials won't stand up. Especially my lack of extra curricular activites. Any advice that you can give will be very much appreciated.

You are a competitive candidate at Stern. Your GMAT and second degree GPA are strong. You should explain the first GPA, but you can easily make the arguement that it doesn't show what you are capable of and that the other indicators are more accurate. Your work experience is also competitive.

Regarding your community service. Make the most of what you've got. You have your landscapting and softball hobbies. The former perhaps shows creativity; the latter requires teamwork and at least a little initiative. Also, don't belittle your runs for cancer. It may not be like you organized a run, but you've committed time and raised money and apparently done it several times. Combining what you like to do with a cause you care about is a good thing.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Stern Part Time [#permalink] New post 24 May 2005, 13:13
Linda,

Thank you for your Frank advice. That is what I was looking to hear but I know that I really have to nail my essays in order to gain acceptance to Stern's part time program.

I have seen researched accepted.com web site and may be interested in your services. Especially since I believe telling a compelling story through my essays will be key. I have a vision of where I want to be and how I want to get there, it is just expressing it clearly and honestly while allowing the reader insight into my true personality that is my real challenge.

One other quick questions. . . . Since my quant on my GMAT 42 66% was lower than my verbal 42 96% do you think I should address this in my optional essay. I was thinking of showing that my work experience since graduating has been very quant oriented and I have shown success in my positions.

Thanks,
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 318 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Stern Part Time [#permalink] New post 25 May 2005, 13:52
Expert's post
Eagles04 wrote:
Linda,

Thank you for your Frank advice. That is what I was looking to hear but I know that I really have to nail my essays in order to gain acceptance to Stern's part time program.

I have seen researched accepted.com web site and may be interested in your services. Especially since I believe telling a compelling story through my essays will be key. I have a vision of where I want to be and how I want to get there, it is just expressing it clearly and honestly while allowing the reader insight into my true personality that is my real challenge.

One other quick questions. . . . Since my quant on my GMAT 42 66% was lower than my verbal 42 96% do you think I should address this in my optional essay. I was thinking of showing that my work experience since graduating has been very quant oriented and I have shown success in my positions.

Thanks,

You're most welcome. THanks for your interest in Accepted.com's services.

The latter is a little more complicated question than it seems. It might be best to let your resume, undergrad transcript, and perhaps letters of rec address your quant skills and use your optional to bring out something not covered elsewhere -- something positive. It might be best to do exactly as you suggest above. It's one of those questions that requires a little more time and a different medium.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog