Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 14:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chance at top 10 business schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Chance at top 10 business schools [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 11:48
770 GMAT (51Q, 46V)
3.9 GPA
Biology and Economics double major
Omicron Delta Epsilon, PBK, Magna Cum Laude
Top 30 US News Undergraduate College

Work experience: 1 year (2 by matriculation) in basic science biology research at a US national prestigious institution. Will have some publications out.

I'm looking to get out of research and move into the business side (management, consulting, manufacturing, etc) of things. With my background, I'm particularly interested in biotech, pharma, and hospitals.

I'm wondering what my chances are at the top 10 business schools? I'm particularly interested in MIT Sloan's LGO program, where I could pursue a MS in bioengineering simultaneously with the MBA. I'm not exactly sure manufacturing/operations is what I want to do though.

My stats seem above avg, but I think my work experience may hold me back? What do you guys think?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 1

Re: Chance at top 10 business schools [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 15:37
Expert's post
Firstly - impressive GMAT! Well done!

Your stats are definitely above average and your academic history makes for a unique background. While you are right to question the extent of your work experience, I don't think it will be as much a detriment as you believe. I say this because your work experience is in a particularly unique area which separates you from the applicant pool (in a good way). Also, it has strong ties to your career aspirations, which are also in a field that diversifies MBA program's career statistics.

While your the amount of experience you have is a weaker point in your application, there are a few ways to offset it. For one, applying to the right schools will be critical. You have a great path ahead of you and a story to tell about how you'll get there, but the school has to be the right fit to get you there. You're on the right path as you consider the MIT LGO program (I'm not necessarily saying that's the best option, just saying you're asking the right questions). Additionally, your applications should stand unique of one another as it will be more imperative for you than other candidates to tell truly tailored stories to each program. Not to mention, your academics and GMAT will definitely help you out.

What it will come down to is your story. How interesting is it? How well articulated is it? How tailored is it? Does it present you in a strong light against the criteria the programs you're targeting are looking for? Does it make sense? You say you want to move to consulting, well, why? Articulation will be the differentiator.

I hope that helps and if you have any specific questions or want to talk further, please let me know!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 6

Re: Chance at top 10 business schools [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 22:41
Hi,

KUDOS on your GMAT scores!!

You have a good GPA as well. To apply in top b-schools, I would suggest few pointers like: teamwork, leadership style and biggest weakness. If you are able to tell cultural, ethics story and story outside work place then you would stand a good chance in b-school(s). As your work experience is on lower side, I would suggest you to shortlist realistic b-schools. You may try your chances in b-schools by clicking http://www.general-ed.com/bschool-selector

Feel free to post any other concern you might have or PM your details to have a detail discussion on your profile and selection of b-schools.

Cheers!!
Neha

ironlionzion wrote:
770 GMAT (51Q, 46V)
3.9 GPA
Biology and Economics double major
Omicron Delta Epsilon, PBK, Magna Cum Laude
Top 30 US News Undergraduate College

Work experience: 1 year (2 by matriculation) in basic science biology research at a US national prestigious institution. Will have some publications out.

I'm looking to get out of research and move into the business side (management, consulting, manufacturing, etc) of things. With my background, I'm particularly interested in biotech, pharma, and hospitals.

I'm wondering what my chances are at the top 10 business schools? I'm particularly interested in MIT Sloan's LGO program, where I could pursue a MS in bioengineering simultaneously with the MBA. I'm not exactly sure manufacturing/operations is what I want to do though.

My stats seem above avg, but I think my work experience may hold me back? What do you guys think?

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Re: Chance at top 10 business schools   [#permalink] 24 Apr 2013, 22:41