Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 08:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chances??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Chances?? [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2004, 15:30
Hi Scott,

My gmat is in the lower 600 but good quant score.Somehow I screwed the verbal. Belong to ever competitive Indian IT pool.Some of my achievements include two awards from major aerospace client, winner of a game show in India(very popular one), started a successful part-time business in fourth year of engineering but later quit, held verious leadership positions and writes stories that have the potential to be made into thrillers. With all these do you think, I still have a chance at top schools. Pls advise on which part should I elaborate more. I'm interested in Finance. Last option is to give the GMAT again but I think in that case I'll miss the international deadlines for fall 2005 admission.Pls help.

Thanks,
Faizan
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2004, 18:47
You still have a chance for some of the strong finance programs if you are in the 600s with a high quant score. The key is applying to the right portfolio of schools.

Best,

Hjort
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2004, 21:52
My GMAT is 620(V27 and Q48) and TOEFL 267. Today only I received an email from Rochester suggesting me to retake the GMAT to improve my chances. They reviewed my application and acknowledged distinctive strengths in my application. I'm confused. I am willing to retake the exam but I think I need time to do so. What should I do?

Thanks,
Faizu
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2004, 21:55
Also let me know some of the other schools that have strong finance program and fit my profile.

Thanks a lot,
Faizu
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

[#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2004, 08:48
Expert's post
It's worth a shot. You're actually pretty lucky. It's great that they gave you such specific feedback and are giving you a chance to work on this part of your application. I don't know how much time you have, but I would do everything I could to take the GMAT again by the deadline and ensure my chances of success with Rochester. If you're seriously interested in Rochester, then you should give it a shot.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2004, 11:09
Also let me know some of the other schools that have strong finance program and fit my profile.

Thanks a lot,
Faizu
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2004, 17:52
Hi,

I would certainly follow the instructions given by Rochester (which was the first school that came to mind). I would also suggest looking at Georgetown and Rice.

Hjort
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2004, 13:42
Hi,

What are chances of getting in after the second deadline? I'll miss it because of my GMAT. How selective do the schools become?

Thanks,
Faizan
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2004, 09:01
Expert's post
We generally recommend against people applying after the second round. By that point the schools have selected most of the students whom they want, and have a number of students on the waitlist. When some admits decline a school's invitation to attend, the school will tend to go to its waitlist to fill that spot. There are many third-round applicants who get rejected but probably would have been accepted had they only applied earlier.

Students definitely do get in after the second round, but they need to be extremely strong applicants to do so. And, they should at least have some sort of reason why they're applying so late in the process. Schools will want to make sure that a student isn't just applying at the last minute on a whim or because he lost his job and has no other option.

Your reason for applying late is a legitimate one, but be aware that you'd really have to stand out in order to have a good chance of success.

Best,
Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2004, 10:52
Thanks Scott for helping me. Is it possible that I send the applications with the current score and later notify the schools of my new score. Will this be taken in the positive sense. My apps for HBS and Kellogg are ready but I'm reluctant to send with this low score. Are there any cases when Indian IT applicants have been selected with low scores at HBS?Should I start studying for GMAT or send couple of apps to low ranked schools?I am confused.

Thanks,
Faizan
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2004, 11:16
Expert's post
I know that some schools let applicants do this, but I'm having a hard time finding any HBS- or Kellogg-specific info. My advice is to call the schools and ask. They'll be able to give you a quick, straightforward answer. And don't worry about them remembering that you have low GMAT scores after you call... You don't have to tell them who you are. :-)

About Indians being accepted with low GMAT scores, I again want to emphasize that the GMAT is the not the most important part of the app, maybe even more so for Indian applicants. It's easy to think that since Indians often have high GMAT scores, you have to have a high score, too, or else you won't get in. A better way to look at it is to think about the ways in which Indian applicants often fall short in their apps (namely, differentiating themselves with unique professional backgrounds, community service experiences, or post-MBA goals), and focus on standing out in those areas. There are no hard GMAT cut-offs, and schools often accept interesting applicants who often have a certain weakness, such as a lower GMAT score.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2004, 12:22
Hi Scott,

Thanks for motivating me. I'll call HBS and Kellogg. One more thing, do schools favor students to whom they have sent app fee waiver. I've received from couple of them. What is the logic behind selection of prospective applicant for app fee waiver?

Regards,
Faizan
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2004, 16:10
Expert's post
I'm not sure if they favor those students after they apply. They usually do that in order to encourage an attractive potential applicant to apply, but I'm not certain that they favor that applicant once he submits his app.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2005, 21:15
Hi Scott,

I was rejected by UNC and Virginia because of my low gmat score of 620.I applied in the first round.Today I took gmat again and scored 710.I want to know how should I approach these univ with my new score.Will they entertain my request for re-evaluation?

Also let me know which schools are generous in giving schols to international students at this point of application process.I know I'm late but I wanna get this year only.I'm interested in finance or general mgmt. How about chicago? is it too late to apply to gsb?

Thanks,

FH