Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 23:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chances at a Top-10 Business School?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Chances at a Top-10 Business School? [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2010, 16:26
Could use opinions on whether I have a shot at a top-10 business school? I'm currently in sales but looking to get an MBA in finance.

White Male, 25

GMAT: 700

GPA: 3.99 from a private Division III university

Work Experience: 3 years in software sales at two different companies. #3 salesperson out of team of 150, promoted to sales manager and led team of 8-12 sales representatives. Switched companies for more potential and to learn enterprise sales ($1M+ deals).

Extracurriculars: Good in college but a little light since then. I started an investment blog that has a monthly readership of 1000+, and have been published on several financial news websites for stock writeups/analysis. Proven and verifiable stock trading record of beating the market over the past 15+ months.

I'm hoping to use my blog and trading background as a reason for going back to b-school for a degree in finance. Overall goal is to join a hedge fund or start my own.

Chances? Any hopes at getting a fellowship or other financial aid?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: R1: Kellogg WL, Haas WL, Fuqua, Darden R2: Wharton
WE 1: Biotech Strategy
WE 2: Health Economics
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Chances at a Top-10 Business School? [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2010, 03:02
Yeah, I'd say you have a shot but its hard to put a number on it.

Your short explanation makes sense and it sounds like you'll be able to make a strong case in the why MBA/why now essays that almost every school has.

Another thing that will influence your chances is what school you went to. I bet a 3.99 at Amherst/Williams goes a long way while it wouldn't stand out at a less competitive school.

In the end, if you put time and effort in your apps, I'd say you have a chance at a top 10 school. If I had to put a number on it, I'd say 60% but that's just a guess. Def apply to schools in the 10-15 range as well. The oppertunities there can be simialr to those in the top 10 depending on your goals.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Chances at a Top-10 Business School? [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 16:55
I scored a 700 with little preparation and plan on taking the test again. After studying for a few months, I'm confident I should be able to raise my score.

How high do I need to shoot for to have a 75% or greater chance at getting in? 750? 720?
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Chances at a Top-10 Business School? [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 21:16
in my opinion, i don't think that a higher GMAT would necessarily put you in another "bucket" so to speak. the one thing that might stand out is your desire to break into hedge funds without any real finance experience. just to get some perspective, the HF industry is one of the toughest and most highly sought-after industries, and very few students at top schools (even ones like HBS and stanford) manage to break into this industry. those that do generally have some sort of experience in an investment bank or other financial firm.

anyway, i'd try and get some feedback from an admissions consultant, since i think you might be doing yourself a disservice by focusing your essays on a goal like that. i'm not trying to deter you from your dream, but rather making you aware that if you choose to focus your essays on that, you'll really need to go into detail as to what steps you are going to take in order to accomplish your goal.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Chances at a Top-10 Business School? [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 23:05
Hi DrSues02,

Firstly, is that your name or are you naming yourself after the genius writer 'Dr Suess?'

Secondly, you've got a great profile - all of your online accolades are impressive - so much so that if you're interested in beefing up your extra curricular we'd love for you to come and write about your business school search/application experience on our website <REDACTED> - would you be interested in blogging on a site like ours?

---------------
There's a no advertising policy for GMATClub

Last edited by asimov on 19 Jun 2010, 01:31, edited 1 time in total.
advertising
Re: Chances at a Top-10 Business School?   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2010, 23:05