Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Duke
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Tuck School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 330 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Re: Chances at a top MBA from a Fine Arts Background? [#permalink]
leilalu86 wrote:
Hello,
Will adcoms look down on this? Will my artistic background hurt me?

IMO your background is absolutely amazing. You really stand out from the crowd and that's what really matters for the top schools. It seems that you have thorough knowledge of quite specific industry and so you bring some unique perspective to the table.

Go for the top schools.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
I think the unique and diverse background will help you! Nice profile you have a good shot at those schools. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ahh! Thank you all for your responses. You have no idea how scared I've been. I've heard opinions all over the board, mostly saying art will hurt me because I don't come from a quant background.

But reading this, I feel a little bit better. Hopefully my essays won't be a major failure.

I have heard from some b-school friends that I'm really "young" in terms of work experience. I've only worked two years at my job and have had two internships, even though I feel like I've gotten a lot accomplished. The thing is I don't know how else to comp for this... I am who I am and there's no way I can have more years of work experience than I do atm.

Do y'all think that this lack of quant experience and # of years worked will hurt?

Thanks again for all the help!
Tuck School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 330 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
 Q50  V47
Send PM
leilalu86 wrote:
I have heard from some b-school friends that I'm really "young" in terms of work experience. I've only worked two years at my job and have had two internships, even though I feel like I've gotten a lot accomplished. The thing is I don't know how else to comp for this... I am who I am and there's no way I can have more years of work experience than I do atm.

Do y'all think that this lack of quant experience and # of years worked will hurt?

Well, lack of quant expertise may be a major drawback for Booth.

Regarding work experience - show adcoms that this is the right time for you to pursue MBA and you'll be OK. I know, it is easier said than done. Conveying right message in essays is perhaps the toughest part of application process; but let's not forget, some get admitted with no work experience at all. It can be done. And it seems to me, you have the great background to start with.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Duke
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Quote:

Well look at this way, you have 7 replies to your post here. Now go and look at the first page of this subforum. Do you see anyone else with that many replies? Nope, most people have 0 or 1. Well I can only speak for myself, but I believe that is because they have boring profiles. Something I read and than don't feel the urge to reply to. Your case was/is different. Your story grabs ones attention and you need to utilize this in your essays. You do that successfully and the B-School is yours to pick.
Concerning WE, I'd say quality goes over quantity. Again, something you can convey in both your resume and essays. As for the quant experience, your test scores say you can handle it. And heck, you are going to B-School to learn about it - no need to have developed mathematical models for a hedge fund.

Again, I think you are in stellar (!) shape.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks so much for the input. They've given some much needed direction in my apps. I've locked myself up in my apt this weekend to work on the essays... Here goes nothing...
:|
GMAT Club Bot