Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 19:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chances at a top school

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Chances at a top school [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2005, 18:40
I have taken the GMAT 2 times

After much prep 1st attempt 580(Q36,V32)- terribly bombed- i think total lack of sleep.

a month later i took it again 680(Q44,V40)- i'm still not happy as on practice i have consistently scored 700+

i have 2 questions- will my first score affect me negatively?

i'm thinking of taking it again. is taking the exam 3 times going to negatively affect me?

I want to apply to top schools- harvard, stanford, wharton and I dont know if my GMAT is competitive there.

I am Indian Female IT professional. I have heard on this board that the Indian pool is extremely competitive. Is it less so for women?

thanks for the advice...
idream.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2005, 20:49
idream,
I'm answering for Linda today. I think it's Ok to take the GMAT 3 times without stigma. More than that looks bad.
I do think you need at least a 700 for the schools you mention, but your 680 is close and I think the odds are a bit better for an Indian woman. They see only a fraction of those vis-a-vis Indian males.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern

follow up [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2005, 07:27
thank you for your answer.

the reason i want a high GMAT is that i have done very badly in the first 2 years of my undergrad. i transferred from a college in india to a college in US after the 2 years. the undergrad gpa is quite high 3.8.
i also took graduate classes and completed a masters from a top tier university in us with again a high gpa of 3.8.
my problem is that the first 2 years of my undergrad, the mark list makes me cry- it is that bad.... I transferred 60 credits that i did well on. but i failed about eight courses. those classes do not show on my undergrad transcript, but are on the mark list from the first college. I was an engineering major- so the classes i failed were all tech. however, my undergrad and grad were also highly technical and i have gotten A grade almost throughout and on 6000 level computer classes.

the reason for my poor performance at that time is lack of maturity. i just didnt study or even go to class all that much..i was getting by with cramming before exams, but i fell sick during the last semester exams ,couldnt cram and consequently lost 4 papers. but after i got into my junior year i changed completely in the respect.

Anyway, will my marklist from the first 2 years of undergrad put me completely out of the race? I will have 6 + years of work experience when i get to school and have excellent work experience and recs.

Please advice,
Idream
Intern
Intern

Took GMAT again - [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2005, 16:28
I took the GMAT again. third attempt.

710 (Q47,V40).
Quant: 81% and Verbal:91%.

Please evaluate my profile based on this gmat score. Basically my question about the mark-sheet from my first 2 years of undergrad (the credits i transferred to the degree granting institution).

thanks much!
Idream
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Took GMAT again - [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2005, 14:57
Expert's post
idream wrote:
I took the GMAT again. third attempt.

710 (Q47,V40).
Quant: 81% and Verbal:91%.

Please evaluate my profile based on this gmat score. Basically my question about the mark-sheet from my first 2 years of undergrad (the credits i transferred to the degree granting institution).

thanks much!
Idream

You have a competitive profile for the schools on your list, but you do need to explain those first two years of bad grades. BRiefly ascribe the bad grades to immaturity and show how well you did after transfering and in your graduate degree program.

Please see "Low GMAT or GPA"

Good luck

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2005, 17:57
Thank you Linda for your answer.

idream.
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2005, 15:06
Expert's post
idream wrote:
Thank you Linda for your answer.

idream.

you're most welcome. Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2005, 18:46
Linda,

First of all thank for all your help. i got your 'submit a stellar application' and found it very useful.

Another question, if you can comment on what the adcoms will think when they see the word 'detained' on my marklist for one class. It is there because for that class i didnt attend class, submit work or attend the exam. I dont have transcripts, only official marklists and there are no explanations.

Thanks,
idream.
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2005, 16:47
Expert's post
idream wrote:
Linda,

First of all thank for all your help. i got your 'submit a stellar application' and found it very useful.

Another question, if you can comment on what the adcoms will think when they see the word 'detained' on my marklist for one class. It is there because for that class i didnt attend class, submit work or attend the exam. I dont have transcripts, only official marklists and there are no explanations.

Thanks,
idream.

I'm glad you found Submit a Stellar Application useful. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not sure how they will react to "detained," but it probably won't make them feel warm and fuzzy. Is that a mark you received during those first bad two years? If so, it will be explained in the essay where you address the bad grades.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2005, 18:24
Hi Linda,

Yes it is the mark for one of my courses. I plan to explain in the essay that I did badly in my 2nd year because I could only transfer 60 credits to the american university which had already accepted me. As I already had the 60 credits i needed, since the remaining wouldnt transfer anyway I skipped class... Anyway I didnt have the foresight to think about mark lists from that first 2 years. As that is the truth i am going to say it was my immaturity that made me make that decision. Should I explain the detained grade at all specifically. I think it means incomplete. I am hoping that my Masters gpa of 3.8 and my undergrad gpa of 3.88 and GMAT 710 will mitigtate most of the effect of this... I read your article on Low GPA/GMAT and I think i have pretty much done everything I can.

Thanks for all your advice.
idream.
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2005, 11:27
Expert's post
idream wrote:
Hi Linda,

Yes it is the mark for one of my courses. I plan to explain in the essay that I did badly in my 2nd year because I could only transfer 60 credits to the american university which had already accepted me. As I already had the 60 credits i needed, since the remaining wouldnt transfer anyway I skipped class... Anyway I didnt have the foresight to think about mark lists from that first 2 years. As that is the truth i am going to say it was my immaturity that made me make that decision. Should I explain the detained grade at all specifically. I think it means incomplete. I am hoping that my Masters gpa of 3.8 and my undergrad gpa of 3.88 and GMAT 710 will mitigtate most of the effect of this... I read your article on Low GPA/GMAT and I think i have pretty much done everything I can.

Thanks for all your advice.
idream.

I wouldn't go into any details about "detained." Write an essay taking responsibility for those first two years succinctly and attributing the results to poor judgement. Then point to what you did after that period when good judgement and maturity prevailed.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553