Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Apr 2014, 21:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

chances at HBS/colum/whar

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

chances at HBS/colum/whar [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2005, 12:59
Hi Scott and Omari,

Could you please evaluate my chances for Harvard/Col/Wharton? I will be taking the GMAT again in two days, but could you please give me an honest assessment based on my current GMAT score? My post-MBA ambition is to develop sustainable architecture as both an architect and developer, ideally throughout North America and Asia. I am Canadian-born, Asian Male, 28 yrs old.

Another question: In my web research I have yet to find any architect resumes for Harvard. Do you know of any architects at b-school at Harvard and how their profiles might compare with mine? I have only come across other architect resumes for Wharton and Columbia. Could you also talk a little bit about the advantage or disadvantage of applying as an architect? It would seem that architects comprise less than 1% of the b-school applicant field. Thanks.

GMAT 670 (43Q 39V 89% overall)( 2nd attempt from 610)
- B.Architecture Univ. of Toronto. GPA 3.3
- Studied abroad in Nice, France, travelled to to 11 countries and 40 cities throughout Europe in undergrad
- f-t exp: Intern Architect/designer--4 years, will be completing full licensure requirements in 2006.

- currently in lead role as designer on a new building for the University of Michigan Walgreen Drama School & the Arthur Miller Theater, Ann Arbor, Mich. ($35 mil.-under construction)
- Previous projects with significant design responsibilities:
- National Ballet School of Canada, Toronto ($90mill)- completed 2005
- Hewlett-Packard Science & Technology Institute, Centennial College,Toronto, 2004completed($65 million)

Both the Ballet School and HP Institute are critically acclaimed and have won design awards and been exhibited and published. The HP centre is also a "sustainable" building.

- I have excellent recommendations from two principals of the firm who have both taught at the Harvard Graduate School of Design.

-my undergrad. summer w. exp (all in Toronto) includes working in a small architecture firm managing all aspects of the practice, and a large international firm working on arch. competitions in Abu Dhabi, Hong Kong, Germany.

- AWARDS: U of T Scholarship, 2nd Place in Metro Toronto Violin Competition, numerous pre-university art and writing awards (do these really count?)
- XCUR- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Assistant Instructor and submission grappling competitor. Habitat for Humanity Volunteer.

THANKS
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 43

[#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2005, 09:06
Expert's post
Wow, that's a pretty cool, unique background. Absolutely DO NOT look at the statistics and think, "Oh, there are no artchitects in b-school. I shouldn't apply." I recommend that you look at it the other way: The fact that there are few architects in teh top schools makes you a unique property. Definitely use that to your advantage.

Those projects sound amazing. To the extent that you can show what YOU specifically did (rather than just what the team did), you can really show your strengths and stand out.

Also, some b-schools these days are REALLY interested in boosting their standing as schools that produce creative thinkers who can design great new products in addition to running spreadsheets. Take a look at Stanford's new "D-School" program, run by David Kelley of IDEO.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2005, 06:32
Thanks for your response Scott.

Unfortunately I will be applying with my current gmat of 670 which I know is below the average and on the lower end of the 80% range for the schools I am applying to--do you know what the best way to counteract this score would be? I'm going to talk about my unique work experience in my essays, but should I refer to my GMAT score explicitly in my essays, or should I just not mention it at all, and rely on the other aspects of my application? Thanks for your time.

J
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 43

[#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2005, 08:05
Expert's post
No need to address it in your essays. Show your analytical and verbal strengths in other ways (work experience and previous coursework). And keep in mind that a 670 isn't a terrible score!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews