Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 03:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chances at Rotman with sub-3.0 GPA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Chances at Rotman with sub-3.0 GPA? [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 12:37
I'm a Canadian citizen currently working in investment banking in New York and am interested in applying to Rotman. However, my undergrad GPA is below their stated "soft" cutoff of 3.0. I don't really have a good excuse for it; I was a lazy student who enjoyed learning but didn't care to do the work. (Anyone who wants to question my work ethic: I've been pulling 70+ hour weeks for over two years now. I just didn't care to work for grades; I got satisfaction from learning itself.) The only mildly mitigating factors might be the fact I went to an Ivy League school, majored in Mathematics -- not the easiest subject -- and also spent 20-40 hours a week as a writer and editor for my college's daily paper.

Assuming I have great essays and recommendations -- I'm good at expressing myself on paper and I can get glowing recommendations from very senior people at my firm -- and a 740+ GMAT, is it still a real longshot?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 111 [1] , given: 215

Re: Chances at Rotman with sub-3.0 GPA? [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2012, 15:28
This post received
KUDOS
Basically, if you get a 700 you are in! Have you tried the Aringo tool?

http://www.aringo.com/clientinfo/chance ... n27985.htm
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Chances at Rotman with sub-3.0 GPA? [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2012, 21:24
Anyone with a serious answer...?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT Date: 09-08-2012
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Chances at Rotman with sub-3.0 GPA? [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2012, 23:07
I would say your definitely going to get in if you can get 740 on the Gmat. Thats not an easy feet though especially working as much as you do. Your work experience sounds good and you have other good aspects to your application such as recommendations and extra curricula activities. You can definitely work the strengths of your application but there are some things I would not focus on such as mathematics is a harder degree than any other. Definitely give it a shot!

Thanks = +1 Kudos

Study from reliable sources!!

Thursdays with Ron: http://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm

Gmat Prep Questions:
CR gmatprepsc-105446.html
SC gmatprepsc-105446.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 215

Re: Chances at Rotman with sub-3.0 GPA? [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 08:49
brisbane87 wrote:
Anyone with a serious answer...?

Huh? It was a serious answer. If you expect the old "don't worry, Rotman takes a holistic approach for ..." that is useless advice. Rotman needs to recruit students with high GMAT scores to go up in the rankings and the probabilities of getting in with a 700+ GMAT are close to 1. Read past forums to see the big effrot by Rotman to recruit 700+ scores. Anyway, good luck in the application process mate.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.81
WE: Research (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 8

Re: Chances at Rotman with sub-3.0 GPA? [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 09:15
[quote="Ducksworth"]Basically, if you get a 700 you are in! Have you tried the Aringo tool?

This aringo tool was great... but my I scored just above 50...desperately hoping that they deflate scores to get more people to avail their services.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 215

Re: Chances at Rotman with sub-3.0 GPA? [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 13:35
Victorinox wrote:
Ducksworth wrote:

This aringo tool was great... but my I scored just above 50...desperately hoping that they deflate scores to get more people to avail their services.

If not, don't worry. Many things are out of control at this stage anyway. The only thing we can improve are GMAT scores and essays.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.81
WE: Research (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 8

Re: Chances at Rotman with sub-3.0 GPA? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 09:18
Ducksworth wrote:
Victorinox wrote:
Ducksworth wrote:

If not, don't worry. Many things are out of control at this stage anyway. The only thing we can improve are GMAT scores and essays.

Yeah true... but no intention of giving the GMAt again...so essays are the only option :)
Current Student
Schools: Schulich class of 2012
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 2

Re: Chances at Rotman with sub-3.0 GPA? [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 10:12
Rotman lives and breathes for students like you. They want to be considered with the big players in the states and your experience working in IB in New York before going to their school basically guarantees your admission. The unreal GMAT score you have is just icing on the cake. Despite what their website may say, it's not a stringent application process. When I applied, I got in with a phone interview about two weeks after I submitted the application, and I am positive it was because of my GMAT score, which is piddly in comparison to yours.

I was always annoyed by this suggestion when I was applying three years ago, but have you considered applying to more esteemed programs? I'm not saying Rotman is bad, but having just come out of a comparable Canadian MBA program and with lots of friends who went to Rotman, I'm not sure the opportunities are as fruitful for us in Canada. The quality of education is there, but the quality of administration (which is honestly the only reason most of us go for an MBA instead of an MPA, MF or MSc.) is just not as good in Canadian schools. Your experience in NYC is already what most of Rotman students aspire to attain after graduation and I'd be cautious of the buyer's remorse you'd likely have for not going to a more worldly school.

What I'm trying to say is with your profile, the question should be positioned whether Rotman is good enough for you, not whether you're good enough for them, because you are a shoe-in at that school.
Re: Chances at Rotman with sub-3.0 GPA?   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2012, 10:12