Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chances at top Canadian programs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: McGill Desautels Class of 2013
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Chances at top Canadian programs [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2010, 18:19
I'm looking to apply to some of the top Canadian programs and was wondering if anyone could assess my chances. I'm particularly interested in Schulich and McGill but will be applying to Queen's, UofT, Ivey and UBC as well.

Now for some information about myself:

760 GMAT 49Q 47V 6.0 AWA
2.5 years work experience in Economic Development (small business lending/marketing)
Undergraduate GPA 3.33 BCOMM (3.5 final two years)
Average references, nothing exceptional in that regard

The big "?" on my profile is my venture into and failure at law school. Under intense pressure from family I applied to and attended law school from 2007-2009 and absolutely despised it. Needless to say I performed poorly (failed 1L) and withdrew in the second semester of the retake of 1L simply because I didn't see the point in wasting any more effort in something I didn't enjoy, and because I wanted to begin focusing on GMAT preparation.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could guess at my chances for acceptance at any of the top Canadian MBA programs. Obviously I know that my undergraduate GPA, and my GMAT score are more appropriate measures of my ability to succeed but I worry about my ability to explain away the poor performance in law school. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by FergTron on 22 Nov 2010, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Schulich class of 2012
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 2

Re: Chances at top Canadian programs [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2010, 20:34
This post received
KUDOS
With a GMAT and a BComm, you'll have no problem getting into Schulich, UofT, Ivey, or UBC. I don't know enough about Queen's to let you know of their admission process. McGill shouldn't be an issue either. The only thing I know the three "Toronto" schools like is good extra-curricular activities - what are those like for you?
Manager
Manager

Re: Chances at top Canadian programs [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2010, 20:55
I've got a little hole in my extra curriculars while I was in law school but before and after that they are fairly strong. I co-chaired a Business Ethics Case Competition in undergrad where I was in charge of the finances and logistics (12 schools, $60,000 budget) and I do a fair amount of volunteer work i.e: several hours a week at LA Animal Shelter, balance books for a local church etc.

So I'd say I'm pretty average in that regard as well. I think my work with the Case Competition is a huge plus but the rest of the extracurriculars are fairly plain
Current Student
Schools: Schulich class of 2012
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 2

Re: Chances at top Canadian programs [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2010, 21:19
Don't underestimate the volunteer hours. That's probably more "interesting" to schools like Schulich and UBC than the case competition stuff. I mean, don't underestimate that stuff either, but the animal shelter hours are a great way to show you have ethical interests.

The only problem you'll have in the application process is choosing which school's offer to take.
Manager
Manager

Re: Chances at top Canadian programs [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2010, 20:29
Thanks for the responses KRussell. I appreciate your insight
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Chances at top Canadian programs [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2010, 08:49
Hi Fergtron,

We have oddly similar quantitative profiles (same GPA and GMAT). I'm currently only applying to Rotman. I'm interested in why you chose other schools as your top choices?
Intern
Intern
Schools: IE
WE 1: IT Consultancy
WE 2: Public Gov Sector
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Chances at top Canadian programs [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 02:29
i think with these numbers + WE + extra curricular, you should apply for top American MBAs.
Manager
Manager

Re: Chances at top Canadian programs [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 22:08
JZino:

Its not that I don't consider Rotman one of my top choices, I am just particularly interested in McGill at this point (international rep/brand recognition, best school in Mtl, very strong academic reputation). In terms of in-depth cross-program analysis I'll admit I haven't done much yet. As a Canadian who would prefer to remain in Canada I thought it would be prudent to toss applications out to all of the top-5/6 programs now and then perform more detailed research as I await responses. But my "top" choice right now is HEC - Paris, but at this point its a reach school for me.

Best of luck with your cycle, perhaps we'll meet at Rotman in the fall.

Jiang:

I considered applying to US MBAs but I'm not confident I could gain admission to the programs widely considered in the top 8-10 and if I can't get into one of those programs I think the better move for me would be to attend one of the top Canadian programs even if the quality of the education and employment opportunities are inferior. I'd preferably like to remain/return to Canada upon graduation but if I were able to get into a top US/Global MBA I would consider waiting 5-8 years to return (or decide against it altogether) in order to ensure my education is paid for.

The reason for the lack of confidence in the competitiveness of my application at top programs outside of my country has a lot to do with my WE. I will have only 2.5 years of work experience by September 2011 intake and within that 2.5 years is a gap where I made the mistake of attending law school. So essentially I feel that my WE lacks the career progression or leadership quality that many applicants will undoubtedly have and I will be at a disadvantage in that regard.

But with that said I have been putting a lot more thought recently into applying to some American MBA programs. Which programs do you suppose I should focus on? I would prefer traditional programs (16-20 months) with internship options to accelerated 1-year programs simply because I think the internship opportunity would really benefit my job search/networking etc. Thanks in advance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 59

Re: Chances at top Canadian programs [#permalink] New post 05 May 2011, 03:55
Hi, I am going through the same dilemma. My interest is in finance, though I have 10 years of operational management experience in hospitality. Since US schools seem a far cry, wts it like between Richard Ivey, York, Mcgill and Rottman.....I wish to stay back in Canada if not US. Hw stringent r their admission process....

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Re: Chances at top Canadian programs   [#permalink] 05 May 2011, 03:55