Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chances for a women to get in with low GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Chances for a women to get in with low GMAT [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 12:12
`

Last edited by natuago91 on 29 Nov 2008, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: Chances for a women to get in with low GMAT [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 10:54
natuago91 wrote:
What are my chances of getting in to top 50 schools and/or top 25 with:

Stat: female/25
gmat: 600
gpa: 3.7 (strong gpa from top 50 undergrad)
work: 4 years but moved around different companies (3) total. I was undecided on what I want to do after college.
activities: involved in some during/after college.

what's my chance at say NYU/Boston U/ USC/ UW/ etc.

natuago91,

I would say realistically that your chances are not good at NYU and USC unless you are an Underrepresented Minority. You might have a chance at Boston U. if the rest of your application is strong and you have, for example, a compelling personal story. I don't know which UW you're referring to -- Wisconsin? There too, you might have a shot. I recommend trying to raise your score, even 20 to 40 more points would improve your odds.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2007, 14:43
Thanks for your help,

I'm hoping to raise my score to around 640.
Is Asian Female considered under represented minority?

Here's my more detailed background:
some international background (studied abroad in college, lived overseas) and have a multicultural background (multi lingual ). Interested in working in the family business but would want to gain more experience at fortune 500 after mba (hence, the reasoning for mba, need to network, gain more "real world" experience before working for family.
work experience - fortune 500 worked for 3 companies total after graduation, each time promoted within a year.

I'm not sure if this will stand out because i'm female and my goals are somewhat different than the norm. I'm also hoping being a female in male dominated applications will help me boost my admission chances.
I'm hoping also to emphasize my international exposure especially to my family business in my application to differentiate myself.

Other Potential Schools: UC Davis, U of Washington, Boston College, Boston University, Babson, Rice.
What other school do I have a shot at? I would prefer to stay on the east or west coast. Thanks again.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2007, 14:57
natuago91 wrote:
Thanks for your help,

I'm hoping to raise my score to around 640.
Is Asian Female considered under represented minority?

Here's my more detailed background:
some international background (studied abroad in college, lived overseas) and have a multicultural background (multi lingual ). Interested in working in the family business but would want to gain more experience at fortune 500 after mba (hence, the reasoning for mba, need to network, gain more "real world" experience before working for family.
work experience - fortune 500 worked for 3 companies total after graduation, each time promoted within a year.

I'm not sure if this will stand out because i'm female and my goals are somewhat different than the norm. I'm also hoping being a female in male dominated applications will help me boost my admission chances.
I'm hoping also to emphasize my international exposure especially to my family business in my application to differentiate myself.

Other Potential Schools: UC Davis, U of Washington, Boston College, Boston University, Babson, Rice.
What other school do I have a shot at? I would prefer to stay on the east or west coast. Thanks again.

natuago91,

Being female and having unusual goals do help, but as an Asian female you are not considered an Underrepresented Minority. If you raise your score to a 640 you will have a shot at all the schools you named. You would also have a shot at the following quality programs: Michigan State, Vanderbilt, Indiana, Iowa, Washington Olin, Illinois, Georgia, Maryland.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter