Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 04:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chances in HBS

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Chances in HBS [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2005, 21:33
Hi!

I have just taken GMAT. My score was 770.

I am originally from Ukraine. I have a BS in Finance and a BA in Political Science from University of Utah. My GPA was 3.51.

I ran my own accounting/consulting business for 3 years. I then worked as a software engineer for over a year and am now a director of IT for a growing mid-size company (I've been there for almost 2 years and was promoted from originally a sales/customer support position).

My references will be impeccable. Two will be from the current employer, one from the President, and one from the Vice-President.

I am planning to apply to HBS, Wharton and Oxford. I'm mainly concerned with my chances at Harvard.

Please let me know what you think. What are my weaknesses?

Thank you in advance,

Vlad
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chances in HBS [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2005, 19:59
Expert's post
kiev79 wrote:
Hi!

I have just taken GMAT. My score was 770.

I am originally from Ukraine. I have a BS in Finance and a BA in Political Science from University of Utah. My GPA was 3.51.

I ran my own accounting/consulting business for 3 years. I then worked as a software engineer for over a year and am now a director of IT for a growing mid-size company (I've been there for almost 2 years and was promoted from originally a sales/customer support position).

My references will be impeccable. Two will be from the current employer, one from the President, and one from the Vice-President.

I am planning to apply to HBS, Wharton and Oxford. I'm mainly concerned with my chances at Harvard.

Please let me know what you think. What are my weaknesses?

Thank you in advance,

Vlad

You have a competitive profile for those 3 schools and a shot at HBS. Clearly it is the least likely admit however.

I think HBS likes brand and the school and firms you have been associated with are I am sure good firms, but they don't have that Harvard aura. I don't mean that Harvard doesn't admit anyone from a non Fortune 500 firm or that didn't attend a public or private Ivy. And you could be one of them, but I do think it is harder at Harvard when you don't have some shiny names on your resume or transcript.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

thank you [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2005, 21:15
Thank you!

Your feedback is exactly what I needed. Do you, by any chance, have any suggestions on how to strengthen my application? Do any specific achievements tend to mitigate the lack of 'brand appeal'?

Thank you again.

Vlad
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: thank you [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2005, 13:32
Expert's post
kiev79 wrote:
Thank you!

Your feedback is exactly what I needed. Do you, by any chance, have any suggestions on how to strengthen my application? Do any specific achievements tend to mitigate the lack of 'brand appeal'?

Thank you again.

Vlad

You're welcome.

HBS uses brand as a kind of pre-screening. It knows that top firms also value leadership, initiative, achievement. So you need to show those qualities as much as possible throughout your application. Show that you have had an impact on the organizations you have been a part of.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog